What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

Today's journal pen is a Pilot Prera with a fine italic nib (from a Pluminix) filled with Noodler's #41 Brown. The ink is much more red-brown than I was expecting from reviews. Maybe it's the er... natural variation... sometimes seen from the manufacturer? And the bottle ordered in different packaging last night will be the more grey-sepia version. That's another thing that makes this hobby so much fun: the surprise factor.

large.PilotPrera_F_italic.jpg.19230e8e134908da6eb0a1f4b6b7ac87.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• OldTravelingShoe

• Misfit

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Only made once OM1 machined steel pen with hooded nib.

948349128_2023OM1pen.thumb.jpg.6791fb8846631823b16ed77aecd16f0b.jpg

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

On 3/27/2023 at 1:20 AM, amberleadavis said:

@Misfit this might be a pen you would enjoy.

I considered it while looking at AliExpress. I went the cheaper route with the Jinhao 82 pens. But I’m considering the Lorelei because I like it when my oldest brother calls me Lorelei. 

OK, my resolve is weakening. 

Posted Image

1 hour ago, Misfit said:

I considered it while looking at AliExpress. I went the cheaper route with the Jinhao 82 pens. But I’m considering the Lorelei because I like it when my oldest brother calls me Lorelei. 

OK, my resolve is weakening. 

The nib is very fine. I'm guessing you might not like that if there's no stub option.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

I used a TWSBI Diamond Mini in Mint Blue with 1.1mm stub nib. I filled it with J Herbin Violette Pensèe (10ml size).

Posted Image

Franklin Christoph 20 / PO nib

large.2023-03-28-a.jpg.7c7396bef2823fb95f9999a550b2f826.jpg

What have you done with the cat? It looks half dead.

~ Schrödinger's wife

So far today it's been the burgundy Snorkel Special, EF nib, with (modern) Skrip Blue; and the Sailor 1911S Loch Ness Monster, MF nib, with Sailor Souboku.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Lamy Emporium Black GT with m nib filled with Akkerman 10.

Pilot Justus 95 f filled with Yama-Budo.

2 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

…and the Sailor 1911S Loch Ness Monster…

I was intrigued by the name of that pen, and had never heard of it, so I looked it up, eagerly.

I was hoping to see a pen whose body was decorated with a beautiful Raden/Maki-e tribute to ‘Nessie’. Or even a depiction of said Caledonian cryptid created in moulded/chased metal.

Sadly, I found that it appears to be ‘only’ a blue pen that has a black-plated nib & trim.

It is an attractive beast, but it is not one that is as-attractive as its named caused me to hope for 😢

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

3 minutes ago, Mercian said:

I was intrigued by the name of that pen, and had never heard of it, so I looked it up, eagerly.

I was hoping to see a pen whose body was decorated with a beautiful Raden/Maki-e tribute to ‘Nessie’. Or even a depiction of said Caledonian cryptid created in moulded/chased metal.

Sadly, I found that it appears to be ‘only’ a blue pen that has a black-plated nib & trim.

It is an attractive beast, but it is not one that is as-attractive as its named caused me to hope for 😢

Yeah, and when it arrived, I contacted the company I'd gotten it (and that year's other North American exclusive, the Wicked Witch of the West) because the official photos of the Loch Ness Monster pen made it look more grey blue than what it actually is -- and I was afraid that since Sailor made other similarly colored 1911S pens to what I'd received, I'd been sent the wrong pen by mistake; then when I took a photo on my phone to show the company what the pen looked like?  I discovered that the color just didn't photograph well under flash and my pen really DID look like the other similar color Sailor pens on the website.  Sigh.   (If it really HAD been grey-blue, that would have been STELLAR!  And of course now I'm really wishing I had ordered it with the "music" nib and the Wicked Witch pen with the MF nib.  The Wicked Witch is a gorgeous dark purple -- but the nib on it is VERY wet, and I had trouble finding a Sailor ink dry enough to tame the wetness without voiding the warranty on the nib's coating.  Of course Sailor doesn't seem to also grasp that the Wicked Witch of the West ruled over the Winkies in Oz (and THEIR preferred color was YELLOW, the way the preferred color for the Munchkins was blue...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

10 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

The Wicked Witch is a gorgeous dark purple -- but the nib on it is VERY wet,

Ironic really.

I’ve only seen the film, but the last thing that I’d expect the Wicked Witch to turn out to be is very wet…

“Help me! I’m melting….”

Edit to add:

I just looked that one up too. Its combination of that body colour with that trim/nib-plating does indeed look beautiful 🙂

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

18 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

No it is a Frankli-Christoph Music nib.

Alas, if it's a Franklin-Christophe I think the $35 is only the nib... I would need a pen to put it in!

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

4 hours ago, essayfaire said:

Alas, if it's a Franklin-Christophe I think the $35 is only the nib... I would need a pen to put it in!

Anytime that uses a Jowo number 6 housing. I think you can use it in an osprey body. In fact I'm pretty sure you can use it in osprey.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Just now, amberleadavis said:

Anytime that uses a Jowo number 6 housing. I think you can use it in an osprey body. In fact I'm pretty sure you can use it in osprey.

@essayfaire

I meant to say of course you should buy another pen.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

1 hour ago, amberleadavis said:

@essayfaire

I meant to say of course you should buy another pen.

The Madison still smells.  Not sure if I have a Jowo 6, your pens tend to be larger than mine.  And I have all those Japanese things...

So yes, another pen.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

15 minutes ago, essayfaire said:

The Madison still smells.  Not sure if I have a Jowo 6, your pens tend to be larger than mine.  And I have all those Japanese things...

So yes, another pen.

Santini Italia Michelangelo The Eagles Wings. With the 18K Stub nib upgrade just purchased from "sirgilbert357" ...

using Waterman's Havana Brown.

Will be testing Edelstein "Smoky Quartz" next.

Name:  Resized 7.jpg Views: 335 Size:  53.2 KB

Name:  Resized 13.jpg Views: 326 Size:  57.2 KB

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”