• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Detman101

• sansenri

• Sinistral1

• LizEF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:) Thanks for adding one to the "don't bother" list. :D Way too pale.  I bet it would be good on a brush for shading / washes, though.

Yikes!  This one almost makes J Herbin Gris Nuage look saturated by comparison on my screen!

Definite pass.  But thank you for the review.  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hey everyone,

Glad you all enjoyed the review. Yeah, this one was just weeeeeird. The chromatography on a piece of towel had a taupe color with yellow and lime green in the mix along with a thin line of pink. I can't make heads or tails of this ink...lol.
@mizgeorge If you're interested in the ink, send me a pm and I'll put it in the mail to you. I've done everything I need with it, it's all yours if you like.
:)

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

really peculiar, not sure who would actually find this usable...

If I had made the mistake of buying this, I think this would be a good candidate for mixing (possibly it's only use...).

According to the colour theory, grey is what you should use to desaturate a very vivid colour (vs dilution which changes the ink's surface tension properties and also favours feathering).

In case you like washed out inks this might be useful to test a few mixtures with vivid colours to get the desaturated versions...

This is so light I'd probably start 8 parts of this + 2 parts of your saturated ink, then add more saturated ink if you want slightly more saturation. :)

(check for precipitates before filling a pen with the mix).

12 hours ago, sansenri said:

really peculiar, not sure who would actually find this usable...

If I had made the mistake of buying this, I think this would be a good candidate for mixing (possibly it's only use...).

According to the colour theory, grey is what you should use to desaturate a very vivid colour (vs dilution which changes the ink's surface tension properties and also favours feathering).

In case you like washed out inks this might be useful to test a few mixtures with vivid colours to get the desaturated versions...

This is so light I'd probably start 8 parts of this + 2 parts of your saturated ink, then add more saturated ink if you want slightly more saturation. :)

(check for precipitates before filling a pen with the mix).

That sounds like a plan!
I had a feeling this would be a good mixing ink.
I'm going to try it first with the sample of "Penbbs - Out of the Clouds" that I reviewed a few weeks back.
I think the "Chesapeake Bay" will tone down that one nicely. I also want to try it mixed with "Pelikan - Aventurine" to see if I can tamp down that brightness in the ink.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

curious to see your mixes!

(When a colour is too bright you might also need to darken it a bit, any "tame" black should work, but add black very very sparingly.)

I do really like it, and see a role for it in drawing with a brush pen, as it might allow one to obtain various shades with successive passes. My only caveat is I do already have too many bottles of grey and I fear it'll take me some time to reach a point where I might need it.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

6 hours ago, sansenri said:

curious to see your mixes!

(When a colour is too bright you might also need to darken it a bit, any "tame" black should work, but add black very very sparingly.)

Awesome! I will be sure to tag you when I post a mix with it in this thread later this week :) I have "J.Herbin - Encre Noir", on your recommendation I'll try that first.

3 hours ago, txomsy said:

I do really like it, and see a role for it in drawing with a brush pen, as it might allow one to obtain various shades with successive passes. My only caveat is I do already have too many bottles of grey and I fear it'll take me some time to reach a point where I might need it.

That's the funny thing...it's billed as a pale brown/grey...yet I get nothing but a yellowish grey. Maybe you're right...it needs a heavier application of ink to the page to get the proper color.
🤔

2 hours ago, Aysedasi said:

Way too pale for me.  Looks like my P61 when I haven't quite managed to flush out all the black ink yet......

Hehehee...now that you mention it, it does look like exactly what you said!
😆

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

WOW - thank you for saving me!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

12 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

WOW - thank you for saving me!

Oh no problemo, this ink...I thought it would be a tannish...brownish...color, something closer to even "Stone road of Gion".
But nooooope....it's this weird washed out yellowish-grey that I can swear I saw coming out of someones catheter that was in a construction crushing accident
/incident when I worked in the OR.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

@sansenri @Aysedasi @txomsy
Well...I finally got around to mixing this ink with others. I took the advice of using it to lighten up other super dark inks and wow...it worked!!
I thought of my old favorite that I bought multiple bottles of waaaay back before I started using flex nibs...."Diamine - Lion rock".
That ink worked GREAT in regular nib pens...but for a flex-nib, it goes down waaaay too heavy on the paper and looks almost black.

I used the "Chesapeake Bay" in a 1:1 mixture and it lightened up the "Lion Rock" to the same appearance, function and fluidity of "P.E. - Smoky Quartz"!!
It flows very well and is wet enough thanks to the "LR" in the mix, but is dry enough to not spread out all over the page and keeps a tight line for when you want to write small. No feathering or bleeding either, even when heavy flexing!
You can see the yellowish tinge of the "Chesapeake Bay" in the ink-mix coloration. It gives it a sorta ethereal appearance...Kinda like a Tobacco color.
Now the only sucky thing is that I have to find more of the "Chesapeake Bay" to continue using the "Lion Rock"...lol.
I'll call this "Lion Bay"...shorter than typing out "Chesapeake Rock", lol.

10FEB22.jpg

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

6 minutes ago, LizEF said:

Very nice mix, @Detman101!  Much better than the original. :)

Kewl, Thanks Liz!
I much prefer this mixture over "Smoky Quartz" actually.
It's lighter in tone, smoother and less dry while still retaining the brown-ness that I adore.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

Great mix!

I liked the original (but I'm definitely in the small minority that love pale colours) but this is much more a Detman ink!