Koh I Noor - Document Black - Cartridge

yazeh

This is a short review.

I'll start with the chroma:
large.Chroma.jpeg.3f440917e8043ac00e67b8df7c2503a3.jpeg

I got a package of cartridges on a whim and was delightfully surprised, by the green/black colour and the sheen:
Scan (Paper is TR 68gr)
large.400914720_guess1.jpeg.981251466de835f0cda4d70a1a1ebbb3.jpeg
Photo
large.20211106_100626.jpg.309f19b8d64c3ec1eb7bb4e04733c56a.jpg

large.20211106_120652.jpg.18bf392402de9a232636715b6058eb98.jpg

This is a certified document ink, but unlike other non-certified inks (Noodler’s bulletproof, Real IG inks (Essri or Registrars for ex.) and pigment inks, Koh ink lost quite a bit of ink under running water and smudged quite a bit with alcohol and bleach.
large.1843251051_kohinoorwateetest.jpeg.6c718626f922945a61f3a0879711a1c0.jpeg

Koh I Noor was established by Josef Hardtmuth in Vienna in 1790, making pencils. By 1847 the company moved to the city of České Budějovice (Budweiss) in Bohemia, Southern Czechoslovakia. The company established a branch of the company in Bloomsbury, New Jersey in 1890.

It didn't like very much the FIELD NOTEBOOKs, which is not FP friendly...

large.562920539_KohiNoor--FN1.jpeg.e107c1f84357c5e2e85a67f55ea93acd.jpeglarge.217838569_KohiNoor-FN-BK1.jpeg.088154334a1e04c4572aa2c29b209033.jpeg

After World War II, the two companies became distinct. The American company focused on technical drawing material (Radiograph®), while the European company on school supplies, paint, ink etc. 
The US Koh I - Noor, claims that the letters H, B, and F for pencils, were created by the company, H for Hardtmuth, B, for Budweiss, and F, for Franz the inventor of the system.  

This ink is made by the European company. Their fountain pen ink line is minimal. Document Black/ Blue and 4/5 other colours. These inks are ridiculously cheap in Europe. They come in cartridge and bottled (glass/plastic).

Here is a comparison with other blacks..

large.26766341_KohiNoor-Compariason.jpeg.6bed09a4b5f7a18b1eb85ef2ccca4050.jpeg

And finally as a side note, Koh I - Noor, (Mountain of Light, from Persian) and is one of the largest cut diamonds, which now belongs to the British Crown.

• Pens used: Jinaho 450 medium and fude nibs
• Shading: Quite a bit
• Ghosting: Not really.
• Bleed through: Depends on paper nib/ combination.  
• Flow Rate: Wet
• Lubrication: Great
• Nib Dry-out: No
• Start-up: No
• Saturation: Dark
• Shading Potential: With flex and depending on paper
• Sheen: None
• Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Not noticed much. 
• Nib Creep / “Crud”: No
• Staining (pen): Easy to clean…
• Clogging: Nope
• Water resistance: Good. But nothing like pigment/ bulletproof or good IG inks, surprisingly. 
• Availability: 30 gr (Glass bottle), 50 gr (plastic bottle), cartridges (tall)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yazeh

• LizEF

• chromantic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review, @yazeh:) For a black ink, I found the writing samples quite appealing (probably due to the shading) - black ink usually makes me yawn.

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

And finally as a side note, Koh I - Noor, (Mountain of Light, from Persian) and is one of the largest cut diamonds, which now belongs to the British Crown.

Hmm.  Now the back of my brain is chugging away.  Maybe Unique is from the Mountain of Light.... :)

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

Thanks for the review, @yazeh:) For a black ink, I found the writing samples quite appealing (probably due to the shading) - black ink usually makes me yawn.

Hmm.  Now the back of my brain is chugging away.  Maybe Unique is from the Mountain of Light.... :)

Thanks Liz :) It is quite an interesting ink... Note I mostly use TR 68gr paper. I'm too snob for Rhodia... I might ink another pen and try it.... 

Glad something at least chugged your mind.... It might interest you, there's another diamond called Sea of light.. it is slightly bigger :D

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

Note I mostly use TR 68gr paper. I'm too snob for Rhodia... I might ink another pen and try it.... 

:lol: 68gsm TR might be my favorite paper.  I use the dot pads in my reviews because dot pads are so well known - it seemed like a good way for folks to relate.  And all my 68gsm TR is bound in books.

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

Glad something at least chugged your mind.... It might interest you, there's another diamond called Sea of light.. it is slightly bigger

Hmm.  I don't know if we'll make it to the sea.  Maybe in the next phase of our adventure.  Sea of Light sounds interesting though...  Do sphinxes swim...? :unsure:🤔

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

:lol: 68gsm TR might be my favorite paper.  I use the dot pads in my reviews because dot pads are so well known - it seemed like a good way for folks to relate.  And all my 68gsm TR is bound in books.

I buy the Taroko Design - Enigma Notebooks. they last me about 6 months... :D

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

Hmm.  I don't know if we'll make it to the sea.  Maybe in the next phase of our adventure.  Sea of Light sounds interesting though...  Do sphinxes swim...? :unsure:🤔

Ask Makhabesh?! ;) Anyway, you can have the creature coming from the sea... :)

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

Anyway, you can have the creature coming from the sea... :)

Hmm.  The Loch Ness Monster makes a guest appearance... ;)  Ooo, no, it's mother! 😱

Interesting color, thanks for presenting this.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

19 hours ago, LizEF said:

Hmm.  The Loch Ness Monster makes a guest appearance... ;)  Ooo, no, it's mother! 😱

Mama. Mia!

17 minutes ago, chromantic said:

Interesting color, thanks for presenting this.

Most welcome :)