• inkstainedruth

• OldTravelingShoe

• Misfit

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Franklin Christoph 20 / PO

large.2023-03-20-1.jpg.4e0c513119e0fb9aa529c2ebfd5a4860.jpg

What have you done with the cat? It looks half dead.

~ Schrödinger's wife

So far today it's been the Parker 75 Ciselé, B nib, still with MB Jimi Hendrix.  At this rate, I may have to break down and buy another bottle of it before it disappears forever.... :wallbash: And it isn't exactly inexpensive to begin with -- but is a really beautiful purple.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I think after some initial 'teething problems' my Sheaffer No Nonsense  F Italic and  I,  are finally starting to connect. :thumbup:IMG_3193(3).jpg.8bea88058e99c721256ee2830f602dda.jpg

IMG_3194(1).jpg.567fd97a57732f0f01137ab2cf1d2130.jpg

I'm trying to use the much unloved Lamy Studio with which I have had trouble earlier.  I say 'trying' (with emphasis) because the bugger still won't write.  Instead of the converter or cartridges falling off, it isn't taking up ink through the feed.  It is now soaking as it is assumed the nib is blocked with dried ink.

I’m using a TWSBI Diamond Mini in white and rose gold version 2 with a 1.1mm stub nib. It is filled with a sample of Pelikan Edelstein Turmaline. 

Posted Image

Today's journal pen is a Pilot Elite with a Posting nib filled with Iroshizuku Take-sumi. Exquisitely fine and slightly dry, but without any scratchy. Just how I like them. :wub:

large.PilotElite_PO_TakeSumi.jpg.04adfb91fc477513c78acc9741519224.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

2 hours ago, ParramattaPaul said:

I'm trying to use the much unloved Lamy Studio with which I have had trouble earlier.  I say 'trying' (with emphasis) because the bugger still won't write.  Instead of the converter or cartridges falling off, it isn't taking up ink through the feed.  It is now soaking as it is assumed the nib is blocked with dried ink.

UPDATE:  The pen now works.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that I've discovered that I don't like the ergonomic section/grip.  My grandson will have a new pen soon.

Quiet Writing fountain pen this morning...

2023-03-21-1.jpg.e4d9ac8943a85136506189886ee7e1d2.jpg

What have you done with the cat? It looks half dead.

~ Schrödinger's wife

Lamy Studio with a fine, 14k gold nib. Filled with Diamine Pumpkin (which is shockingly bright in person, practically neon).

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done"  Ludwig Wittgenstein

"It is impossible to design something that is foolproof because fools are so ingenious." - Groucho Marx

6 hours ago, Rebbe said:

Diamine Pumpkin (which is shockingly bright in person, practically neon).

No... I'm waiting for that. Reviews that encouraged me to order suggested it was a greyed orange. :sick:

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Today, a 1960s English Parker Duofold Junior, M nib, filled with ESSRI.

Also a Pelikan M805, F, filled with Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black.

When I first joined FPN I could not see any appeal at all in blue-black inks. A dark and uninspiring colour, neither blue nor black, often leaning towards grey. Where’s the fun in that?

Now I find my self owning cartridges of two different types of it, bottles of four other different types of it, and with a lingering desire for a bottle of yet another type 🤷‍♂️

I blame all o’ y’all on FPN for this - this place is a hive of inveterate Enablers! 😉😁

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

17 minutes ago, Mercian said:

Today, a 1960s English Parker Duofold Junior, M nib, filled with ESSRI.

Also a Pelikan M805, F, filled with Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black.

When I first joined FPN I could not see any appeal at all in blue-black inks. A dark and uninspiring colour, neither blue nor black, often leaning towards grey. Where’s the fun in that?

Now I find my self owning cartridges of two different types of it, bottles of four other different types of it, and with a lingering desire for a bottle of yet another type 🤷‍♂️

I blame all o’ y’all on FPN for this - this place is a hive of inveterate Enablers! 😉😁

Spooky 🙄....After joining FPN my first purchase of bottled ink was Pelikan 4001 Blue//Black :thumbup:  Even worse... I've recently been looking at a Parker Duofold (1960?) to use with ESSRI...😲  To top it off I've just ordered some Pilot Blu/Blk carts to use with the Pilot Plumix Italics I've just ordered.....🤣🤣🤣

Would be great to hear your Blue/Black ink choices and if the Duofold plays nicely with the ESSRI ink.... my next ink purchase without a doubt.

43 minutes ago, 51ISH said:

Would be great to hear your Blue/Black ink choices and if the Duofold plays nicely with the ESSRI ink.... my next ink purchase without a doubt.

I have the following Blue-blacks (in order of my first purchase of them):

Rohrer & Klingner Salix (the i-g blue-black that stays bluest after oxidation). It has really very lovely shading. An ink that Sandy1 declared to be capable of Majik - and I agree. Water-resistant, but it will fade if left exposed to light;

Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite (dye-based, contains piston-lubricant for M-series Pelikans). A rather dark blue-black that shades and can be made to sheen. Decent water resistance;

Pilot Blue/black in cartridges (to use in a 78G - & also because Pilot refuse to let Brits buy it in the 70ml bottles or 350ml bottles that they sell to other countries). It’s a very dark blue rather than a ‘true’ blue-black. Has decent water resistance. I don’t know whether or not it is lightfast;

Parker Quink Blue/Black in cartridges (post-2017 version). Although it has the positive physical properties of other Quink inks, it turns to a light teal colour on papers that contain sulphates/sulphites. As such, I consider it to be a ‘Blue-Teal’ ink rather than a ‘Blue-black’. Zero water resistance;

ESSRI (the heavy i-g ink recommended for use by HM Passport Office and our Registrars). Also one of the inks deemed capable of Majik by Sandy1.
Oxidises to different degrees on different papers. Gives shading while writing but, from a wet-writing pen, oxidises to a very solid black. Very water-resistant.
I have pinned a couple of sentences written on Rhodia in ESSRI to a notice-board in my kitchen, 6 feet from a south-facing window. Ok, I live in England (as opposed to e.g. Nevada or Colombia or Nepal), but after a year on that board there has been no lightening of the writing due to light ‘bleaching’ the ink.

If you buy ESSRI, I urge you to decant it out of its gas-permeable plastic posting-bottle, and in to glass bottles from which to use it. Exact details of the process available on-request.

Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black (contains a little bit of iron-gall). Darker than R&K Salix. Not as dark as Edelstein Tanzanite. Esteemed FPN members have summed-up this ink by saying “When you are out of 4001 Blue-black, you are out of ink”, and “If Carlsberg made ink, theirs would probably be the second-best ink in the world”.

As for my experience with ESSRI in my Duofold Junior:

my Duofold is still relatively new-to-me, and still only on its very first fill of ESSRI.
It has been working very nicely so far - but I am reserving judgement until I have used up the whole fill at least.
I want to find out whether it will dry-out in the pen (the cap has a ventilation hole), and whether or not it’s easy to clean out.
I suspect that it will be hard to clean out completely, based on the pen having an aerometric filler, and on how much cleaning I had to do to get all the old ink out of the pen’s ebonite feed before I loaded it with my ESSRI.

But, as I intend to use only ESSRI in this pen, my cleaning regime will be limited to plain-water rinses every couple of fills, rather than my usual cleaning routine when switching between inks (which errs on the side of OCD when changing inks).

Slàinte,

M.

Edited by Mercian
Edited to entealulate part of the text.

mini-postcard-exc.png

I lamented and used the Lamy that will soon belong to my 19year old grandson today.  Admittedly, it was just to write a reminder in my diary.

8 minutes ago, ParramattaPaul said:

I lamented and used the Lamy that will soon belong to my 19year old grandson today

You mean you Lamy-ented? 😉

Bahdumtissshhh! ThangyewverymuchfolksI’llbehereallweek….

mini-postcard-exc.png

3 minutes ago, Mercian said:

You mean you Lamy-ented? 😉

Bahdumtissshhh! ThangyewverymuchfolksI’llbehereallweek….

'That be the one.'  BTW, the red converter fits and works.  Ta for that.

Just now, ParramattaPaul said:

BTW, the red converter fits and works.  Ta for that.

Yay! 👍

mini-postcard-exc.png