Montblanc 146 W-Germany with busted nib...repair or sell?

GreenMountain

Hi!  My brother asked me to dispose of a stash of pens which includes a Montblanc 146 4810 with a broken nib.  Pics are attached.  The pen itself seems in OK condition: some wear on the body, no nicks or big scratches, the piston mechanism works fine.  I don't want to keep the pen as it is too big for me.  Should I just post it on eBay, or buy a new nib and then sell it?  What minimum price do you recommend, repaired or as is?

The serial number on the ring is FB108683 W-Germany.

Thanks much!

PXL_20220103_194345625-min.jpg

PXL_20220103_194603012-min.jpg

PXL_20220103_200001542-min.jpg

PXL_20220103_200447018.PORTRAIT-min(2).jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GreenMountain

• Karmachanic

• katerchen

• lionelc

I suggest you;

Look up the selling prices of used 146s

Look up the price of a 146 nib

Ask a repairer the cost of installing a 146 nib

Add or deduct those costs depending upon what you decide to do.

Add lightness and simplicate.

Used 146's seem to go from $120 to $800 (not very helpful data points).

I don't know where to buy a Montblanc nib, and nor do I know any pen repairers.  Do you know?

Thanks.

Check with Greg Minuskin ... this could be nicely re-tipped into a stub or OB/OBB with minimal loss to the overall nib length. And he also quite possibly has several spares in the parts pile.

with a pre 1990 146, i agree with @katerchen, worthwhile getting a quote from greg re retipping - who knows? you may want to keep it for yourself or if sold would sell for a markedly higher price.  they are priced around 400usd at present.

Retipping the existing nib or buying a new nib from Montblanc are both going to be expensive. Approx. US$350 for a new nib from Montblanc and you would receive back a virtually brand new pen. You wouldn't be making much money if you did either prior to selling it so unless you really want to keep it for yourself then forget about the nib and sell it as is.

2 hours ago, Dione said:

buying a new nib from Montblanc

I'd be inclined to purchase a used retipped one for half of that.

One could purchase a used complete 146 for $350.  Harvest the nib and sell the rest as parts.

Add lightness and simplicate.

• 2 weeks later...

Great advice.  Thanks a lot.  I don't want to keep this pen so for simplicity I'll contact Mr. Minuskin and go from there.  Having never sold a single thing online, am inclined to see if I can get someone else to deal with this.

• 5 months later...

I sold all my brother's pens to Greg Minuskin, except a few that I kept.  Highly recommend him.  I sent him two to recondition. He told me that one, a Sailor with a rubber mechanism with a tube inside, needed to be re-tipped.  He fixed it, and cleaned the other one.  The Sailor is the most wonderful pen that I have and I use it daily. 

Since I don't really know how to fill it, I'll see if I can get some advice on a Sailor thread.

Thanks, everyone, for the great advice.