• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• OldTravelingShoe

• Misfit

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pilot Justus 95 with F nib, after spending ages cleaning out the not-completely-dried-out (refilled) cartridge of R&K Scabiosa that has been in the pen for heaven knows how long, and whatever was stuck inside the nib/tab/feed/section. It has now taken over the mostly full (refilled) cartridge of Platinum Classic Ink Lavender Black, plucked from a Pilot Elite 95S in which the ink wasn't working too well.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

On 1/10/2022 at 10:42 AM, ethernautrix said:

Already swapped out the Pilot 92 (F) for a Nakaya Naka-ai aka-tamenuri with a Pilot #15 F nib, same ink (literally - syringed the ink from 92 into a Platinum cartridge, then topped it off). I might prefer the smaller F nib, but I really like the larger one, too.

Aaand a coupla hours after posting this, I cleaned out the Naka-ai -- and a Lamy CP1 that I hadn't considered (cos red ink, and I seldom use red ink). So now I'm using these two (as per usual):

200973981_20220111_132004_resize_322.thumb.jpg.674a5f7957c19d4d01ce7737324aa1a5.jpg

The Moonman C2 (with washi tape to hide the cracks in the cap (from a coupla drops, oops)) and what I call Kuropo (cos kuro-tamenuri with PO nib) (Nakaya Piccolo), both with Pilot nibs. 

Boring? Maybe. I prefer the term "consistent." 

Heh.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

By the way, anyone else use the same few pens over some period of time, at least a week, and then post on FPN (I'm using these pens!) and then within, say, 24 hours change it up?

Just me?

I'm thinking, I'm well satisfied using these pens, and then, after commenting in this sort of thread... I kindv want to clean one of them out.(Or add one. Or two.)

These two comprise my foundational "carry": I add and subtract on top of these two pens. Both nibs have been in consistent service since I got them, the #10 PO nib for at least seven years and the #15 PO nib for almost three years. 

etherX in To Miasto

39 minutes ago, ethernautrix said:

By the way, anyone else use the same few pens over some period of time, at least a week, and then post on FPN (I'm using these pens!) and then within, say, 24 hours change it up?

Just me?

Mine always tend to run out of ink, and therefore fall out of the rotation, about 5 minutes after I post them as my pen for the day! ;)

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

My newly refurbished Christmas present - black Kaweco Sport with EF nib, bronze clip, blue Kaweco cartridge.  Nice little writer.08244276-528D-47BE-94B4-DDCAF9D8D22B.thumb.jpeg.ff736c18fd64f5db2d48e755bf6e8724.jpeg

large.IMG_2362.JPG.4f52a739e10db57faab83e3845cf569a.JPG

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

17 hours ago, Peter_H said:

My newly refurbished Christmas present - black Kaweco Sport with EF nib, bronze clip, blue Kaweco cartridge.  Nice little writer.08244276-528D-47BE-94B4-DDCAF9D8D22B.thumb.jpeg.ff736c18fd64f5db2d48e755bf6e8724.jpeg

Love my Kaweco Sports.

On 1/11/2022 at 8:38 PM, ethernautrix said:

Just me?

Hmmm... only if I really like the ink. I'm beginning to think there's an Ink Fairy topping up the 'mistakes' when I'm not watching, because it takes forever for them to run out.

Current forever-lasting pen & ink is a Sailor Shikiori Yozakura filled with Robert Oster Tiverton Rust - nice ink, but in this pen, so pale I can hardly read it.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Instead of running my pens dry, I re-seal the cartridges (with tape), label them, and keep them vertical in a demitasse cup. 

Cos I'll probably post "I'm using only two pens, hey!," and then, within 24 hours, the niggling will set in. "How about that Kaweco's EF nib, hm? How's that Pilot Falcon's SEF nib write again? Been a while since I've used a Danitrio, and it is winter.... Maybe I should bring a blue ink back into the mix... or a brown?"

I'm trying to stop the monkey mind by insisting on only two (fountain) pens. (Currently supplemented by about a half-dozen gel pens.)

etherX in To Miasto

1 hour ago, ethernautrix said:

Instead of running my pens dry, I re-seal the cartridges (with tape), label them, and keep them vertical in a demitasse cup. 

Does this hold for a while? I have too many pens inked up, but feels wrong to just throw away the ink in them. If the taped cartridges could last for a few months, I would at least have some flexibility (and cleaner pens). 

Also, nice meeting you. 

Conklin Word Gauge with 14k medium nib, marked "Made in Italy", probably by Stipula. It has a huge ink capacity!

20220113_222710.jpg

On 1/11/2022 at 7:38 AM, ethernautrix said:

Just me?

I'm thinking, I'm well satisfied using these pens, and then, after commenting in this sort of thread... I kindv want to clean one of them out.(Or add one. Or two.)

These two comprise my foundational "carry": I add and subtract on top of these two pens. Both nibs have been in consistent service since I got them, the #10 PO nib for at least seven years and the #15 PO nib for almost three years. 

This (and similar) threads typically cause me to review my recent usage patterns and consider whether it is time to rotate into new pens.

If you read more than a couple of my posts, my affinity for Pelikan, Edison, and Lamy should be pretty obvious. With few exceptions, I tend to stick to similar nibs and pen models/sizes (yes, consistent--that is the correct term.... :)). Where I seek variety is in pen body and ink colors. When I am able to maintain discipline, I keep about 4 pens inked at any one time, and rotate through about a dozen pens in total on a roughly quarterly basis (I use/fill any given pen probably twice over a three month period--a maybe 3 or 4 if it is a converter pen with small capacity). Then I pick a new dozen or so, and rate them for another quarter. In this way, I typically use most of my accumulation of pens over the course of a year. I also use the rule of thumb that I should use all of my pens at least annually to help me constrain the number of pens I own to something my heirs will not have to work hard to figure out what to do with when I am no longer here (not that I expect my departure to be anytime soon, but I continue to amaze myself how much (bleep) I can accumulate over the years if I don't explicitly limit myself).

I have found this process also good for identifying pens that I thought I liked but don't really use, and thus make them candidates for disposal (usually to trade away or gift), and open up space for something new.

Today it is a Pelikan M605 White White with m puck* nib and P.Edelstein Tanzanite.

452192870_2022P_M605_White.thumb.jpeg.beb92e277c7a51f27472d0a0decf4d5d.jpeg

(Unfortunately, bad light, here in the office)

*The puck nib is a bit stubby and has the out-of-the-box-Pelikan-M600-standard-microflex. With a light hand it draws almost equal lines in vertical and horizontal direction. The stub character is a bit more pronounced with gentle pressure. However, the normal and fast handwriting has dynamic line variation that is neither stub nor italic.

The pen - nib - ink combo turned out great; I will definitely use it for a longer time!

One life!

31 minutes ago, InesF said:

Today it is a Pelikan M605 White White with m puck* nib and P.Edelstein Tanzanite.

452192870_2022P_M605_White.thumb.jpeg.beb92e277c7a51f27472d0a0decf4d5d.jpeg

(Unfortunately, bad light, here in the office)

*The puck nib is a bit stubby and has the out-of-the-box-Pelikan-M600-standard-microflex. With a light hand it draws almost equal lines in vertical and horizontal direction. The stub character is a bit more pronounced with gentle pressure. However, the normal and fast handwriting has dynamic line variation that is neither stub nor italic.

The pen - nib - ink combo turned out great; I will definitely use it for a longer time!

Really nice-looking pen! I have one as well, and it makes me smile every time I pick it up…

I also like Tanzanite in that it is an attractive and functional blue-black that does not seem to stain. I use it often in my demonstrators.