What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

I  am currently using a fountain pen that was a freebie with my Noodler's Lexington Grey ink.I just filled it with the eyedropper.

It is my second fountain pen my first my Metropolitan. But I like the line it puts down as well as the feel in hand. It's very light and easily handled.

The pen is called a Charlie.

I like this setup.😊

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• OldTravelingShoe

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

Going to breakfast with my ex, taking the new Sailor Shikiori inked with Shirakashi; maybe stop by work and give them the doctor's note that I can't come back 'til Jan, 2nd. Second day driving again, yay!

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

In response to watching(virtually) my child take a class in which there was coughing, I was inspired to make this flow chart today.  If anyone takes this as a subject we can't talk about here, just imagine it as blobs of color.  I have put my pens away, so I may have left one out; not all colors appear in all my iterations of the chart.

Mentmore Brown Marbled

Conway Stewart 286 Blue Marbled

Pilot VP Tropical Turquoise

Diplomat Aero Green

M and K Pelikan Brownish Marbledish

Unknown Chinese Maker Green pen that looks like Bamboo

large.IMG_2841.jpg.c593c985cd8ae2399771c9e7480a7a63.jpg

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

7 hours ago, essayfaire said:

In response to watching(virtually) my child take a class in which there was coughing, I was inspired to make this flow chart today.  If anyone takes this as a subject we can't talk about here, just imagine it as blobs of color.  I have put my pens away, so I may have left one out; not all colors appear in all my iterations of the chart.

Mentmore Brown Marbled

Conway Stewart 286 Blue Marbled

Pilot VP Tropical Turquoise

Diplomat Aero Green

M and K Pelikan Brownish Marbledish

Unknown Chinese Maker Green pen that looks like Bamboo

large.IMG_2841.jpg.c593c985cd8ae2399771c9e7480a7a63.jpg

Added

Good flowcharting, but you left out, 'Do you leave your mask on while you cough? Yes or no.'

ADDED: I used two Conway Stewart pens today; a Churchill and a Series 58.

On 12/11/2022 at 6:48 PM, Pale.Ink.Tom said:

Hi again @Misfit Nice to meet again in a topic.

In my quiet little backwater I have managed to fish up some sparkling minnows😊

You are very kind to comment. Thank you.

We come for the pens and stay for the companionship wouldn't you say?

I hope all is going well with you today.😀

P.I.Tom

That is so true. I hurt myself caregiving for my Mom. Right hip/back. Not really sure. At least I can sleep comfortably. I’ve given up my usual chair for a dining room chair with pillows.  I’m also using my late Dad’s walker that we added a tote to. I bring drinks and food in or on top of it. I also use it to hold onto while standing up from that dining room chair. 

There are lots of nice, kind people here. In time, reading their posts, replying it feel like digital friendship. 

I did get a new pen today, but it must go under the Christmas tree. It came from China via AliExpress. It looks like the Kaweco Fireblue pens, and comes (if I recall correctly) with a converter. Much more affordable price. I saw one thanks to @A Smug Dill who posted a photo. I’m glad I’ll have one that looks like Kaweco’s without paying over $100 to get it. 

Posted Image

12 hours ago, Misfit said:

That is so true. I hurt myself caregiving for my Mom. Right hip/back. Not really sure. At least I can sleep comfortably. I’ve given up my usual chair for a dining room chair with pillows.  I’m also using my late Dad’s walker that we added a tote to. I bring drinks and food in or on top of it. I also use it to hold onto while standing up from that dining room chair. 

There are lots of nice, kind people here. In time, reading their posts, replying it feel like digital friendship. 

I did get a new pen today, but it must go under the Christmas tree. It came from China via AliExpress. It looks like the Kaweco Fireblue pens, and comes (if I recall correctly) with a converter. Much more affordable price. I saw one thanks to @A Smug Dill who posted a photo. I’m glad I’ll have one that looks like Kaweco’s without paying over $100 to get it. 

OooOOOOooOoooH! 

The Kaweco Fireblue is SO pretty! I’m so glad you were able to get something very like it at a more affordable price. I’ve been discouraged from buying the Fireblue model due to the price myself. I’ve been asking for generic gift cards for birthday and Christmas, and then hoarding them over 12 to 18 months, then using them to buy something pricey. 

The last pen I bought that way was the Kaweco Collection Special Edition FP in Deep Red/Gold Trim. MSRP in the US was $100.00 and beyond my comfort zone as an expenditure. But all those gift cards paid for it and ink, too. I’m just grateful the model wasn’t discontinued before I had saved enough gift cards to buy it. 

It’s such a lovely pen and the matte deep red aluminum body has a subtle sparkle and shine. Lovely, simply lovely. 

11 hours ago, Misfit said:

I took care of my mom through terminal lung cancer. It was a sudden surprise diagnosis and it came too late to offer much more than a couple weeks chemo and then palliative care. I was taking care of her and my two preschool children at the time and I was just gutted by fatigue and stress and no small measure of guilt. 

Somehow I got through it. I had to remind myself that Mom was approaching the end of her life on her own terms—surrounded by family, NOT in a home to die alone, and in the position to tell me what she wanted me to do with her belongings while she was still alive. 

Are there times, twenty years later, when I wish I’d known how to do more? Sure. It’s human nature to feel that way.

Is it fair? Not really, but again, human nature does as it does. When you love someone and they pass away, it hurts. And whether deserved or not, some of that hurt is self-inflicted.

You may feel regret for not doing what you (unrealistically, impossibly, unfairly) think you should have done or should have been “enough”.

You may feel relief and then feel guilty about feeling that relief. Again, it’s human nature and it’s a process we will all go through if we’re lucky.

And I do mean lucky: to have someone you love that much is a gift and a blessing, even in mother/daughter relationships that carry their own unique emotional weight and history.

The alternative is NOT having anyone to love and that is, I think, something infinitely sadder. 

I wish I could offer more insight to help you through this difficult time, Misfit, and I apologize if I’ve overstepped or have fallen short of my goal. Just please know I offer this in the most heartfelt way I know how and with the sincere wish it helps you in whatever way it can.  

2 hours ago, taimdala said:

OooOOOOooOoooH! 

The Kaweco Fireblue is SO pretty! I’m so glad you were able to get something very like it at a more affordable price. I’ve been discouraged from buying the Fireblue model due to the price myself. I’ve been asking for generic gift cards for birthday and Christmas, and then hoarding them over 12 to 18 months, then using them to buy something pricey. 

I'll admit that while the price is a deterrent (especially compared to the "standard" ones, the need to find a useful converter for the Liliput Fireblue has been even more of a deterrent.  And I don't know enough about the larger Supra to know if it would be too heavy a pen for me.

I *have* considered buying one of the plain metal Lilliputs and then taking it to any number of metal workers and jewelers I know to see if THEY can make me the lovely Fireblue finish.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Today it's mostly been the 61 Flighter (not sure if the nib is an F or an EF) with whatever black ink in it that I keep reconstituting.  But I'm making progress -- I could write about half a page before having to run distilled water through the back of the teflon sponge to the feed and nib.

Also the Pelikan 120, M nib, still with diluted Edelstein Olivine.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Salvatore Matrone has been offering some limited custom ground steel nibs on the Leonardopens web site. These include architect, fude and CSI grinds. The latter is a smooth cursive italic. This nib nib is sweet. It is indeed very smooth, yet quite crisp enough for passible calligraphy.

231026268_MZSand.jpg.d1bfdee9a188f6fa22a94c8f03ff9246.jpg

I have had a Momento Zero Grande in this lovely material for some time. Here's a photo comparing the sizes.

1350070386_MZandMZGSand.jpg.e6d1af85d526f7b20409b86ff7d462a6.jpg

David

1 hour ago, dms525 said:

Salvatore Matrone has been offering some limited custom ground steel nibs on the Leonardopens web site. These include architect, fude and CSI grinds. The latter is a smooth cursive italic. This nib nib is sweet. It is indeed very smooth, yet quite crisp enough for passible calligraphy.

231026268_MZSand.jpg.d1bfdee9a188f6fa22a94c8f03ff9246.jpg

I have had a Momento Zero Grande in this lovely material for some time. Here's a photo comparing the sizes.

1350070386_MZandMZGSand.jpg.e6d1af85d526f7b20409b86ff7d462a6.jpg

David

Beautiful pens... Does the Grande use the same size nib as the Zero?

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

31 minutes ago, USG said:

Beautiful pens... Does the Grande use the same size nib as the Zero?

Both of these pens use #6 JoWo nibs. However, Leonardo is also making some MZG pens to take #8 Bock nibs. They have started manufacturing their own gold nibs, and they may start making #8 nibs. 

So far, their in-house gold nibs are friction fit, so I don't know if they are compatible with either JoWo or Bock nibs.

David

Today it was my Bordeaux MB 146.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

@taimdala you did not overstep. Thank you for your words. I know I have felt guilty for not exercising my Mom’s legs more. To use a Sit to Stand, the person has to have use of their arms and legs. When I’m healed, I’ll figure out a safe way to lift her legs while she is seated.  

I have put three pens in my tote that’s connected to a walker, plus the Field Notes Steno pad. Now I can write down things that pop into my head that sound worth remembering, maybe write a haiku for the Haiku thread. 

The pen that looks like the Fireblue had a note from the seller that the colors would vary. That if you bought one, you would understand that, and no returns if you don’t like the finish. I did peak at the pen, and it seems to have some nice variations kind of like the photo. 

I was intrigued by the Kaweco Supra, but also wondered about the weight. It seems to be a pen I’d need to see and try in person. 

Back to the copy of Fireblue, here is the link. 

https://m.aliexpress.us/item/3256801136889400.html?spm=a2g0n.order_detail.order_detail_item.3.215e4f03ducYfz&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

Posted Image

On 12/14/2022 at 1:10 PM, essayfaire said:

In response to watching(virtually) my child take a class in which there was coughing, I was inspired to make this flow chart today.

Not all coughing is due to an infectious transmissible disease. Coughing commonly may be caused by allergies, irritants, and medications, just for starters. Forcing (or shaming) people with these sorts of coughs to wear masks may aggravate their conditions. As for coughs caused by infectious diseases, there is considerable evidence that the typical masks worn by most people do little to prevent transmission of microorganisms. I don't believe that this sort of discussion has any place on FPN, but since it was brought up, a clarification by a medical doctor (me) is necessary. Can we please limit our discussion to fountain pens? Thanks!

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

1 hour ago, dms525 said:

Both of these pens use #6 JoWo nibs. However, Leonardo is also making some MZG pens to take #8 Bock nibs. They have started manufacturing their own gold nibs, and they may start making #8 nibs. 

So far, their in-house gold nibs are friction fit, so I don't know if they are compatible with either JoWo or Bock nibs.

David

It seems that if they make MZGs for #8 nibs, they'll have to make the sections wider and the caps taller, to accommodate the longer nibs and larger feeds, right?

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

11 minutes ago, USG said:

It seems that if they make MZGs for #8 nibs, they'll have to make the sections wider and the caps taller, to accommodate the longer nibs and larger feeds, right?

Yes, but the difference is rather small.

David