What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

An indigo Chren Chalana clone inked with CX made CX-11 purple shimmer ink.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• OldTravelingShoe

• Misfit

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Writing a Victorian style letter to a dear friend using a Moonman Demonstrator - 1.1 stub.

Ink:  Akkerman Scharlaken van Jan Steen.

IMG20230604011810_01.jpg

1 hour ago, Misfit said:

It’s likely the same as it would be in your native language. @Gloucesterman was using nib language, including point, oblique nib, fine nib, flex nib.  He played with those words in the message. I think from your posts, your English is very good.  

My English is not good enough to understand puns. Now, after thinking, I already understood the meaning, thanks :)

Hello,

it’s been years since I’ve been here in this thread last time. Meanehile I’ve learned quite a few things, through reading, individual research and from knowledgeable friends, but most if all, from sharing with fellow members within this great forum.

I love handwriting, it gives me rest and counterballance from working with computers. But most of all I love restoring damaged, broken, forsaken and trashed pens back to life. Not making frankenpens, but patiently restoring them to full form and function, no matter how much research and time it takes. No business, just for the fun of doing it. Two such pens that I’m using today have been donated to me as scrap beyond repair. Here they are now:

3AC5FB26-11BF-400A-B8F2-C0E9EFDF80DC.jpeg.4cbb9f97cd64c4c4892c6982e5ee9914.jpeg

- a 1936 honey-yellow celluloid and ebonite Pelikan 100 with flexible O8 nib, Sheaffer Skrip Red ink.

- a 1949 celluloid hand made Montblanc 142G with telescopic piston mechanism, ski-slope feed and smoothest OBB nib, Pelikan Blue Black Ink.

…and here are the nibs:

3BA590DB-3CFC-470D-B5F2-515480713035.jpeg.e6429f80c048fe505fed39f2ffe577a3.jpeg

Edited by stoen
ink description added

17 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

An indigo Chren Chalana clone inked with CX made CX-11 purple shimmer ink.

Hey PGC

I have no idea what a Chren Chalan is, let alone a Chren Chalana clone.  Google thinks a Chalan is a vintage Sailor thin  pen.... CluelessMe has no idea but wants to know. 🤪   Please enlighten.  😀

8 hours ago, zeroduke said:

IMG_2699.jpg

IMG_2700.jpg

IMG_2702.jpg

IMG_2703.jpg

IMG_2704.jpg

IMG_2706.jpg

IMG_2709.jpg

Gotta love that Nib !!!!! 😁  I've looked at versions of Montegrappa's textured pens over the years but never got around to getting one, other pens just got in the way...  It's niceto see your pic of it 🙂  +1

The Search Continues:

I'm still trying to find a suitable ink for my [F] M1000.  When I last left off, I had it half filled with Edelstein Topaz.  It ran through that in no short order so I put in more, via eye dropper.  It was a little too much.  It took a page or two to use it up.  Now I'm auditioning Daimine Presidential Blue.

It turns out that Diamine Presidential Blue is a dry blue-black ink that writes dark blue when wet and dries into a stately looking, blue leaning, blue-black. It writes one of the thinnest lines I've seen out of the M1000 but I'm not there yet..... 

During my ink testing, I've a chance to write on a number of different papers with the same pen and ink.

Papers tested:

● Tomoe River Sanzen 52gsm (not the same as the Kanso booklet paper)

● Tomoe River Notebook N 52gsm *

● Tomoe River Report Paper N 52gsm *

● Tomoe River SN 68gsm *

● JetPen's KANSO SASSHI Booklet (appears to be original Tomoe River 52gsm)

● Cosmo Snow 75gsm (Best for colors, shading, sheening) <-- my current favorite

● Iroful 75gsm (ivory)  (Second best for shading and sheening)

● Thin Kokuyo 52gsm  (tries very hard to be Tomoe River paper)

● Kokuyo KB 64gsm  (Inexpensive thin(ish) paper)

● Rhodia 80gsm  (Fountain pen standard)

● Clairefontaine 90gsm  (Fountain pen standard)

● HP 24lb copy paper 

*  My understanding is that the N paper is from when Tomoegawa switched from the #7 machine to the #9 machine (before Sanzen took over).  They bear a close visual resemblance to the Sanzen paper but not the Booklet paper.   I found all 3 had some feathering with my test ink, Vintage Namiki Blue, but not all inks.

The Sailor pen has Sailor Manyo Konagi ink, but (IMHO) doesn't have enough flow to show Konagi's full potential.   I changed my opinion.😁

[YMMV and my opinions frequently  change]

IMG_3897900.jpg.c9598945f6e1d96369267bf98944181e.jpg

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

2 minutes ago, Tashi_Tsering said:

Parker Duofold Jr. (circa 1925)

IMG_0630.jpeg

Hey,  really nice 🙂...Is that a lighter?

1 minute ago, USG said:

Hey,  really nice 🙂...Is that a lighter?

Yes. German petrol lighter Colibri “Original” (aka Kickstart), I think from early 1930th. I like this red-orange color and it goes well with Parker

17 minutes ago, USG said:

Hey PGC

I have no idea what a Chren Chalan is, let alone a Chren Chalana clone.  Google thinks a Chalan is a vintage Sailor thin  pen.... CluelessMe has no idea but wants to know. 🤪   Please enlighten.  😀

Chren (传人) is the manufacturer of the clone of the discontinued Sailor Chalana. The color of the clone is magnificent.IMG_0076.thumb.jpeg.b63919d64fb3927c26b2cfaaac3430d2.jpeg

I’m going to use it today as well, since I grabbed it for the photo. Lookit that tiny nib!

3 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

Chren (传人) is the manufacturer of the clone of the discontinued Sailor Chalana. The color of the clone is magnificent.IMG_0076.thumb.jpeg.b63919d64fb3927c26b2cfaaac3430d2.jpeg

I’m going to use it today as well, since I grabbed it for the photo. Lookit that tiny nib!

Spectacular color... I agree extremely tiny nib, looks like a fun pen 👍...  haha, now I have to look up purple shimmer ink.... 

Delta Momo LE

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

On 5/30/2023 at 12:27 PM, Mangrove Jack said:

Same here. With Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher. 

I’m using a cartridge, I’ve never had good luck filling the safaris from a bottle. I dont really know why. I make a mess with them. 

On 5/31/2023 at 3:09 AM, USG said:

Trying to find an ink for the M1000:

The problem: dip testing didn't reveal the true line width so I  removed the nib, and added half an eyedropper of ink to the barrel for each ink, then bulb flush, dry and next ink

• Edelstein Sapphire <--started with
  • 4001 Konigsblau vintage
  • Diamine Sapphire
  • Diamine China Blue
  • 4001 Blue-Black vintage
  • Robert Oster Ng Special
  • Robert Oster Australis Oak
  • Diamine Prussian Blue
  • Monteverde Fire Opal
  • J Herbin Bleue Nuit vintage
  • J Herbin Violette Pensee vintage
  • Diamine Mediteranean Blue
  • Diamine Majestic Blue
  • Edelstein Topaz <-- ended with, still not satisfied

IMG_3878 900.jpg

What nib do you have? I just bought a 3B nib for this, I wasn’t able to find the complete pen since they discontinued the nib. Im about to buy the pen. I plan on using iroshizuku ink. I use it in most of my pens. Have you found any issues with it in a Pelikan?

Today it's been a Noodler's FPC (I think it's the King Philip's Purple one), flex nib, newly inked up with Birmingham Point Park Fountain Turquoise (which looks more like a teal-leaning green to me; since it also doesn't look much like the fountain in Point State Park either, I'm trying do decide how much I like the color...).  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Today I am using a Danish pen, a Miller 343, which the seller also called "Doric" because it has some resemblances to the Wahl Eversharp Dorics -- 12 facets, and a filigree cap band, but it is a button-filler rather than a lever-filler. It also has a lovely nib that compares well with an Eversharp Signature. The material is dark brown and black mottled celluloid (I think), and I have loaded it with Waterman Absolute Brown. It's a quiet pen with minimal decoration, and a pleasure to use. 

39 minutes ago, M.C. said:

What nib do you have? I just bought a 3B nib for this, I wasn’t able to find the complete pen since they discontinued the nib. Im about to buy the pen. I plan on using iroshizuku ink. I use it in most of my pens. Have you found any issues with it in a Pelikan?

My M1000 has a Fine nib. The problem I've encountered is that the pen has an enormous ink flow and writes like a super wet medium or broad depending on the paper.   My search is for a dry ink, in a reasonable color, that can get the pen under control.

I found that Iroshizuku inks are way too wet for my taste, they just pout out of my M1000, but since you're interested in a 3B, a big, thick. wet, line might be what you're looking for. 🙂

2 minutes ago, USG said:

My M1000 has a Fine nib. The problem I've encountered is that the pen has an enormous ink flow and writes like a super wet medium or broad depending on the paper.   My search is for a dry ink, in a reasonable color, that can get the pen under control.

I found that Iroshizuku inks are way too wet for my taste, they just pout out of my M1000, but since you're interested in a 3B, a big, thick. wet, line might be what you're looking for. 🙂

I had the same problem with my first Pelikan, a 1990s era M400 Brown Tortoise (also an F nib).  I had thought to put Iroshizuku Yama-guri in it, and use the pen for drawing.  But the ink was just too wet.  Noodler's Walnut (which was too dry for the first pen I tried it in) was a much better ink for that pen, as was Edelstein Smoky Quartz (which is almost the same color as Yama-guri, just a much drier ink).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

31 minutes ago, USG said:

That's why I got an extra fine nib. I just had a gut feeling. 

the Danitrio Fellowship