What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

Today's journal pen is a Manuscript dug out of the back of the drawer - where it had been for over a decade. I didn't know a thing about fountain pens back then so left it there. And forgot about it. Prompted by the thread about one's first fountain pen I dug it (and the other two) out for a look and a clean yesterday.

This one says Manuscript England on the nib - a strange looking thing to me - is it a folded nib? It had a dried up ink in its cartridge and feed which took many goes through the pen cleaner. I inked it up with Monteverde Brown and this morning wrote a couple of pages. It's great! An extra fine I think. I have a new pen... :)

large.Manuscript_EF.jpg.620b1b8ab3210ac2590fdef7b91197cf.jpglarge.ManuscriptNib.jpg.0e02d3bacef3d9173ac9a2d54bc051d2.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• OldTravelingShoe

• Misfit

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

Today's journal pen is a Manuscript dug out of the back of the drawer - where it had been for over a decade. I didn't know a thing about fountain pens back then so left it there. And forgot about it. Prompted by the thread about one's first fountain pen I dug it (and the other two) out for a look and a clean yesterday.

This one says Manuscript England on the nib - a strange looking thing to me - is it a folded nib? It had a dried up ink in its cartridge and feed which took many goes through the pen cleaner. I inked it up with Monteverde Brown and this morning wrote a couple of pages. It's great! An extra fine I think. I have a new pen... :)

large.Manuscript_EF.jpg.620b1b8ab3210ac2590fdef7b91197cf.jpglarge.ManuscriptNib.jpg.0e02d3bacef3d9173ac9a2d54bc051d2.jpg

I have a couple of Manuscript pens that I bought for my grandsons to use.  I'll have to look at the nibs to see if they are folded.  I've used them and they seemed a good pen for the sub-twenty AUD price.

52 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

Been in business since 1856 by the looks of things  https://manuscriptpen.com/

I’m using a Lamy Joy with 1.1mm italic nib. Still filled with Diamine Amaranth. 

Posted Image

Today's journal pen is an unbranded pen from the 1990s with a strange (to me) Genius Germany nib. It's not tipped, but is shaped and squashed to pretend that it is. The ink is a Rotring Black - the pen does indeed take a Standard International cartridge. It's the second of three recovered from over a decade in a drawer. It's the same style nib as the Manuscript England I wrote with yesterday. It writes well.

large.GeniusGermanyRed.jpg.c43cdec8036d49a032c5fdd0d169ef97.jpglarge.GeniusGermanyRed_nib.jpg.2f506a36fff14e7ae547090d10741cce.jpg

Today I'm journaling with my Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

For me:

Waterman 52 flex nib with Dianmine Skull and Roses

Franklin-Christoph 1.1 italic nib 31 with Aurora Black

Twsbi Eco M. nib with iroshizuku kon-peki

On 4/27/2023 at 11:20 PM, AmandaW said:

I think folded nibs were common in inexpensive pens as an alternative to adding tipping material. Some say they aren’t great, but I had 2 Berol Fontaines, basically a precursor to the Pilot Varsity, that lasted 20 years for me. I kind of wish l had kept one and tried to refill it. 

Today l am using the stylus, and working on running the ink out of my blue Ooly.

41 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

think folded nibs were common in inexpensive pens as an alternative to adding tipping material.

Interestingly, the nibs on my grandson's Manuscript pens are not folded.  They are tipped steel nibs.

So far for journaling it’s been the Lamy Studio, and for my general/random notes/ streams of consciousness the Sailor Shikiori Hisakata Black stardust with Pilot Iroshizuku Shi-Kai and Parker Quink blue black respectively 

Mark from the Latin Marcus follower of mars, the god of war.

Yorkshire Born, Yorkshire Bred. 

my current favourite author is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

largebronze-letter-exc.pngflying-letter-exc.png

19 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Today's journal pen is an unbranded pen from the 1990s with a strange (to me) Genius Germany nib. It's not tipped, but is shaped and squashed to pretend that it is. The ink is a Rotring Black - the pen does indeed take a Standard International cartridge. It's the second of three recovered from over a decade in a drawer. It's the same style nib as the Manuscript England I wrote with yesterday. It writes well.

large.GeniusGermanyRed.jpg.c43cdec8036d49a032c5fdd0d169ef97.jpglarge.GeniusGermanyRed_nib.jpg.2f506a36fff14e7ae547090d10741cce.jpg

Thank you for the picture, I never saw a nib like that.  Looks almost architect-y. 🙂

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

At different times today I used a Kaweco Special to write a reminder and an Onoto Magna to write reference notes for a research paper.

I gave the pens (and pencils) the day off today... Apart from the Lamy 2000 BP with a B refill    🤣 🤣 🤣

Today's journal pen is a Pilot Kakuno with a fine nib and a Pilot Black cartridge. A simple pleasure. These pens do dry out here during the warmer months of the year, so they tend to be winter pens. I'm reminded again how comfortable they are for me. Yes, happy day. ❤️

large.PilotKakunoF_PilotBlack.jpg.b2707dbfcc550e9d9b34a9bd617523a4.jpg

I used an Opus 88 Picnic pen in coffee brown with an Edison unbranded 1.1mm italic nib. The pen is filled with Robert Oster Caffe Crema.

Posted Image

Rotring Core (M)  It came with a ballpoint in a tin presentation case that was dented. I think I paid around £5 at the time.  I cannot believe the prices they are selling for now. I used to take the BP to the office. It was the most asked about pen I've owned.  Unfortunately, there was a problem with the BP.  The screw in 'end cap' that secured the BP refill was made of Toffee and the barrel was much harder metal, and it chewed through the threads of the 'end cap'.  I returned the first one, which was exchanged, but the second went exactly the same after a short while. The BP was a heavy old beast.

IMG_3232(1).jpg

IMG_3230.jpg

Franklin Christoph 20 / PO nib

a-30-3.jpg.45e6be30419cf93390f998391274356b.jpg

What have you done with the cat? It looks half dead.

~ Schrödinger's wife

IMG_0051.thumb.jpeg.0d86c9986e0e4220803556a4f1cbbc46.jpeg

Parker Jotter Kensington Red SE, Platinum Plaisir PGB3000 night blue and a Parker Jotter Stainless steel 

the three need cartridge’s emptying ready for converters

Mark from the Latin Marcus follower of mars, the god of war.

Yorkshire Born, Yorkshire Bred. 

my current favourite author is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

largebronze-letter-exc.pngflying-letter-exc.png

I inked my tiny turquoise sailor slim candy today. I tried to use my slim converter, but the plunger is too long for the barrel. I had to use a slim cartridge instead, not sure what blue sailor used in chalana cartridges. Its the cutest, tiniest thing! 

Today's journal pen is a Rotring ArtPen EF inked with a Rotring Black cartridge.

large.RotringArtPenEF_RotringBlack.jpg.cdacf130997d7f3cf02c7c3a93b6f87f.jpg