Philly Pen Show 2022

camoandconcrete

Was hoping to attend a pen show, not this one of course. Since I am local to California. Really want to find a Pelikan 500 at a decent price.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Parker51

• Barry Gabay

• inkstainedruth

• Richardtractorguy

3 hours ago, ethernautrix said:

Here's a link to Mike Matteson's walk-through of the Philly Show:

It seems that this video is not available for viewing. Unsure as to what happens next.

Thanks for the thought/intention though.

Stay safe and warm. It's 7 degrees here in the Boston, MA area today. May get up to 11 - wow!

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

3 hours ago, Gloucesterman said:

It seems that this video is not available for viewing. Unsure as to what happens next.

Thanks for the thought/intention though.

Stay safe and warm. It's 7 degrees here in the Boston, MA area today. May get up to 11 - wow!

That is weird. Huh. Did you try a YouTube search on "Mike Matteson?" Maybe the link is wonky cos I use a VPN on this particular device.

It was a balmy 5C (41F) today, with blue skies and not much wind (the wind is what makes it "too" cold). At the moment, it's 2C (36F), still not much wind at almost 19:30 (7:30 pm). I'll be taking the dog for a walk in about a half-hour or so (for about an hour, hour-and-a-half, taking advantage of the not-too-windy conditions).

Stay warm and cozy where you are!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

1 hour ago, ethernautrix said:

That is weird. Huh. Did you try a YouTube search on "Mike Matteson?" Maybe the link is wonky cos I use a VPN on this particular device.

Here it is:

Everyone has Covid copy.pdfNot going to pen shows, nor orchid shows at the moment.  If I lived in Florida, I probably would have gone to the Tamiami show given the Covid precautions they had in place and that it took place outside.  

I heard an interesting discussion inspired (?) by Oliver Sacks work with encephalitis lethargica that seems to indicate (but didn't try to prove, statistically) that its historically large prevalence may well have been linked to the influenza pandemic of c. 1918.  I don't want to be the guinea pig who ends up with a gene "turned on" by Covid, if I can help it.  

I wrote a poem based on my current view of the responses to the pandemic I see at this point in time... attached for those who wish.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Glad to see the video of the Philly Show. 
Recognized some of the participants, actually know a couple of them.

Surprised about some of the “makers” products that I haven’t seen before. 

Thank you for posting the video. Really enjoyed it.

I look forward watching others more so from the east coast as those would be ones that I might eventually get to see in-person.

Again, thank you.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

On 1/15/2022 at 2:56 PM, essayfaire said:

If I lived in Florida, I probably would have gone to the Tamiami show given the Covid precautions they had in place and that it took place outside.

After spending 10 desperately needed beach days there last year, "Florida precautions" sounds like the mother of all oxymorons. Granted, I'm in the NYC area, so in terms of attitude towards covid, if felt like going from the Antarctica to the Gobi Desert.

---------------------------------------------------------

We use our phones more than our pens.....

and the world is a worse place for it. - markh

Nice video. Thank you for sharing. Very comprehensive video stroll around the show.

Was there for several hours on Saturday. Met some new friends whom I'd previously known only online. And came home with yet another used 149 with platinum trim and another great book by Scott Jones of his daily illustrations made with vintage flex-nib fountain pens.

Everyone in hotel & show was masked. Vaccination cards and photo ID required to enter the show. Protocols were taken seriously by hotel staff, pen show crew, and those in attendance. 

Stay well. Get boosted. 

15 hours ago, alexwi said:

After spending 10 desperately needed beach days there last year, "Florida precautions" sounds like the mother of all oxymorons. Granted, I'm in the NYC area, so in terms of attitude towards covid, if felt like going from the Antarctica to the Gobi Desert.

I would imagine so.  Basically, the Tamiami Show is a basically a private event with which Motes Orchids is heavily involved and gets to set the rules.  Which in this case, meant they moved the show (both in terms of calendar and to a location that could accommodate an outdoor show) and my impression was they were enforcing distancing.  I didn't go, so I'm not completely sure.  

The problem with both Antartica and the Gobi is they are both so dry...

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Barry,

Thank you for reporting on the show.  Based on your time spent at the show, do you have an impression on show attendance compared with pre-COVID era shows?

Regards,

Craig

Hello Craig,

Having attended the Philadelphia show as a vendor and as a civilian for many years, I saw this one as smaller and less crowded with attendees. According to vendors I talked with on Saturday, that was the case.  However, those who attended were buying. At the Raleigh show in June, where I attended for one day, and the DC show in August where I manned my vendor's table for 4 days, attendance was down. However, at both shows, those in attendance were buying widely.  

This is not an original idea, but it's going to take time for pen shows to feel like pre-Covid shows again. Of course, this is the case with every aspect of life. We can all be cautious, hoping this will allow us to live our lives without endangering ourselves or others. 

Take care. Be well.

Best wishes,

Barry

I read on the official fountain pen network fb group, that a vendor had some of their wares stolen. Was it at this show?

Barry,

Thank you for your prompt reply.  

It is good to hear that buyers were in attendance, even if attendance was down.  We will attend the Baltimore Pen show in March and possibly the DC show later this year.  Can't wait for things to get closer to normal and we hope that attendees take necessary precautions at those shows as with the Philly show.

Glad you found a MB149.  I will be looking for one at a future show.

Thanks again, Barry.

Regards,

Craig

Hello Tito,

Sadly, early Friday morning as vendors were still setting up, someone walked off with four portfolios of Platinums  and other pens from a vendor's table. There are posts & comments about it on Instagram, and I assume elsewhere.  

Hello Craig,

Hope you can get to Baltimore and DC. I'll have a table at each of those shows. They are my two favorite shows. I wasn't even looking for another 149. It just showed up at a very reasonable price. That's one of the fun aspects of a pen show: unexpected finds. 

Be well,

Barry

29 minutes ago, Barry Gabay said:

Hello Tito,

Sadly, early Friday morning as vendors were still setting up, someone walked off with four portfolios of Platinums  and other pens from a vendor's table. There are posts & comments about it on Instagram, and I assume elsewhere.  

Oh, no!  That's awful!  Did the police get called in?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."