What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

17 hours ago, mallymal1 said:

Today I am using a PenBBS 308-3 White Pearl, with an F nib.

spacer.png

Wow, so pretty.  Nice ink choice in Visconti Blue.  

Posted Image

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• OldTravelingShoe

• Misfit

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today's journal pen was a Matte Black Pilot Capless EF filled with Yama-guri ink.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Man about town yesterday as I picked up watches given for servicing as well as went to "town" for some window shopping (and shopping) for pens. What better pen to carry for that purpose than the Kaweco Collection in iridiscent white?

Inked with Kaweco Orange. The pen has a medium nib. 

Had a wonderful afternoon and evening running into a friend I haven't met in over 20 years at Time World, and running into  Asapens Subbu at Gem and Co. 

A Saturday well spent!

IMG_20230205_090253-01.jpeg

IMG_20230205_090324-01.jpeg

Following yesterday's about town, today is couch potato mode. But that doesn't mean I don't write or I don't need an inked pen in my pocket. 

For today, picked up another Kaweco Collection, this time in metal, the iguana. Fabulous, fabulous colour. Medium nib, inked with the Kaweco turquoise.

IMG_20230205_085800-02.jpeg

IMG_20230205_085739-01.jpeg

3 hours ago, Misfit said:

@naganaga I enjoyed your tale of going around town. My local pen store is a 40 minute drive away. 

I am in the city and so are my favourite pen stores. 

The "boutique" is around 4km/10-12 mins away, in the next neighbourhood. The watch shop and other pen shops are in the old part of our city (used to be called "town" collectively) and around 9km/30-35 mins away. "town" is a hassle for parking though!

DABD088B-2188-4919-9AE4-1CDFFFADC475.thumb.jpeg.6f4e32538ec32740c4a9f68807545e36.jpegThe cross Beverly running Diamine Presidential Blue ink. Antique / Vintage paper that one of my Aunts had

Mark from the Latin Marcus follower of mars, the god of war.

Yorkshire Born, Yorkshire Bred. 

my current favourite author is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

largebronze-letter-exc.pngflying-letter-exc.png

17 hours ago, Gloucesterman said:

Jinaho x159 (F) w/ Pelikan Turquoise ink

I like that color GTM.🙂 👍

13 hours ago, Mercian said:

A black Pelikan M805 with a bi-colour ‘F’ nib, filled with Pelikan 4001 Blau-Schwarz.*

An early 1970s Parker 45 ‘flighter’ with a slightly flexy 14k gold ‘M’ nib**, filled with Waterman ‘Havana’ (a maroon ink that is nowadays sold under the alias “Absolute Brown”).

* this is a particularly good combination of pen & ink for use if I am pretending to be a Grown-up.

** this nib hates me - whatever ink I run through it, the line it produces is finer than a western EF, unless I lean on the nib. Or use Oxford Optik paper, on which it actually works as it should 🤷‍♂️

Maroon? I always thought it looked brown...  isn't this Maroon?

image.png.0fc24be0f100cda4601f2b480abb2d69.png

It looks very close to the color on the box

(sorry about the very quick and dirty cellphone pic)

1773712337_IMG_3335800.jpg.11d3dd8117a6eda5fec2d8141ab7bf54.jpg

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

1 hour ago, USG said:

While each of us perceives colours in our own way (and our cameras/monitors render them individually as well), I perceive the colour that you posted to be more ‘dark purple’ than ‘maroon’ - because I don’t see much brown in it.

In my understanding, ‘maroon’ is a brown that has a tinge of red to it.

My ‘Havana’ certainly has a pronounced reddish tinge.

It’s true that my ink is old (I bought it about 20 years ago), but I have not noticed any shift in its colour on the page - I have always perceived it to be ‘maroon’.

This is because my first ‘brown’ ink was Parker Penman Mocha, which has far less red in its tone, and because I use fine-nibbed pens.

If one writes with ‘Havana’ in a fine or ‘dry’ pen, its red tone really leaps off the page.

In wider and wetter nibs it appears to be more brown.

I’ll find some photos and show what I mean, but I am about to eat, so it’ll be a little while….

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

2 hours ago, USG said:

I like that color GTM.🙂 👍

image.png.0fc24be0f100cda4601f2b480abb2d69.png

It looks very close to the color on the box

(sorry about the very quick and dirty cellphone pic)

1773712337_IMG_3335800.jpg.11d3dd8117a6eda5fec2d8141ab7bf54.jpg

The first image, to me looks magenta/purple. The second one is definitely a dark brown, almost lighter blackish.

Of course between our own individual perceptions and the screen rendering - YMMV.

Also, the seller offers a "brown-ish" version which is a lighter brown with a somewhat olive (to my eyes) coloring.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Ok, herebelow are some pictures to try to justify my description of Waterman Havana/Absolute Brown as ‘maroon’.

My first one was taken from the FPN review of this ink by @Intensity.

large.EAD6674C-0ABD-4715-9D99-436732060550.jpeg.d331a467eba88b778bcb781871949af3.jpeg

I think that the writing on the Clairefontaine paper (on the left of this picture) looks much more ‘maroon’ than it does ‘brown’.

Next picture:

large.7462D5B2-BAA3-43C2-AA42-F006D1DA1FD6.jpeg.a5e53eb0fe287c2fbd373f5bdb08388e.jpeg

It’s a comparison of Havana with Diamine Chocolate Brown. The light glinting off the Havana directly underneath the Diamine Chocolate emphasizes how much more ‘maroon’ the Havana can appear to be.

Next picture:

large.514B78FE-554C-46EC-9ED0-809F733F1AC9.jpeg.74df90d6c642afbc218e9f03670d1cc9.jpeg

This is from the bottom of that page of writing. It shows Havana above some Parker Penman Mocha, again to illustrate the greater amount of ‘red’ in the Havana.

My final picture:

large.7CA2984D-334D-4743-90D0-6DF303A78C2F.jpeg.b471f62531822f626c94a1975126c850.jpeg

It shows what was left on a paper ‘kitchen towel’ when I wicked some plain water through a pen to try to flush out the remnants of its fill of Havana. This is not ‘real’ chromatography, but it does illustrate the large amount of magenta/pink dye in the makeup of Havana/Absolute Brown.

Havana/Absolute Brown is a splendid ink, in that it flows nicely and reliably, doesn’t clog pens, and is fairly easy to clean out too.

I just think that there are other inks whose colours are far better suited to the description ‘brown’, and don’t think of it as ‘brown’ myself.

In the same way, I do not regard either Parker’s or Waterman’s ‘blue black’ ink as actual ‘blue black’ inks.

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

Pilot falcon, soft medium. This has become my go to pen. I love the flex of the nib - it remind me of the vintage nibs I have,without the stress of losing a pen that will be very difficult to replace. It posts rather well too.

IMG_20230205_171623941.jpg

24 minutes ago, Mercian said:

Ok, herebelow are some pictures to try to justify my description of Waterman Havana/Absolute Brown as ‘maroon’.

My first one was taken from the FPN review of this ink by @Intensity.

large.EAD6674C-0ABD-4715-9D99-436732060550.jpeg.d331a467eba88b778bcb781871949af3.jpeg

I think that the writing on the Clairefontaine paper (on the left of this picture) looks much more ‘maroon’ than it does ‘brown’.

Next picture:

large.7462D5B2-BAA3-43C2-AA42-F006D1DA1FD6.jpeg.a5e53eb0fe287c2fbd373f5bdb08388e.jpeg

It’s a comparison of Havana with Diamine Chocolate Brown. The light glinting off the Havana directly underneath the Diamine Chocolate emphasizes how much more ‘maroon’ the Havana can appear to be.

Next picture:

large.514B78FE-554C-46EC-9ED0-809F733F1AC9.jpeg.74df90d6c642afbc218e9f03670d1cc9.jpeg

This is from the bottom of that page of writing. It shows Havana above some Parker Penman Mocha, again to illustrate the greater amount of ‘red’ in the Havana.

My final picture:

large.7CA2984D-334D-4743-90D0-6DF303A78C2F.jpeg.b471f62531822f626c94a1975126c850.jpeg

It shows what was left on a paper ‘kitchen towel’ when I wicked some plain water through a pen to try to flush out the remnants of its fill of Havana. This is not ‘real’ chromatography, but it does illustrate the large amount of magenta/pink dye in the makeup of Havana/Absolute Brown.

Havana/Absolute Brown is a splendid ink, in that it flows nicely and reliably, doesn’t clog pens, and is fairly easy to clean out too.

I just think that there are other inks whose colours are far better suited to the description ‘brown’, and don’t think of it as ‘brown’ myself.

In the same way, I do not regard either Parker’s or Waterman’s ‘blue black’ ink as actual ‘blue black’ inks.

Haha, maybe that color swatch looks a little purple but when I copied it, it looked maroon.... 🤪

Is this better?

image.png.be6ae2818cc0d7df9e3d2bb1bcc60c2e.png

My Havana is as old as yours and as you can see in the pic, it's dark brown.  I always saw the color as very close to the darker brown on the box.  I never saw it as a maroon.

I see all the examples you posted but I've been through a few bottles of Havana and I have one right in front of me, and the color of the ink is not far from the dark brown color on the box.  If you want to say that the color of the ink in my post has darkened over the years I won't argue. 

I'm not discounting anyone's ink review but I have no choice but to repeat that the Havana  bottle I dipped into today, is the color of the ink in my  cell phone pic, dark brown.  To check the accuracy of the colors in my pic, I'd like you to compare the color on your box of Havana to the color of the box of Havana in picture I posted. 

If you want to say the color of the ink can range, give or take, from the dark color on the box to the light color on the box I'm in agreement, but I'm not going to call the either color maroon. 🙂

Penman Mocha was a favorite of mine.  I always saw Mocha as a brown-black.  Nothing like Havana.  And when you compare the two next to each other, the Mocha accentuates the reddish tones in the Havana, but that doesn't make it maroon.🙂

The Blue-blacks are another story. 

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

The 'quiet writing' pen this morning

large.2023-02-05-1.jpg.18146d161f122d621e1604a9186f4287.jpg

What have you done with the cat? It looks half dead.

~ Schrödinger's wife

2 hours ago, Mercian said:

I think that one looks more brick red than maroon!  The image on the right does actually look look like a cognac brown to me, rather than in the deep burgundy/maroon family.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

21 hours ago, 51ISH said:

But she's such a gorgeous looking thing, I'll live with that. (Just like Richard Gere accepted Cindy Crawford had a beauty mark  🤣🤣🤣)

Yeah, but then I saw him on time on The Tonight Show a number of years ago, and was getting ribbed about "You dressed yourself, didn't you?" and he admitted to routinely being told "You're not going to wear THAT outfit [in public] are you?!"  :lol:

Back on topic, now.  Today it's been the White and Red Safari, B nib, still with Lamy Crystal Azurite.  Trying to I decide whether I really like the combination -- the ink is pretty wet, and when I had to refill it this morning was going "Oh, right -- there's that little indentation at the bottom of the section that just seems to catch ink in it ALL the time...." :headsmack:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

33 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Yeah, but then I saw him on time on The Tonight Show a number of years ago, and was getting ribbed about "You dressed yourself, didn't you?" and he admitted to routinely being told "You're not going to wear THAT outfit [in public] are you?!"  :lol:

Back on topic, now.  Today it's been the White and Red Safari, B nib, still with Lamy Crystal Azurite.  Trying to I decide whether I really like the combination -- the ink is pretty wet, and when I had to refill it this morning was going "Oh, right -- there's that little indentation at the bottom of the section that just seems to catch ink in it ALL the time...." :headsmack:

Have to say he always looked like he needed a good haircut to me, but that may have been jealousy on my part 🙂

Back on topic, have to say my pens have been taking a 'back seat',  I really must get my Matt Black Safari with Italic nib loaded with something 'interesting' like Diamine Oxblood or Damson.  I generally use EF, F, or M nibs so the Italic brings out the 'rebel' in me 🤣

Adding to my previous post:

Also pulled out the Red Shadow Wave Vac (lockdown filler, F) nib and added enough water to get the dried up ink (Waterman Mysterious Blue) reconstituted.....

I've really neglected that pen, after running it for something like 3 years with only refilling it as needed (no other maintenance required).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Ferrari 300 Rosso Corsa red m nib inked with Colorverse Lights of Ceres red

1409688897_FarraiSheaffer.thumb.jpg.bd49699b19665136933cdd1beec50ba6.jpg

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!