What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

Franklin Christoph 20p / Nagahara needlepoint

large.2023-03-25-1.jpg.228e1e5000e13011d5173ccda1ea68d5.jpg

What have you done with the cat? It looks half dead.

~ Schrödinger's wife

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• OldTravelingShoe

• Misfit

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My 'MB' StarWalker  😈

🤣🤣🤣

Oh and I had two stub Plumix's arrive in the post that I've had a play with.

IMG_3197.jpg

3 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

In Chinese, the colloquial term for illegible scrawl is 鬼畫符, literally “ghosts drawing spell-imbued graphics

This phrase pleases me. Greatly 👍

I shall try to formulate a near-equivalent in English.

Not least because it strikes me as being eminently appropriate as a description for my own impatiently-rushed griffonnage 😔

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

10 hours ago, jandrew said:

Franklin Christoph 20p / Nagahara needlepoint

large.2023-03-25-1.jpg.228e1e5000e13011d5173ccda1ea68d5.jpg

You should add this to the green pen thread.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

large.PXL_20230325_205337455.jpg.0ba19c49723a10ebd97bebe21d3f1da8.jpg

Montblanc 149 Italic Expressive and my beloved Evancio by Jim Hinze with a Franklin Christoph 1.9 Music Nib.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

4 minutes ago, amberleadavis said:

+1

Beautiful...

59 minutes ago, amberleadavis said:

This pen was posted on page one of that thread ;)

What have you done with the cat? It looks half dead.

~ Schrödinger's wife

42 minutes ago, jandrew said:

This pen was posted on page one of that thread ;)

Cool! It is super pretty.

12 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

large.PXL_20230325_205337455.jpg.0ba19c49723a10ebd97bebe21d3f1da8.jpg

Montblanc 149 Italic Expressive and my beloved Evancio by Jim Hinze with a Franklin Christoph 1.9 Music Nib.

ooooh!  I keep wondering how I'd feel about a Music nib! I like the BB Architect you cajoled me into buying!

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

2 hours ago, essayfaire said:

ooooh!  I keep wondering how I'd feel about a Music nib! I like the BB Architect you cajoled me into buying!

That is why fountain pens will never 'die'. They allow a variety that appeals to inquisitive and creative personalities. 

8 hours ago, ParramattaPaul said:

They allow a variety that appeals to inquisitive and creative personalities.

And that includes finding ways to ways to photograph them.

The recently arrived Lorelei 667 EF is out to play again today, I'm enjoying writing with it, but also I wanted to try photographing it again, to see if I can better capture how pretty it is. One thing I like is being able to see the nib so clearly inside the cap, instead of an ugly cap liner it appears to seal with the machining of the cap's acrylic. And that's working since there's no sign of the ink level dropping between uses. Only time will tell for sure, of course but that will take months of summer here rather than weeks. It's still filled with Diamine Vivaldi.

Yes, a cheapish pen, but I'll stand up for it and stare down anyone who would be mean about it. Pens don't have to be expensive to be worth having.

large.Lorelei667_EF_DiamineVivaldi.jpg.28f8150af42fd532df4be03c8156d1b8.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

1 hour ago, AmandaW said:

Yes, a cheapish pen, but I'll stand up for it and stare down anyone who would be mean about it. Pens don't have to be expensive to be worth having.

I'm very glad to hear your recent acquisition pleases you so!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

15 hours ago, essayfaire said:

Oh yeah, for $35, you should acquire this nib.

4 hours ago, AmandaW said:

And that includes finding ways to ways to photograph them.

The recently arrived Lorelei 667 EF is out to play again today, I'm enjoying writing with it, but also I wanted to try photographing it again, to see if I can better capture how pretty it is. One thing I like is being able to see the nib so clearly inside the cap, instead of an ugly cap liner it appears to seal with the machining of the cap's acrylic. And that's working since there's no sign of the ink level dropping between uses. Only time will tell for sure, of course but that will take months of summer here rather than weeks. It's still filled with Diamine Vivaldi.

large.Lorelei667_EF_DiamineVivaldi.jpg.28f8150af42fd532df4be03c8156d1b8.jpg

@Misfit this might be a pen you would enjoy.

9 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Exactly. One of my favourite pens is also one of my cheapest. I would say it is as close to "excellent" as one can get. 

50 minutes ago, Mangrove Jack said:

Exactly. One of my favourite pens is also one of my cheapest. I would say it is as close to "excellent" as one can get. 

OK, I have to ask... what's the pen? :blush:

Will work for pens... :unsure:

11 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Pens don't have to be expensive to be worth having.

Indeed not 👍

Some of my favourite pens are/were sold as ‘affordable’/‘school’ pens.

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

20230327_203021.thumb.jpg.7d342846cc3cb5df247da857641cea9f.jpg

3 hours ago, AmandaW said:

OK, I have to ask... what's the pen? :blush:

A Noodler's ebonite "Sahara Ripple Konrad" with an Anderson Pens 2 tone F nib.

I smoothened the nib and heat set the ebonite feed to the nib. For me it is perfectly balanced, the grip section is just the right size (a tad wider than a Parker 51) with no taper, it's nib has just the right amount of smoothness/tooth, holds a lot of ink. It has never hard started, leaked or let me down in any way despite being in continuous use for over 8 years. It looks nice too. 😄

On 3/26/2023 at 1:17 PM, ParramattaPaul said:

They allow a variety that appeals to inquisitive and creative personalities. 

Hmmmm.  I think we're rationalizing now. ;)

16 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Pens don't have to be expensive to be worth having.

Of course not!  And one can always make them more expensive by sending them off to nibmeisters for customization, which may be money well spent relative to a more expensive pen!

12 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

Oh yeah, for $35, you should acquire this nib.

From whom? Osprey?  It needs to not smell. If not Osprey, it needs to post(my Madison does post, quite nicely).

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

6 hours ago, essayfaire said:

From whom? Osprey?  It needs to not smell. If not Osprey, it needs to post(my Madison does post, quite nicely).

No it is a Frankli-Christoph Music nib.