No New Pens in 2022

brokenclay

Always start out slow and tapper off to prevent this type of resolution from ever being an issue. 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• brokenclay

• sirgilbert357

• inkstainedruth

11 hours ago, sirgilbert357 said:

I'm not using eBay and I don't know where else I would sell them.

I joined /r/fountainpens on reddit.com so that I can list pens on /r/Pen_Swap. That's worked out well for me.

Ok, people, time to talk me down! (Hopefully by just writing this out I will talk my own self down.)

Someone is selling a Pelikan Signum 540 with a 14K 0.6mm stub nib.

Now, I have a Signum 520 (steel nib). Lovely writer, but too slim for comfortable long term writing. It's on my "to sell" pile.

I don't need another one, even if it is a stub. And the barrel has some pitting. And it's personalized (although I kind of like that, but this is an institution's name engraved, not a person's).

8 minutes ago, brokenclay said:

Ok, people, time to talk me down! (Hopefully by just writing this out I will talk my own self down.)

Now, I have a Signum 520 (steel nib). Lovely writer, but too slim for comfortable long term writing. It's on my "to sell" pile.

I don't need another one, even if it is a stub. And the barrel has some pitting. And it's personalized (although I kind of like that, but this is an institution's name engraved, not a person's).

The world is watching. Does he have the right stuff? Will he suffer eternal humiliation in the eyes of right-thinking fountain pen offionados everywhere (including the whole world)?

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”  Alan Greenspan

45 minutes ago, ajoe said:

The world is watching. Does he have the right stuff? Will he suffer eternal humiliation in the eyes of right-thinking fountain pen offionados everywhere (including the whole world)?

Ooh, public shaming! I like it!

7 minutes ago, Aysedasi said:

My new Diplomat Aero arrived two days ago.  Sod resolutions.........  ☺️

That's ok, you're still a good person.

7 minutes ago, Aysedasi said:

I'm so very sorry. Perhaps you can try again next year.

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”  Alan Greenspan

8 minutes ago, ajoe said:

I'm so very sorry. Perhaps you can try again next year.

No, no, no! Keep trying this year! (If it's important to you).

2 minutes ago, brokenclay said:

No, no, no! Keep trying this year! (If it's important to you).

Wait, what?! You just buy a new pen and take a mulligan?

4 minutes ago, ajoe said:

Wait, what?! You just buy a new pen and take a mulligan?

Yes. This isn't a competition with rules, it's an attempt to change how you approach consumerism and acquisitiveness.

1 hour ago, brokenclay said:

The seller revised the listing to a Silvexa P28.  

1 hour ago, I-am-not-really-here said:

The seller revised the listing to a Silvexa P28.  

Still a stub..

1 hour ago, Aysedasi said:

It isn't....    ;)

That's cool, too.

I have enough pens.  Infact, I have a few I intend to give away to friends and associates who may want to try a 'real pen'.  That said, temptation being what it is and the possibility of a limited edition that may motivate it -- and my track record with such during 2021, I make no promises about pen buying during 2022.

3 hours ago, Aysedasi said:

Ah, but when did you order it?  2021?

Well, it took me slightly over 30 years to quit smoking…

I know myself enough to realize that it will take time for the infatuation/addiction to plateau, stabilize, then slowly decline to a slightly lower level (quantity wise) at which point I am happy, calm, confident, and no longer frantically looking down with tunnel vision at every and all source of information for moremoremore. Basically the point at which the opinion poller is at present.

It happened before with other hobbies/collections. This experience gives me some confidence. I did surprise  myself at the end of December with the purchase of a limited edition maki-e Sailor, so the peak of the mountain (or the bottom of the rabbit hole - depending how you look at it) starts to come in sight. But I will not reach it yet in 2022…more climbing to do still…

14 hours ago, peroride said:

As I finished reading aloud the original post ...

Wife: "That's what we all say and then they magically appear! "

😂:lticaptd:

My husband just rolls his eyes at this point, for the most part.  

I can't say I won't buy any pens in 2022 because I don't know what will cross my path (I was really good in 2020, and managed to stick to the "Pen of the Month Club" which Bo Bo Olsen constantly touts).  2021, though?  Not so much....  Too many "OOOH, shiny!" pens, too many great deals in antiques shops and at estate sales, yada yada....  I'm also gonna blame the fact that there were not a lot of repair people at the pen shows I went to last year (which was what I had actually budgeted for).  And I'll totally blame Mr. Cute and Fuzzy over the TWSBI 700 Vac Iris -- I'd been looking at those since the summer only nobody had them in stock since the spring.  And then, wouldn't you know?  Anderson Pens got them back in.  And I was sort of waffling over the price and my husband said "Merry Christmas!"

There are pens on my wish list, but so far they have been either too expensive or completely unobtanium....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Famous last words for FP users.

Said it last year and years before, but always there's some cute Chinese pen with interesting design, or some great deal on a pen you've aimed for years. 

Good plan. My aim is first to sell a lot of my pens. I have about 20-25 slated to keep for now. I bought a Nakaya last year, which just arrived, and I considered that my last pen. But now a Pilot Custom 845 is making its way over here and I’m waiting for two more pens. I see how I feel when I have gotten rid of all the pens I clearly don’t want anymore. I’m still haunted by selling pens in the past and rebuying them later, so I have to be careful knowing I have no discipline in this regard.

and I would definitely have to drop all FP-related browsing because it’s that that makes want the new shiny stuff in the first place.

No signature. I'm boring that way.