What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

3 minutes ago, Doug C said:

That's why I got an extra fine nib. I just had a gut feeling. 

Smart move, how's that working out?

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• OldTravelingShoe

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

5 minutes ago, Doug C said:

That's why I got an extra fine nib. I just had a gut feeling. 

Now this interesting... a double post.

On 5/30/2023 at 6:56 PM, Helen350 said:

Lamy Aion - M. nib.  Ink:  Dryden Designs Sky Blue

IMG20230530174721.jpg

IMG20230530174739.jpg

That's a very nice photo Helen350 🙂  Also the first time I've seen that version of an Aion.  Nice !!!! 👍

49 minutes ago, USG said:

Smart move, how's that working out?

It's about the same as my 605 medium. 

the Danitrio Fellowship

17 hours ago, USG said:

My M1000 has a Fine nib. The problem I've encountered is that the pen has an enormous ink flow and writes like a super wet medium or broad depending on the paper.  

Yes!  I've got an M1000 Stresemann with the F nib and it writes like yours.

Think Different

Odds and ends....
Retro 51 desk pen
Sheaffer Clipper with a ground sort of stub

Mabie Todd gold-filled

This has been a "finish up fills" day for me.  So went through 4 pens just to get today's Morning Pages entry done:

1) Noodler's Forbidden City Konrad, flex nib -- Noodler's Heart of Darkness.

2) Parke Ciselé 75, B nib -- MB Jimi Hendix LE.

3) Parker Dove Gray 51 Vac, F (?) nib -- Robert Oster Sydney Lavender.

4) Parker Red Shadow Wave Vac, F nib -- Waterman Mysterious Blue.

The 75 is now being flushed out; the Konrad was refilled, and the 51 Vac will be refilled shortly (misplaced the sample vial, because the "organization" of the sample vial trays has gone to H-E-double-hockey-sticks in a hand basket... :headsmack:).  

Another sample vial holder and another package of empty sample vials is on my short list of "To buy real soon now...."

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I just got a Monteverde 10-ink blue assortment.  Using Wearevers, Pilots, a Pentel Tradio, Arnold, and a Standard, all as dippers to play with these inks.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Just inked up my Montegrappa Zero to see how that one writes.  It is a stunning pen with its greenish pattern and, with an "F" nib, is writing like a European "EF." 

Since the other two pens I have inked up are a Diplomat and a Cross, I have to remember to unscrew rather than pull.  

During the summer, I usually do not write as much with the pens as I don't have to grade and, presently, I have no Ph.D. student sending me dissertation chapters to comment upon.  However, summarizing some of the documentary sources, which I usually do while researching and writing, can give me the pleasure of using the fountain pens.  At this point, I am still finishing up a long nine-book book review and it's all typing and computer screen (alas!).

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

I’ve used a TWSBI Swipe in Prussian Blue (1.1mm stub nib) with Diamine Prussian Blue ink. I put J Herbin Cafe des Iles in a coffee brown sparkle Jinhao 82 with a 1.1mm stub nib I’ll try out later.  

Posted Image

LAMY 2k with an OM nib and LAMY Amazonite Crystal ink.

I truly enjoy this smooth writing nib and ink.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

On 5/31/2023 at 1:39 PM, USG said:

Trying to find an ink for the M1000:

The problem: dip testing didn't reveal the true line width so I  removed the nib, and added half an eyedropper of ink to the barrel for each ink, then bulb flush, dry and next ink

• Edelstein Sapphire <--started with
  • 4001 Konigsblau vintage
  • Diamine Sapphire
  • Diamine China Blue
  • 4001 Blue-Black vintage
  • Robert Oster Ng Special
  • Robert Oster Australis Oak
  • Diamine Prussian Blue
  • Monteverde Fire Opal
  • J Herbin Bleue Nuit vintage
  • J Herbin Violette Pensee vintage
  • Diamine Mediteranean Blue
  • Diamine Majestic Blue
  • Edelstein Topaz <-- ended with, still not satisfied

IMG_3878 900.jpg

Maybe there is a problem with the pen.

Jinhao 3000 - Goulet 1.1 stub.  Ink:  Diamine Shimmering - Magical Forest

IMG20230608233444.jpg

IMG20230608233456.jpg

This is whats inked up on my desk this week.

I dont usually have quite so many inked at the same time, but I was off into the desert adventuring last weekend and the two Lamys (Al star and Safari) are my 'adventuring pens' so will have to be run out now... one doesnt like to waste the good stuff.

IMG_20230605_184711_708.jpg

22 hours ago, Misfit said:

I’ve used a TWSBI Swipe in Prussian Blue (1.1mm stub nib) with Diamine Prussian Blue ink. I put J Herbin Cafe des Iles in a coffee brown sparkle Jinhao 82 with a 1.1mm stub nib I’ll try out later.  

Prussian Blue is one of my very favourite inks, and my standard desktop blue! I usually have it in a TWSBI 580 ALR in the same colour. 

@JamesonJabiru so true about Prussian Blue. It’s cool how it goes on wet as one blue, then dries as another blue. The color is exactly what I wanted in this ink. I accidentally put the wrong ink in a Lamy, so gave that converter of ink to my Al-Star blue green. So we have the same pen among our inked pens.  

Posted Image

On 6/5/2023 at 10:52 PM, zeroduke said:

Yes!  I've got an M1000 Stresemann with the F nib and it writes like yours.

My M1000 is my least favourite fountain pen I own, I bought it second hand with a medium nib and then bought an additional fine nib with barely any variance whatsoever, it is so flexed I can't write with it properly and similarly gushes ink - if anyone is looking to add to their collection then DM me.. (Hopefully I haven't broken any rules by saying that!)