What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

@ParramattaPaul I don't see the irony at all.  My husband ALWAYS did his first drafts of computer code with pen and paper (albeit with ballpoints for most of his career).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• OldTravelingShoe

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

4 minutes ago, Gloucesterman said:

And your point is...?

Go ahead. I dare you... Post it!

Don't be oblique. Or do you think I am too obtuse to understand?

Either way, I am fine with it but I can be flexible.

:lticaptd:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

3 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

@ParramattaPaul I don't see the irony at all.  My husband ALWAYS did his first drafts of computer code with pen and paper (albeit with ballpoints for most of his career).

The Irony -- to me at least -- is a product of 21st Century technology being 'signed' (AKA 'notated') with early 20th Century technology.

New hazard unlocked.

large.HongDian620FlamingSexandColorverseDarkEnergy.jpg.88d98cc38380a49fed5bf2aa408f6d55.jpg

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

7 hours ago, Gloucesterman said:

And your point is...?

Go ahead. I dare you... Post it!

Don't be oblique. Or do you think I am too obtuse to understand?

Either way, I am fine with it but I can be flexible.

Sorry my english is bad, I didn't fully understand your message. I've been using fountain pens to sign documents for 20 years now, and I don't see anything unusual about it.

18 minutes ago, Tashi_Tsering said:

Sorry my english is bad, I didn't fully understand your message. I've been using fountain pens to sign documents for 20 years now, and I don't see anything unusual about it.

Your English is fine! Gloucesterman was attempting a joke by playing with fountain pen words. :)

Will work for pens... :unsure:

6 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Your English is fine! Gloucesterman was attempting a joke by playing with fountain pen words. :)

Thank you for clarifying my "attempted" humor for me.

As I like to "pun" ish the English language I was asking for more information about the specific nib configuration being used. I then used different nib descriptions - oblique, flexible, etc. as word play.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

4 minutes ago, Gloucesterman said:

Thank you for clarifying my "attempted" humor for me

I understood and laughed. Very punny. Just happened to be around (when you lot were probably sleeping, a rare advantage of this side of the planet)  hoping to re-assure our friend that you meant no harm. Certainly not dissing your sense of humour - poms are renowned for dry style. :thumbup:

1 hour ago, AmandaW said:

I understood and laughed. Very punny. Just happened to be around (when you lot were probably sleeping, a rare advantage of this side of the planet)  hoping to re-assure our friend that you meant no harm. Certainly not dissing your sense of humour - poms are renowned for dry style. :thumbup:

Never took it as dissing. I very much appreciated your assistance in clarifying. For those of us who indulge in word-play, the world can seem like an inclement place. People/we have their own, individual, way of both experiencing and expressing the environment around them/us. I might compare it to driving on one side of the road, or the other. We become conditioned to functioning in a certain way and our ongoing life interactions get filtered through those expectations. A person I knew some years ago announced that they would allow me ONLY three puns per day during our time together. Eventually they let go of the limit and started to join in with their own word play. Ultimately we could have "normal" conversations as well as more playful ones.

The most important thing, in my judgment, is that we use our brain and mind in a manner that stimulates and enhances us as humans being. I am definitely in the use it or lose population. And that applies to many other aspects of our world.

In fact, if you think about it, it's pretty darn amazing that we can be sitting on opposite sides of this globe (time and season-wise) and have this interaction. Truly AMAZING - imho!

Wishing you the best as you enter the winter season.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I’m using my Geha 707 with a Lamy blue cartridge that for some reason looks blue black in the pen, but that usual bright almost purple in the syringed swatch. I swear I cleaned this pen to an inch of its life before I used it. 

Top 5 of 23 currently inked pens:

Namiki Origami Tradition maki-e Penguin F, Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

Sailor X Sakazaki Penguin Pro Gear Slim MF, Sailor Manyo Konagi

Lamy 2000 EF, Diamine Purple Bow

Platinum Hibiscus SF short-long, Platinum Green

Indigo Bronze TWSBI Eco 1.1 Stub, De Atramentis Columbia Blue-Copper 

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

38 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

I’m using my Geha 707 with a Lamy blue cartridge that for some reason looks blue black in the pen, but that usual bright almost purple in the syringed swatch. I swear I cleaned this pen to an inch of its life before I used it. 

Just curious, what was in the pen before?

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

1 hour ago, USG said:

Just curious, what was in the pen before?

Whatever the former owner put in it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Geha pens have a built in reservoir like the Parker tap-tank, but as part of the pen itself. I have 2,  and they are hard to clean, at least for me.

Top 5 of 23 currently inked pens:

Namiki Origami Tradition maki-e Penguin F, Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

Sailor X Sakazaki Penguin Pro Gear Slim MF, Sailor Manyo Konagi

Lamy 2000 EF, Diamine Purple Bow

Platinum Hibiscus SF short-long, Platinum Green

Indigo Bronze TWSBI Eco 1.1 Stub, De Atramentis Columbia Blue-Copper 

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

5 hours ago, Gloucesterman said:

Never took it as dissing. I very much appreciated your assistance in clarifying. For those of us who indulge in word-play, the world can seem like an inclement place. People/we have their own, individual, way of both experiencing and expressing the environment around them/us. I might compare it to driving on one side of the road, or the other. We become conditioned to functioning in a certain way and our ongoing life interactions get filtered through those expectations. A person I knew some years ago announced that they would allow me ONLY three puns per day during our time together. Eventually they let go of the limit and started to join in with their own word play. Ultimately we could have "normal" conversations as well as more playful ones.

I grew up with my dad and brother having pun wars over the dining room table pretty much every night at dinner.  So I'm more used to it.  (Oh, and I read your joke to my husband and he thought it was funny too (and he's not really a pen person, although he's trying....

Oh and my brother actually got PAID for a couple of jokes he came up with.  Don't remember the one, but some rag called The Wretched Mess News paid him 37¢ US for a joke of his that they published.  The joke he sold to Playboy?  He got paid $50!  Of course my dad had to find a co-worker who actually READ Playboy in order to get a photocopy of the page the jokes were on.  (My parents also had photocopies of the two checks made, got them framed.  Not sure where that frame is now -- but have a bad feeling it's in MY house somewhere.... :headsmack:

The joke that Playboy  bought goes something like this: 

The definition of someone who is a Paris vice squad detective is "skin flic" (my brother found out that "flic" is the French word/slang for "cop" -- and just ran with it, and the editors at Playboy thought it was funny, too...).

Back on topic:

Today's pens have been a couple of Parkers: 

1) Red Shadow Wave Vacumatic, F nib, with Waterman Mysterious Blue.

2) Sterling Parker 75 Ciselé, B nib, with MB Jimi Hendrix LE.

large.PicassoPimio916DarkestNightMnibwritingsample(1of3).jpg.d29c9b61a890b24080e3370512b2a531.jpg

large.PicassoPimio916DarkestNightMnibwritingsample(2of3).jpg.c7faa36f3a9d1db2d793fa266b12aa4a.jpg

large.PicassoPimio916DarkestNightMnibwritingsample(3of3).jpg.80cdb3a168337a0162e785836dcf02bf.jpg

Not so much using the pen, but simply extensively testing this pen I've identified as part of a giveaway (Yay! I found yet another Australian to ‘penable’ and to whom to send surplus stuff!), after discovering that I'd absent-mindedly allow (half) a fill of TWSBI Blue-Black ink to dry out in this pen after a round of testing. The clogging from the dried ink inside the feed and grip section was so complete, I couldn't even push a drop of water through with a bulb syringe in spite of applying tremendous pressure.

After three initial rounds of cleaning for said parts, and having completely sorted out the converter by that stage (which took a helluva lot of ‘blasting’ with a blunt needle syringe), when I attached the converter to the grip section and turned the rotary driver stem, it merely created a vacuum inside the converter's cavity, such that as soon as I released the stem in spun in reverse with a whoosh! as the vacuum pulled the piston plug all the way back down.

It took me more than half an hour (and very hot water, acetic acid, and ammonia — not all at the same time! — and many cycles in an ultrasonic cleaner) to clean the pen up, so I just had to make sure it can work for the recipient as ink testing apparatus.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

8 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

large.PicassoPimio916DarkestNightMnibwritingsample(1of3).jpg.d29c9b61a890b24080e3370512b2a531.jpg

large.PicassoPimio916DarkestNightMnibwritingsample(2of3).jpg.c7faa36f3a9d1db2d793fa266b12aa4a.jpg

large.PicassoPimio916DarkestNightMnibwritingsample(3of3).jpg.80cdb3a168337a0162e785836dcf02bf.jpg

Not so much using the pen, but simply extensively testing this pen I've identified as part of a giveaway (Yay! I found yet another Australian to ‘penable’ and to whom to send surplus stuff!), after discovering that I'd absent-mindedly allow (half) a fill of TWSBI Blue-Black ink to dry out in this pen after a round of testing. The clogging from the dried ink inside the feed and grip section was so complete, I couldn't even push a drop of water through with a bulb syringe in spite of applying tremendous pressure.

After three initial rounds of cleaning for said parts, and having completely sorted out the converter by that stage (which took a helluva lot of ‘blasting’ with a blunt needle syringe), when I attached the converter to the grip section and turned the rotary driver stem, it merely created a vacuum inside the converter's cavity, such that as soon as I released the stem in spun in reverse with a whoosh! as the vacuum pulled the piston plug all the way back down.

It took me more than half an hour (and very hot water, acetic acid, and ammonia — not all at the same time! — and many cycles in an ultrasonic cleaner) to clean the pen up, so I just had to make sure it can work for the recipient as ink testing apparatus.

It is not often I see such a thorough view of a Picasso fountain pen.  They are some of my favorite

Chinese pens, and have 8 in my collection--(915 Red Marble; 933 White; 918 Dreamy Polka; 975 Blue;

961; 901 Amorous Feelings of Paris; 916 Pimio Black).  My favorite is the gold Picasso Avignon #933,

which writes as smooth as butter.

IMG20230603072126.jpg

Today's journal pen is a Papa Blue Kakuno with a fine nib and a con-70. The ink is Pilot Blue.

large.KakunoPapaBlue_PilotBlue.jpg.92487fa049e24643cfdc6c17220fb2b0.jpg

On 6/1/2023 at 11:46 PM, Tashi_Tsering said:

It’s likely the same as it would be in your native language. @Gloucesterman was using nib language, including point, oblique nib, fine nib, flex nib.  He played with those words in the message. I think from your posts, your English is very good.  

Posted Image