What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

8 hours ago, essayfaire said:

Ah, like changing the writing angle on a fude.

Exactly. The Sailor Concord is like a Fude rotated 180-degrees.

Personally, I like a bit better the Concord, but I'm not sure if I can explain why. Perhaps I find the control when using the tip to sketch is a bit more natural. Perhaps I find the way the Concord nib turn, closer to the feed rather than away, more secure. Perhaps... No, both Sailor Special Nibs are fantastic, this is really nitpicking. 

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• OldTravelingShoe

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

13 minutes ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

Perhaps I find the way the Concord nib turn, closer to the feed rather than away, more secure.

Less likely with the Concord nib that one would inadvertently touch the feed to the paper surface when trying to put down a broad enough line. Also, writing text with a consistent narrower line — in either Chinese or English — by holding the pen with the nib in normal orientation makes more ‘sense’, and/or feels more natural, to me. 

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

3 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Less likely with the Concord nib that one would inadvertently touch the feed to the paper surface when trying to put down a broad enough line. Also, writing text with a consistent narrower line — in either Chinese or English — by holding the pen with the nib in normal orientation makes more ‘sense’, and/or feels more natural, to me. 

Ah, I recognize these reasons and they would apply to me too, especially that about the feed touching paper.

With all these reasons, why isn't the Sailor Concord structure more common? Or perhaps it is, but it's not named specifically whereas the Fude is, so then... Why? 

50 minutes ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

With all these reasons, why isn't the Sailor Concord structure more common? Or perhaps it is, but it's not named specifically whereas the Fude is, so then... Why? 

I don't know. Chinese fountain pen manufacturers do make far more ‘upturned’, ‘bent’, or ‘art’ nibs in the style of the Fude de Mannen nib, but usually with a much shorter triangular piece above the bend; I think it appeals to those who want to produce strokes with brush-like effect using a fountain pen.

Among Westerners, however, I can only conjecture that the difference in popularity, between nibs with an upward bend and alternatively a downward bend, is a combination of marketing and perception. The upward-bending nib looks like a brush bending under pressure (thus appealing to ‘soft’ and artistic), and the name “Fude de Mannen” sounds more exotically Oriental than “Concord”, thus cornering that style of nib as a way-out-there, circus-tricksy kinda specialty nib, with the normal orientation unconsciously defining what the nib is mean to do or deliver. The downward-bending nib looks (and is actually) ‘hard’, even more ‘nail‘-like than other ‘nail‘ nibs, and perhaps a lot of users cannot see the advantage and versatility in such a nib, but only see it as being unnatural or uncomfortable to use.

I personally look at it as a question of, “How often would I use <TITLE> or <H1>, <H2> tags in a piece of text in HTML? If normal, feed-facing-down orientation is what is more ‘natural’ an comfortable, do I want it to deliver normal body text or rarely needed special effects, as an everyday writing instrument?”, whereas perhaps others see it as, ”I wouldn't get a bent nib if I didn't mainly want it for the special purpose of producing brush-like strokes, so that's what it should be designed to do in normal orientation.”

Again, let me reemphasise, that is only my conjecture.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Here's what I reach for in order. 

FPR Tangerine Dream has great shading but feathers if you don't use FP-friendly paper. 

Monteverde Fire Opal doesn't shade as aggressively, but also works a lot better on copy paper, including showing a little shading. (It's really great on really good paper.)

Diamine Syrah doesn't shade but it works OK on all paper and I really like the color. 

image.png.f1a5c0cf333a3c86cec8c15274d2fce7.png

Today it's been the Sailor Pro Gear Slim Purple Cosmos, zoom nib, finishing a fill of diluted Sailor Sky High (old formula); and the Parker Vacumatic Green Shadow Wave, F nib, with Waterman Havana Brown.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I know.. it looks like a 'wreck' of a fountain pen but...!

No fancy brand name to rescue it from anonymity yet here it is, more than 50 years since production, bringing joy to this humble writer!

'Made in Italy' no name. Syringe filler. P51 inspired. The remains of a gold plated overlay 'saddle' on the grip section. Simple 'guilloche' motif on cap.

1960's feel to it and meant to be cheap and cheerful I would guess.

"99" Torpah? PATENT

IMG_1343.JPG.6a6e86080e66a0d2bbd986da7356068a.JPG

IMG_1340.JPG.97d0dd6889c1760583264a699c937d25.JPG

Pale.Ink.Tom

πTom

Hi again @Misfit Nice to meet again in a topic.

In my quiet little backwater I have managed to fish up some sparkling minnows😊

You are very kind to comment. Thank you.

We come for the pens and stay for the companionship wouldn't you say?

I hope all is going well with you today.😀

P.I.Tom

πTom

Navy blue Sheaffer’s Compact II cartridge pen with Quink black. Today is the first day that it was used, it has a nice broad 14k nib. It’s like the PFM’s less complicated younger sibling.

Top 5 of 23 currently inked pens:

Namiki Origami Tradition maki-e Penguin F, Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

Sailor X Sakazaki Penguin Pro Gear Slim MF, Sailor Manyo Konagi

Lamy 2000 EF, Diamine Purple Bow

Platinum Hibiscus SF short-long, Platinum Green

Indigo Bronze TWSBI Eco 1.1 Stub, De Atramentis Columbia Blue-Copper 

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

Ended up with a lot of my Japanese pens today. 
Pilot 823 (M) w/ Diamine Syrah: The Pilot has seen better days. A crack formed at one ends thread. I truly love it dearly as it was the first pen I bought in person at the NY FPH on a trip with my SO. It has seemingly survived after I wrapped duck tape over the crack. Is it reliable? No clue. I usually keep it in a place of honor on my desk crab, but decided it needed some workplace love again. Inked with Diamine Syrah which, alongside Writers Blood, have quickly become two of my favorite inks. The burgundy pairs well with the amber and gold of the 823. 

Sailor 1911s (MF) w/ Platinum Carbon Black: My go to stiff nib sketch pen and ink combo. Pleasant feed back for drawing, the Sailor's finer helps keep my linework a lot more clean. 

Pilot 743 (FA) w/ Diamine Red Dragon: The nib makes this pen fun, the ebonite feed helps ensures everything is nice and saturated. I enjoy swapping the ink in this pen out frequently. I enjoy Red Dragon a lot more in very wet pens. The Lamy Safari I have inked with the red is just unsatisfying and feels washed out for some reason. 

Pilot Decimo w/ Pilot Blue: Has for some time been set to the side, the nib was unpleasant but after I worked it a bit, it has seemingly returned to a much smoother state. The Pilot Blue came with the 823 and is still not empty!

20221212_085748.thumb.jpg.90f197a453306dd3a158d19c8b967e60.jpg

Vermeil MB 144 with OM nib.

832589792_MontBlancVermeilOblique.jpg.c3d43e25a5ec4d614ae8bdd38ba49015.jpg

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Christmas cards equalled writing, and that meant Onoto. Hence liberal use of the Scholar until it ran out of ink and then liberal use of the Magna.  The Conway Stewarts get a turn tomorrow.  That will mean a re-inking session that night.

Today it will be my new Sailor Shikior Manleaf (Dark Green), inked with Shirakashi.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Wrote a message in a birthday card with my Asvine 169 Skelton.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Journal entry this evening 

Lamy Safari and TWSBI Swipe

Mark from the Latin Marcus follower of mars, the god of war.

Yorkshire Born, Yorkshire Bred. 

my current favourite author is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

largebronze-letter-exc.pngflying-letter-exc.png

I have these guys out today.... the Blues have fine nibs and the Greens have Mediums.

Inks:

M800 Blue [F] - Pelikan blue with a couple of drops of Diamine Sapphire for color.

M800 Green [M] - Aurora Blue

Aurora Primavera Green [M] - Diamine Sapphire Blue

Aurora Mare Blue [F] - Aurora Blue

8224625_IMG_3150768.jpg.24cd14bd6d572813f0d8408e35adfdaa.jpg

Yesterday was the battle of the #6 nibs -

358707635_IMG_3142768.jpg.67dbd9eb465ccac22eaf793bc737e5da.jpg

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests