What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

5 minutes ago, Gloucesterman said:

Photo is fine -imo.

looks nice.

Thanks 👍 

But the left hand side (border?)  was meant to be at the bottom of the photo, if that makes any sense?

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• OldTravelingShoe

• Misfit

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, 51ISH said:

Thanks 👍 

But the left hand side (border?)  was meant to be at the bottom of the photo, if that makes any sense?

So what. It still looks fine to me (or is it medium LOL).

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

8 minutes ago, Gloucesterman said:

So what. It still looks fine to me (or is it medium LOL).

🙂 It's a Fine... I've never swapped a nib out before, I'm very careful with my ''stuff' normally. (I still have no idea how it got damaged)  I didn't realize when I ordered it I could have ordered a Bock or JoWo and removed it from the 'holder' so I just ordered a 'naked' nib off ebay. I had to have a couple of tries to get it to 'sit' how I wanted it to on the feed and in the pen.  Then I loaded it with Pelikan 4001 Bl/Blk and it wasn't great. I flushed the pen again and loaded it with Aurora Black. Very happy with the result. 

Many thanks to Arkanabar for his advice on the converter earlier today, or it wouldn't be up and running so soon. 👍

5 hours ago, 51ISH said:

I have found that photos taken on ‘mobile’ devices often get rotated when I try to upload them.

The way to prevent this is to ‘edit’ the photo on one’s mobile device prior to uploading it.
I have found that if I rotate it and save it on my mobile device, and then ‘edit’ it to rotate it back to the ‘correct’ orientation and re-save it, the photo will subsequently upload in the correct orientation.

I suspect that the problem is caused by the ‘intelligent’ algorithms on mobile devices assigning an orientation marker to each image, and the forum software then using that marker to orient the image here.

I have also noticed that if I take a few photos of the contents of, say, a pub menu, my phone will arbitrarily save one of the images in the incorrect orientation (i.e. rotated by 90 deg).

Technology, shmecnology!

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

13 minutes ago, Mercian said:

I have found that photos taken on ‘mobile’ devices often get rotated when I try to upload them.

The way to prevent this is to ‘edit’ the photo on one’s mobile device prior to uploading it.
I have found that if I rotate it and save it on my mobile device, and then ‘edit’ it to rotate it back to the ‘correct’ orientation and re-save it, the photo will subsequently upload in the correct orientation.

I suspect that the problem is caused by the ‘intelligent’ algorithms on mobile devices assigning an orientation marker to each image, and the forum software then using that marker to orient the image here.

I have also noticed that if I take a few photos of the contents of, say, a pub menu, my phone will arbitrarily save one of the images in the incorrect orientation (i.e. rotated by 90 deg).

Technology, shmecnology!

Thanks for this, I'll try that.

23 hours ago, 51ISH said:

IMG_3188(1).thumb.JPG.7a1941b729f0a5f90b53cedf347f38a7.JPGMy Chinese Dolce-Vita Naranja.  I fitted the replacement nib and loaded her up with Aurora Black.  👍   (Apologies about the photo, I've tried every which way but it keeps rotating when I upload it)

Nice work! 

Today’s pen is a matte green Sheaffer Fashion II 264 (F). I have a Skrip blue cartridge in it, but I think it’s last ink was green because it’s coming out a nice teal (not peacock, but still pretty). I swear I cleaned it as soon as it was delivered.

On 3/8/2023 at 7:10 PM, Pale.Ink.Tom said:

IMG_1441.thumb.JPG.8d4ad3dfc442b8c85ab47df9cbe8e918.JPG

IMG_1442.thumb.JPG.0180898854379c0513d284e6755fa394.JPG

That looks beautiful.  I've avoided brass and copper pens because I found them a little heavier than I like but the patina on your Kaweco makes me want to rush out and buy one (or their new limited edition bronze)!

1 hour ago, Surlyprof said:

That looks beautiful.  I've avoided brass and copper pens because I found them a little heavier than I like but the patina on your Kaweco makes me want to rush out and buy one

That sounds like a great idea @Surlyprof I won't be far behind you!

Some aspects of my hobby are not easily explained or understood, like my strong attachment to the 'Sport' and to metal components.

All I can say is I love the 'Tool-like' sensation and the tight, precise, response...(like a scalpel or a Go-Cart)🤔

While I do own many of the fountain pens other enthusiasts highly regard the Sport is the one model that has a charm and utility unmatched in my experience.

The 'Blue Stonewashed, AL Sport is a very pleasant weight also and I feel nostalgia for my faded jeans😊

I have seen it and will be buying a 'Bronze' Sport as soon as possible.

Pale.Ink.Tom

πTom

Today's journal pen was an Asvine P30 F filled with Rohrer & Klingner Sepia. It's a heavy pen, at the limit of tolerance for a long writing session for me - something I haven't experienced before and educational for it. I still love the kinda steampunk looks, so for short notes it will be the go-to until further notice.

Are there any other pens with this look - clear barrel, colour ends & cap, cigar-shaped and piston fill? It's unique in my collection.

large.asvine_p30.jpg.a2b95a5405e1f72ded9a8b0853dbba84.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

It's my Bejing Jin Xing 28 filled with Diamine Sherwood Green for me 😍

And my Chinese Dolce-Vita Narana loaded with Aurora Black...🙂

IMG_3188(1).JPG

index.jpg

On 3/10/2023 at 6:41 PM, Mercian said:

Technology, shmecnology!

I found the exact same thing.  It mostly happened when I held the phone horizontal with the lens toward me... did the same thing you did to straighten it out. 👍

Today's Pen

1554683513_IMG_3485900.jpg.5bf4c6862c0ca118ac390d434a970cc8.jpg

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

A Retro 51 Peacock with 1.1mm stub nib. I got several samples with peacock in the names of the inks. First in the pen has been 3 Oysters Peacock Green. It’s almost empty. Next will be 3 Oysters Peacock Blue. 

Posted Image

Today's journal pen is a Wing Sung 699 EF filled with Sailor 970. The ink is indeed similar to the deleted Iroshizuku Ina-ho and curiously doesn't photograph well in the same way. Here more brown than the green I see in the real. I'll ink up with the Ina-ho to write with tomorrow...

large.WingSung699_Sailor970.jpg.271a8d52e38d34f4b3f68dd9622ecfce.jpg

I’m using a Pelikan M200 Cognac with B nib that was filled today from a sample of Van Dieman’s Leatherwood Honey Amber. Also in use is a Pilot Prera Iro-ai in pink with CM nib filled with Iroshizuku Yama-Budo. 

Posted Image

Today's journal pen was an EF Lamy 2000 filled with Lamy Petrol. And a Lamy Safari Charcoal F - accidentally filled with the same ink - is doing ToDoList duty until it's empty!

Yeah, there's enough autumn humidity in the air (even though it's still pretty hot) for any of the pens that tend to dry out to come out to play, but not with the same ink... :wacko:

On 3/12/2023 at 11:59 AM, AmandaW said:

Are there any other pens with this look - clear barrel, colour ends & cap, cigar-shaped and piston fill? It's unique in my collection.

The Aurora 88 Minerali series are piston-filled demonstrators with colourful auroloide finials, but their caps are transparent.

The Wancher Crystal series (which, despite having long since been discontinued, were still available on AliExpress at least until late last year) have opaque monotone caps and colourful finials, but are c/c-filled pen models designed to be usable as eyedropper-filled pens. Fine Writing International's Chinese Constellations series are of the exact same mould. (They are the predecessors to the Wancher Crystal II and FWI Planets series, respectively.) The cap finials are closer to what you'd find on a cigar-shaped pen, while the barrel finials are more torpedo-shaped.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

1 hour ago, A Smug Dill said:

The Aurora 88 Minerali series are piston-filled demonstrators with colourful auroloide finials, but their caps are transparent.

The Wancher Crystal series (which, despite having long since been discontinued, were still available on AliExpress at least until late last year) have opaque monotone caps and colourful finials, but are c/c-filled pen models designed to be usable as eyedropper-filled pens. Fine Writing International's Chinese Constellations series are of the exact same mould. (They are the predecessors to the Wancher Crystal II and FWI Planets series, respectively.) The cap finials are closer to what you'd find on a cigar-shaped pen, while the barrel finials are more torpedo-shaped.

Thankyou! I did find and order the Lorelei 667 with the purple accents after much scrolling. There don't seem to be many reviews of it which I find a concern, but there seems to be some relationship between the Asvine and Lorelei. And the same seller so it should be here pretty quick. I am guessing, with crossed fingers, that the Asvine P30 and the Lorelei 667 are essentially the same pen with different accent materials...

Will go look at your suggestions too. Right now. :)