What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

One more pen entering the rotation this weekend: the jumbo Woodex (I don't know the model number). 

Fitted with a Kanwrite medium with Jowo threading, this cartridge converter writes a little finer than other Kanwrite medium nibs already in my collection. It's also a little less wet than the others, which leads me to suspect the ink in it now, the Lapis Bard Irish Joe. It writes well though and comfortable to use. 

This is not a pen that you can carry in your shirt pocket not least because of its cliplessness :) but also because of its oversize dimensions and weight. The recognisable heft and girth is still comfortable and a few grams and a couple of mm would have made the pen a collection-only item rather than practical.IMG_20230401_110136-01.thumb.jpg.e71e93c233e0db3027be2745d4284aca.jpgIMG_20230401_110209-01.thumb.jpg.aadf739287c57ecda0e7938b9614a850.jpg

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• OldTravelingShoe

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

On 3/31/2023 at 8:40 PM, AmandaW said:

Today's journal pen is a green Opus88 Picnic F filled with Diamine Evergreen. Selected cos of all the Opus88 chatter of the past few days. 🙂

large.Opus88_DiamineEvergreen.jpg.51517fc0e2165d36de8f93c4e9e20732.jpg

Guilty of that chatter. Cool to see the pen in your post. 

Posted Image

4 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Today's journal pen is the brown Opus88 Picnic with a fine nib and Diamine Chocolate Brown. I had heard that the brown Picnic was the only one in which the acrylic didn't glow... @MisfitChallenge accepted. And... not true. Yes, it's the cap rather than the endcap, but it does indeed look lovely if the light is behind it. 🧡

large.Opus88Picinic_DiamineChocolate.jpg.19ca86290eedcc0a4c60db38f4d635d9.jpg

Hmm, the cap you say. Maybe you have better lighting in your house. Would you say brown doesn’t glow as easily as your green does?  My blue version glows as it sits innocently across the room. 

Posted Image

17 minutes ago, Misfit said:

Maybe you have better lighting in your house. Would you say brown doesn’t glow as easily as your green does?  My blue version glows as it sits innocently across the room.

OK I admit it, I cheated, they're right in front of a window to get the light coming through them. The amber glow on the brown (I think) is really lovely, but you're right the green one is brighter.

large.Opus88_Picnics.jpg.2e98ab3c3bc48e23c7d0d462515a4d6e.jpg

I don't know about the others - and won't cos the price, with the nibs I would want, seems to have gone up! Around AUD$160... ouch.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

38 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

I don't know about the others - and won't cos the price, with the nibs I would want, seems to have gone up! Around AUD$160

Not enabling or encouraging anyone, but I came across this earlier today:

https://goldspot.com/collections/opus-88-picnic

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

@AmandaW I was being honest about lighting. In this house the living room lighting is not the best. It has two windows facing northeast, and two lamps. 

I got the brown Picnic pen first, so it will be special for that. It was my only one from 2019 until 2022. I never thought I’d own all four. They were hard to find, and still at their higher end of cost. Then all of a sudden, Goldspot had them.  And the coupon code helped, plus rewards on credit cards. 

Posted Image

1 hour ago, Misfit said:

I got the brown Picnic pen first

Snap! So did I. It's still my favourite. 🙂

Will work for pens... :unsure:

2 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Snap! So did I. It's still my favourite. 🙂

I saw it called coffee brown back when I got it. But now, it’s usually called brown. I tend to get some pens for being called coffee brown, like the special edition Lamy Al-Star from 10 or so years ago, and the Pelikan Cafe Creme. 

Posted Image

Parker 51 aerometric, US medium nib, Midnight Blue, tuned by Greg Minuskin. My favorite pen, one that always finds a way into my shirt pocket. Everything else, feels odd, although several other P-51s often demand to be my backup for the day or week. 

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

The Quiet Writing pen (Schmidt EF nib) this morning...

large.2023-04-02-b.jpg.1ac44e7154848540cf297ca561ba32d4.jpg

What have you done with the cat? It looks half dead.

~ Schrödinger's wife

15 hours ago, naganaga said:

IMG_20230401_110136-01.thumb.jpg.e71e93c233e0db3027be2745d4284aca.jpg

That's an attractive pen -- is it ebonite?  Also, I LOVE your little pen holder.  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Parker 45 with a stub and Diamine Chocolate Brown...

And Chinese Dolce-Vita Narjanja with Aurora Black

Oh and a Plumix Med with a John Lewis cart...which I'm guessing could be Diamine blue / black ??? But could be anything....🤔

Anyone know who makes John Lewis Blue/Black cartridges ????

2 hours ago, 51ISH said:

Oh and a Plumix Med with a John Lewis cart...which I'm guessing could be Diamine blue / black ??? But could be anything....🤔

Anyone know who makes John Lewis Blue/Black cartridges ????

I didn’t even know that John Lewis sold own-branded cartridges!

They’re not even shown on their website 🤷‍♂️

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

15 minutes ago, Mercian said:

🤔

I bought them off ebay.... When I saw 'John Lewis' I kind of assumed... I only bought 50 from a different seller...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183706386379?hash=item2ac5c0ffcb:g:2sMAAOSwUvVcdnvL&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA8FyJsT8JcaxqVHIQg8L8jOHgmn2yrjqks%2F4oeTUHYiqiNZRaYiUv%2BqeS%2B0MxrVk2N2%2FQmLVzU%2FtFsKGI1x0N6DHOB%2Bs7C9aOXJnSCoDzLj0e4d1qEJslIyphII6qoDttcnCYi4D8l%2FIFrW%2BjNtGd%2FTVxuwoSQP7%2FX34s3ojn8vhNLPpzZHNuRIItYnnV836JpU94%2Fb2eACoyaDT4%2BjzwB5CJiWtews8FaCp1hEEdkdKs1xd1QeKckc6RDAXb%2FX8M7Kg0FC5GJRVP1OSyIKKTyaw3UpYsSZmL6aJTqcHnM6BT%2FZt0JhhtK7eUcuNJaI%2FVMQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABFBMrIupv-hh

Edited by 51ISH
add info

16 minutes ago, Mercian said:

To be fair they started out looking very insipid, but that could have been as I had flushed the Plumix Med I was having problems with, with Fairy Liquid and flushed with water... it seems much more saturated now, and  mine are blue, not blue black, which is what I thought I had ordered.

Black Parker Senior Flat Top Duofold with a fine stub nib. 

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

3 hours ago, Mercian said:

Well, I shall go to the foot of our stairs! 😁

I'm not enjoying my Plumix Med at the minute. It's writes way too dry.  I'm going to remove the cart and fit a converter with Aurora Black, if that doesn't work it's going in the bin.

Pelikan m600 Blue Stripe GT needlepoint with Pilot Iro Black (forget the name)

Pelikan m600 Vibrant Orange Reverse Cursive Italic Grind with Sailor Jentle Tokimatsu.

Both nibs were grounded by Gina back in 2022 when Flax Pen To paper had in store event.

Very happy with her work, wish I would have got a few more pens grounded by her.

An Edison Beaumont in Molten Ores with 1.1mm italic nib. The last ink I thought was in it was Birmingham Eroded Bronze. The ink that is coming out started dark, then became gold, maybe Robert Oster African Gold. This pen is in my top five pens. 

Posted Image