What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

Today it's been the Pelikan P22 "MOOVIE", inked up last night at the Pittsburgh Pelikan Hub with Birmingham Pens Armadillo (a warm light grey that looks rose/mauve in some light and on some paper) which I won in the raffle at the Hub (our local sponsors were Birmingham Pens, and a store called Scribe Fine Papers, which is a Pelikan reseller).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• OldTravelingShoe

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

I just inked up a flex-nibbed ebonite FPR with Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses.  A skilled writer could get more out of this combination, but I'll have fun tinkering with line variation anyway.

I'm all over the place today.  Started out with a Lamy 2k, OM and Private Reserve American blue. The strange thing about this OM nib is that it writes like an architect. Wrote half an A5 page and switched to my Green Pelikan M800, (M), with Aurora blue, because it has a similar heavy line width.  Wrote a half the space left with that pen and switched to a Red (M) M800, with the same Aurora blue ink, but has a normal M line width.  On a roll with the Pelikans I finished the page with a (F) M1000, Ajaisai ink, that writes like a medium and flows like a fire hydrant.  Started another Kokuyo A5 page and kept the M1000 going for half.  Now the thing about the Iroshizuku Ajisai I had in the M100 is that there was a very tiny amount of left over Aurora blue stuck in the groove around the base of the piston that didn't flush out, so after sitting overnight the Ajisai developed an ever so slightly bluer tone than it originally had.  At this point I switched to the lousy Leonardo Furore (M) which was filled with pure unadulterated Ajisai, for comparison.  Yup I could see the color difference.  So I scratched down the page with the Leonardo until I got to the last 3 lines and finished up with the marvelously smooth Jinhao X159, (F) which also had Ajisai ink and writes with the same line width as the Leonardo (M).  Continuing with the X159 I started another Kokuyo A5 page.... but now I think it's time to switch paper so I stopped, while I'm deciding if it's going to be Tomoe River or Sugar Cane.  Still crazy after all these years.😀

1888418839_IMG_3076768.jpg.da72aeb8223104c20ba6bced12b1e19e.jpg

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

On 11/2/2022 at 3:36 AM, Topgunbai said:

Karas Kustoms Decograph matte blue with JB6EC ebonite feed from Flexible Nib Factory and Bock 250 titanium nib modified to flex fude

Karas_Kustoms_Decograph_matte_blue_titanium_flex_fude-04.jpg

Wow, very interesting combination, fude (variation by position) and flex (variation by pressure). Thanks for sharing, @Topgunbai!

If I may ask, how do you control this nib? Do you have perhaps more examples of strokes, showcasing the variation achieved by position, pressure, and both? 

In-between cars, trams, trains, planes, and whatever else I may have boarded in the past weeks, I got a moment to breathe at the Dallas Farmers Market. It's pumpkin time :pumpkin: ! (Also, for those celebratingb Happy Thanksgiving 🎃 !) 

large.20221121_220946.jpg.6353865a08f325f2abd24ade32881075.jpg

Figure 1. The pumpkin. 

large.20221120_161928.jpg.a136f46a3dfd5379cc9d9917ad572cde.jpg

Figure 2. Those who helped raise the pumpkin. Of course, this being FPN, I mean fountain pens, not farmers. 

Figures 1 and 2 depict what may have taken me five minutes to paint. (I've been told I was unavailable for twenty-five to thirty minutes, but it may have been the pumpkin latte buzz.) 

The pens in the picture are, top to bottom:

1. A Twsbi Eco with EF nib turned to Fude by Pablo at FPNibs. Inked with Diamine Sherwood green ink. 
  2. (not used) A Pilot Custom Heritage 92. 
  3. A Platinum #3776 Century Bourgogne with 14k Coarse nib, inked with Diamine Pumpkin. Definitely used this one! 
  4. (not used) A Platinum Carbon Desk Pen, EF steel nib. 

Let the pumpkin spirit enliven my drawing. 

Enjoy! 

6 minutes ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

Wow, very interesting combination, fude (variation by position) and flex (variation by pressure). Thanks for sharing, @Topgunbai!

If I may ask, how do you control this nib? Do you have perhaps more examples of strokes, showcasing the variation achieved by position, pressure, and both? 

Thanks 😊 This flex fude nib is inspired by the work of Jose Munuera (nib.lab on Instagram), but as far as I know he did not use such nibs for writing Chinese characters.

I think that particular Chinese character "永" (meaning "forever") already showcased the variation achieved by both position and pressure, but it may need some explanation.

A good example of "line variation by position" is that thin, hook-like stroke at the very bottom of the character. This is done by using the tip of the nib.

Most of the line variations in the character, however, are achieved by varying the pressure. But this can be further divided into two categories.

One is line variations that does not involve flex. That is, simply varying the pressure during normal writing. All the subtle variations in the vertical, horizontal, and down left strokes are achieved this way.

The other is line variations that involve flex. The down right stroke is one major example. In fact, achieving this kind of line variation in the down right stroke is the very reason for flex fude nibs.

Naginata Togi nibs and regular fude nibs are very good for writing vertical, horizontal, and down left strokes. But to write those down right strokes, I would have to use flex.

P.S. I believe that the now very rare King Cobra nib made by Mr. Nobuyoshi Nagahara was his solution to the "down right stroke problem", and I would assume that it could achieve the same line variation by position alone (I've never used one, though). Since I currently do not have the tools for making such nibs, using flex is the only possible option.

16 hours ago, USG said:

I'm all over the place today.  Started out with a ...

You WIN!!!!  

Ever notice that all the instruments looking for signs of intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth? 

~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~

If I said I'll fix it, I will. There's no need to remind me every six months. 

~ 

41 minutes ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

Lovely pen and drawing, @jandrew. Is this ink Sailor HaHa? 

Thanks. It's a mix

• 1 x Kyo no oto -- Ochiguriiro
  • 1 x Franklin Christoph -- Black Forest
  • 1 x Diamine -- Syrah
  • 2 x Pelikan Edelstein -- Topaz

Looks like a simple blue-black in writing, but reveals more hues when waterbrushed.

What have you done with the cat? It looks half dead.

~ Schrödinger's wife

14 minutes ago, Topgunbai said:

Thanks 😊 This flex fude nib is inspired by the work of Jose Munuera (nib.lab on Instagram), but as far as I know he did not use such nibs for writing Chinese characters.

I think that particular Chinese character "永" (meaning "forever") already showcased the variation achieved by both position and pressure, but it may need some explanation.

A good example of "line variation by position" is that thin, hook-like stroke at the very bottom of the character. This is done by using the tip of the nib.

Most of the line variations in the character, however, are achieved by varying the pressure. But this can be further divided into two categories.

One is line variations that does not involve flex. That is, simply varying the pressure during normal writing. All the subtle variations in the vertical, horizontal, and down left strokes are achieved this way.

The other is line variations that involve flex. The down right stroke is one major example. In fact, achieving this kind of line variation in the down right stroke is the very reason for flex fude nibs.

Naginata Togi nibs and regular fude nibs are very good for writing vertical, horizontal, and down left strokes. But to write those down right strokes, I would have to use flex.

P.S. I believe that the now very rare King Cobra nib made by Mr. Nobuyoshi Nagahara was his solution to the "down right stroke problem", and I would assume that it could achieve the same line variation by position alone (I've never used one, though). Since I currently do not have the tools for making such nibs, using flex is the only possible option.

Many thanks for this explanation, @Topgunbai! I'll look for these kinds of nibs in the future. Are you also selling them? 😄

1 minute ago, jandrew said:

Thanks. It's a mix

• 1 x Kyo no oto -- Ochiguriiro
  • 1 x Franklin Christoph -- Black Forest
  • 1 x Diamine -- Syrah
  • 2 x Pelikan Edelstein -- Topaz

Looks like a simple blue-black in writing, but reveals more hues when waterbrushed.

Wow, many thanks, I would have never guessed 😆

17 minutes ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

Many thanks for this explanation, @Topgunbai! I'll look for these kinds of nibs in the future. Are you also selling them? 😄

Unfortunately, the short answer is no, and it may remain so for a very long time...

Currently I modify nibs only as a hobby, and due to my limited spare time, it would not be a good idea for me to take any kind of order on nib work.

Still, I really appreciate your interest. Thank you very much, and may you have exciting experience on fountain pens in the future ☺️

On 11/20/2022 at 11:22 PM, USG said:

I'm all over the place today.  Started out with a Lamy 2k, OM and Private Reserve American blue. The strange thing about this OM nib is that it writes like an architect.

LAMY 2000 OM nibs are totally unpredictable. Mine writes like a broad with no oblique quality to it.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

4 hours ago, jmccarty3 said:

Mine writes like a broad with no oblique quality to it.

Sounds like a drier ink might be in order, to help square up the drool? 

Ever notice that all the instruments looking for signs of intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth? 

~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~

If I said I'll fix it, I will. There's no need to remind me every six months. 

~ 

10 hours ago, jmccarty3 said:

LAMY 2000 OM nibs are totally unpredictable. Mine writes like a broad with no oblique quality to it.

Mine can act like a broad too.  It's depends on the angle I hold the pen.  If I hold the nib parallel to a line on the page it'll act more like a broad, but if I rotate the pen counter clockwise to a 45⁰ angle, commensurate with the oblique cut, I get architect.

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

Helix Oxford Fountain Pen bought in Asda (Walmart) this morning whilst picking up other stationery and paracetamol 

Mark from the Latin Marcus follower of mars, the god of war.

Yorkshire Born, Yorkshire Bred. 

my current favourite author is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

largebronze-letter-exc.pngflying-letter-exc.png

2 hours ago, Mark from Yorkshire said:

Helix Oxford Fountain Pen bought in Asda (Walmart) this morning whilst picking up other stationery and paracetamol 

I have an Oxford pen. They do the job and don't cost more than a pint.