What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

And then there's R&K Kastanienbraun which is subtitled maroon on it's packaging, yet is a gorgeous chestnut brown as it's name suggests. A bit of confusion there too.

Today's journal pen is a Daiso 'Preppy' filled with the blue cartridge that came with it.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• OldTravelingShoe

• Misfit

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, PAKMAN said:

Ferrari 300 Rosso Corsa red m nib inked with Colorverse Lights of Ceres red

1409688897_FarraiSheaffer.thumb.jpg.bd49699b19665136933cdd1beec50ba6.jpg

I've been AWOL for some time 😐 and Colourverse inks are new to me, Korean from what I've read. I'd have thought you would want something a little more 'Ferrari Red' in that pen? My knowledge of ink colours is very basic so I'll just throw in Diamine Poppy Red as a suggestion? I'm sure Ruth could put me straight. 🙂

10 hours ago, essayfaire said:

I think that one looks more brick red than maroon!  The image on the right does actually look look like a cognac brown to me, rather than in the deep burgundy/maroon family.

Haha,  the problem with the sample on the left is the blue-gray color of the Clairefontaine paper.  If you color correct for that and then raise the levels until the paper turns white, it turns the greenish color paper on the right, yellow and washes out the ink color.  No matter how much I try I can't get rid of all the blue tinge at the top of the page on the left so I can't get an accurate reading on the color of the ink.   And to make matters even worse, there's a white stripe down the center between the two pages and if you white balance to that, the colors snap back to their original  shades.

NOW HERE'S THE SKINNY ON MAROON

I looked it up and the consensus is that Maroon is a very dark shade of RED with a Hex code of 8000000.

The internet is completely divided on exactly what the color is.  Half say it's a red with brown added and half say its a red with blue or purple added, but all of them say it's a shade of RED.

The Wiki says:

"The Cambridge English Dictionary defines maroon as a dark reddish-purple color while its "American Dictionary" section defines maroon as dark brown-red or burgundy color. This suggests slight perceptual differences in the U.K. versus North America.[5] Lexico online dictionary defines maroon as a brownish-red.[6] Similarly, Dictionary.com defines maroon as a dark brownish-red or burgundy purple/wine color.[7] The Oxford English Dictionary describes maroon as "a brownish crimson (strong red) or claret (purple color) color,"[8] while the Merriam-Webster online dictionary simply defines it as a dark red.[9]"

So Maroon is a dark red with either brown or blue/purple added. 

Another way of saying it is, depending where you live, Maroon is either a dark reddish purple or dark redish brown.

"To make maroon paint using only primary colors, you should first mix blue into a red base using a 5:1 ratio. Once you’ve darkened the red paint with the blue, add a very small amount of yellow paint to achieve maroon’s brownish tinge. If it doesn’t look right, just tweak the ratios until you reach your desired shade."

"The difference between Purple and Maroon is that the Purple is a range of colors with the hues between blue and red and Maroon is a color."

"In the RGB model used to create colors on computer screens and televisions, maroon is created by turning down the brightness of pure red to about one half."

So, is Waterman Havana is a brown ink with red in it, or a red ink with brown in it?  😁

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

Starting today on my office carry is the Pelikan M200 Brown Marbled. 

It's a lovely "office" pocket pen, looks nice enough for professional signalling, and compact and light to be convenient. And of course, it writes like a dream. It's one of my very few EF nibbed pens but then the EF writes a very wet F by my standards. And that's just great for me!

Inked with the Taccia cha.

IMG_20230205_151247-01.jpeg

IMG_20230205_151348-01.jpeg

Salz Peter Pan penguin pen. I tried to post a picture but it loads upside down- will add when I get it to work. In the meantime, peep the nib:2C3DDCE1-F2E5-42C1-8EDF-D3D46D11A735.thumb.jpeg.7d52c2df75eec8e1acbb224a23cf3e43.jpeg

Top 5 of 23 currently inked pens:

Namiki Origami Tradition maki-e Penguin F, Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

Sailor X Sakazaki Penguin Pro Gear Slim MF, Sailor Manyo Konagi

Lamy 2000 EF, Diamine Purple Bow

Platinum Hibiscus SF short-long, Platinum Green

Indigo Bronze TWSBI Eco 1.1 Stub, De Atramentis Columbia Blue-Copper 

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

A Platinum 3776 Century, with an SF nib, which I like very much. Visconti Blue is my 'go to' at the moment, and I must say that I'm enjoying it. Sometimes there's a red sheen, but only sometimes. 🙂

spacer.png

8 hours ago, naganaga said:

It's a lovely "office" pocket pen, looks nice enough for professional signalling, and compact and light to be convenient. And of course, it writes like a dream. It's one of my very few EF nibbed pens but then the EF writes a very wet F by my standards. And that's just great for me!

Wow, that’s really nice…. Very nice photography btw…🙂 👍

7 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

Salz Peter Pan penguin pen. I tried to post a picture but it loads upside down- will add when I get it to work. In the meantime, peep the nib:2C3DDCE1-F2E5-42C1-8EDF-D3D46D11A735.thumb.jpeg.7d52c2df75eec8e1acbb224a23cf3e43.jpeg

Talk about Wee pens….very cool..🙂👍

We need a close up of that wee nib.  😀

4 hours ago, mallymal1 said:

A Platinum 3776 Century, with an SF nib, which I like very much. Visconti Blue is my 'go to' at the moment, and I must say that I'm enjoying it. Sometimes there's a red sheen, but only sometimes. 🙂

spacer.png

Now that is one spectacular looking pen !   I’m very partial to that translucent cobalt blue color. I have some vintage Visconti blue ink, I wonder if it’s the same vibrant color?  I’ll check it out today,   🙂 👍

12 hours ago, 51ISH said:

I've been AWOL for some time 😐 and Colourverse inks are new to me, Korean from what I've read. I'd have thought you would want something a little more 'Ferrari Red' in that pen? My knowledge of ink colours is very basic so I'll just throw in Diamine Poppy Red as a suggestion? I'm sure Ruth could put me straight. 🙂

LoL.

But sorry, I'm not going to me much help with you on reds -- especially if you're trying to match a pen barrel color.  And have never used Diamine Poppy Red.

I don't like reds that lean brown or orange, (so not much in my stash in the way of burgundy -- the only one I found that I like is Campo Marzio Bordeaux) or reddish brown/brownish red inks ("blood-red" inks are Right Out™) and pretty much none that lean orange).  I want a red that's smack in the middle of the spectrum red.  Fire engine red.  Color of my first car (a 1984 Dodge Omni and the color that year was called "Graphic Red") red.  And for me?  That's Diamine Classic Red.  Nemosine Aolus Palus Red is okay too (but I don't know if that's still readily available).  And if I need something really water-resistant?  I'll use Noodler's Park Red (which leans ever so slightly pink).

The fact that I found myself liking MB Antoine de Saint-Exupéry Encré du Desert at ALL never ceases to amaze me (but it's got a little bit of a violet undertone to it, which seems to "soften" the brown-ness of it a bit.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

13 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

LoL.

But sorry, I'm not going to me much help with you on reds -- especially if you're trying to match a pen barrel color.  And have never used Diamine Poppy Red.

I don't like reds that lean brown or orange, (so not much in my stash in the way of burgundy -- the only one I found that I like is Campo Marzio Bordeaux) or reddish brown/brownish red inks ("blood-red" inks are Right Out™) and pretty much none that lean orange).  I want a red that's smack in the middle of the spectrum red.  Fire engine red.  Color of my first car (a 1984 Dodge Omni and the color that year was called "Graphic Red") red.  And for me?  That's Diamine Classic Red.  Nemosine Aolus Palus Red is okay too (but I don't know if that's still readily available).  And if I need something really water-resistant?  I'll use Noodler's Park Red (which leans ever so slightly pink).

The fact that I found myself liking MB Antoine de Saint-Exupéry Encré du Desert at ALL never ceases to amaze me (but it's got a little bit of a violet undertone to it, which seems to "soften" the brown-ness of it a bit.

Reds are weird for me.  My go to red used to be Oma’s Vespucci Red, but my vintage OVR    is not the color it once was.  I have some vintage Waterman red that thickened, and when I diluted it, was a very bright stunning color, but if I didn’t get the dilution just right, it would spread and feather.  It looked like it had good potential so I ordered some fresh Waterman red and that turned out to be disappointing.  So I’m still fiddling with the old ink.

As far as reds go, I think I’m attracted to the ones that lean toward blue.

Oh yeah, I hear you on the reds that lean toward blue.  And I like red violet inks just fine (Diamine Tyrian Purple comes to immediate mind).  

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The Colorverse Lights of Ceres actually matches pretty well.

1576374171_FarraiSheaffer1.thumb.jpg.3f7065db119902905336bace05f9414f.jpg

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

15 hours ago, USG said:

NOW HERE'S THE SKINNY ON MAROON

That’s fascinating 👍

I find it amusing that I (a Brit) have internalised what the CED says is the ‘American’ definition of ‘maroon’, whereas you (an American) have internalised the ‘British’ definition 😁

Going back to our difference of opinion of this ink’s colour, I don’t think that your ink has changed colour in its bottle over the years (not least because mine hasn’t).

But, when we compare your photo…

large.A2BE950A-ED28-4715-B6F9-CED90A373AA2.jpeg.41ed7fb524cef056f458fa75b883c9a5.jpeg

…with mine…

large.30A8B236-BBAA-4935-817F-A395933FE953.jpeg.3a80f16c1209300bc17168b8d9312605.jpeg

I don’t think that we have the same ink!

I do not perceive the same amount of red in your ink as I do in mine.

(I think that the ‘redness’ or ‘maroonness’ of my ink is particularly visible in the final sentence on my photo, but also in the curve of the ‘D’ in the word ‘BROADER’ that I wrote with the italic nib.
Equally, I do see the first sentence written with the italic nib as more-‘brown’ than the sentences written with the 45’M’ nib.)

I also notice that the colour of your ink’s box is different to the colour of my ink’s box.

The combination of these two observations made me suspect that Waterman might have re-formulated their ‘Havana’ some time in the late 1990s.

So I went looking for old reviews of it.

This review by @KCat appears to show an ink that resembles your ink more than mine, in that it does not seem anywhere near as red as mine is.

But all the other reviews seem to show an ink that is as red as mine.
Also, in this review by @kopio(ignore the scan in the OP, it looks miscalibrated) there is this comment by @finalidid, in which s/he recounts the experience of having had Havana dry out to a green crust in some pens (follow the link to see more details).

I therefore wonder whether Waterman might have changed the ink’s formula to prevent the ink from turning green in pens 🤷‍♂️

That is of course mere speculation, and the difference in my perception of my ink could well be due solely to a combination of my habit of using narrow (-ish) nibs, and the idiosyncrasy/‘uniqueness’ of the proportions of different colour receptors in my retinas 😁

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

Mercian's "chromatograph" of Waterman Havana Brown mirrors my experience: this ink contains a blue-green component that diffuses faster than the red components. This has led to an interesting behavior in some of my pens. When filled with Havana and left standing nib-up for a while, they write green for the first few letters, then almost blue-black for a line or two, with the usual dark brown dominating after that. I don't really know if this is just due to the green component migrating selectively to the nib, or if some kind of oxidation or other chemistry is involved.

Same pen as yesterday, my excuse is that I didn't photograph it. The real reason is that I like it. A lot. The ink glistens as it goes on the page and watching it dry is mesmerising. It's a humble Daiso pen with no name, just says 'Iridium" on the nib. Do I recall it said Platinum on the package? Maybe the colour is like Platinum's Chartres Blue? If so, I'm keen for one of those. Maybe the dark transparent blue TWSBI Eco is close enough. The trouble is one can never trust online pics and in this case the colour really matters. Almost as much as that glistening thing.

large.Daiso.jpg.721f390882674bc687d16db8964698da.jpg

3 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

It's a humble Daiso pen with no name, just says 'Iridium" on the nib. Do I recall it said Platinum on the package?

If it's one of these, then no, they aren't co-branded with Platinum.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

26 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

If it's one of these, then no, they aren't co-branded with Platinum.

Yes, that's the one. It's a remarkable pen. It did not dry out, or even hard start, after sitting in a drawer since 2020 - just the occasional note written with it to make sure it was OK. And now having written out half the cartridge it's proven to have a nicely tuned nib as well. All for the princely sum of $3.30.

21 hours ago, naganaga said:

Here's another Pelikan M200 Brown Marbled in use!  It's a medium nib, currently inked with Diamine Ancient Copper.  The nib is so smooth.

Image00001.thumb.jpg.d918b56e1cf09660c14d7c347c3d9fe0.jpgImage00002.thumb.jpg.be1f240c92ed092acef84cb1ec50cf28.jpg