What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

1 hour ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

Very nice pen 😉

I found the Parker 45 line accidentally, and now I am thinking it would be an excellent EDC. (Also a cheap one, as I believe one can find the much cheaper plastic versions for below the cost of a Lamy Safari.) 

sandy101 made a good reply. 

I know that some don't like the 45 as an EDC, as it has a slip cap, and they're worried that they'll end up with a pocket full of ink. I guess it depends on how you're going to carry it. To me, the slip cap is ideal for quick response, and therefore every day use.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• OldTravelingShoe

• Misfit

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, Number99 said:

That's excellent.

I also love the Parker 45.

I found a blue version of Coronet today!

I've been collecting Flighter variants of the same type lately. (probably Japanese version)

The blue coronet is a very pretty pen! 

Today, I purchased a later production Flighter, with a black cabochon on the top of the cap. 👍

I'd love to see your collection of 45 Flighters. Maybe posted in the Parker Forum?

25 minutes ago, mallymal1 said:

The blue coronet is a very pretty pen! 

Today, I purchased a later production Flighter, with a black cabochon on the top of the cap. 👍

I'd love to see your collection of 45 Flighters. Maybe posted in the Parker Forum?

Congratulations on your acquisition of 45 fp with cabochons.

For some reason, the newest model, the Parker 45 fp with cabochons is not showing up for a long time... When it does, it comes with a higher price tag than the Coronet...

There are only mechanical pencils and ballpoint pens…and they are waiting for the main fountain pens to come.

I hope to show you the variant fp someday.

Today I am using a Sailor 1911L with a nib ground to a .5mm Italic by Mike Masuyama.   I have it filled with Waterman Mysterious Blue, writes like a dream.

IMG_2296.jpg

Pen(s) in Rotation:

Majohn A1 (Extra-Fine) - Diamine Denim

Pelikan M200 Smoky Quartz (Fine) - Iroshizuku Yama-budo

Lamy 2000 Ballpoint - Lamy Black Medium Refilll

6 hours ago, Waverly said:

Today I am using a Sailor 1911L with a nib ground to a .5mm Italic by Mike Masuyama.   I have it filled with Waterman Mysterious Blue, writes like a dream.

IMG_2296.jpg

Looks good. I am wanting to get Mike Masuyama to change my 1911L, H-M nib to italic. What nib size was it before it was ground, please? Is yours now a cursive or formal italic? How do like it? 

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

11 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

Looks good. I am wanting to get Mike Masuyama to change my 1911L, H-M nib to italic. What nib size was it before it was ground, please? Is yours now a cursive or formal italic? How do like it? 

Thanks.  The 1911L had a broad nib, and I requested a Japanese medium cursive italic as it was a bit to wide for me.  I don't have a lot of experience with italic nibs, but this one seems to have nice line variation, is super smooth to write with, the ink flow from the nib is just right.  It is also pretty forgiving on the angle you hold the pen.

The turn around for the grind was about 10 weeks, but I am happy I had Mike do the work.  It was exactly what I was hoping for.  Hope you enjoy yours as well. 

Pen(s) in Rotation:

Majohn A1 (Extra-Fine) - Diamine Denim

Pelikan M200 Smoky Quartz (Fine) - Iroshizuku Yama-budo

Lamy 2000 Ballpoint - Lamy Black Medium Refilll

16 minutes ago, Waverly said:

Thanks.  The 1911L had a broad nib, and I requested a Japanese medium cursive italic as it was a bit to wide for me.  I don't have a lot of experience with italic nibs, but this one seems to have nice line variation, is super smooth to write with, the ink flow from the nib is just right.  It is also pretty forgiving on the angle you hold the pen.

The turn around for the grind was about 10 weeks, but I am happy I had Mike do the work.  It was exactly what I was hoping for.  Hope you enjoy yours as well. 

Thanks much for the info. Hopefully he could get a fine italic out of the 1911L medium sized nib.

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

19 hours ago, Waverly said:

IMG_2296.jpg

Nice writer; nice writing, too!

Waterman Mysterious Blue has become one of my favourite inks -eventually.  I used to think it rather dull, but actually it is a very nice colour and noticeably undemanding, pen-wise.  Seems to be the perfect match for my dark blue Waterman Emblème.

On 8/3/2022 at 4:50 PM, OldTravelingShoe said:

TL;DR: I just returned from a trip to the Harz Mountains, Germany. For those who don't know, it's an area with many rolling hills and some mountains, beautiful nature and towns, and many man-made lakes (UNESCO Heritage). Was a blast, but with very limited digital access. Well, more time to try out pens in the wild. 

Figure 1 depicts one of the sketches, done with a Sailor (long-short) pocket pen from the 1970s, 21K fine, smooth nib with kind line variation, inked with Akkerman's Steenrood van Vermeer. It was at the end of the hardest ascent we did during this trip, so one more excuse for my amateur strokes. 

large.20220727_161909.jpg.6b7c733db2fb68e65724d2907954336d.jpg

Figure 1. The Brocken Peak in the Harz Mountains, Germany. 

Enjoy and glad to be back. I may post a few more of these sketches... pen of the day examples. 

Very pretty. Thanks much for sharing. 

Today while still doing some editing and idea scribbling on paper, while re-writing on the computer I've been using two pens.

A marbled brown/gold 200 Pelikan in EF. A standard sized pen.DSPqv6F.jpgand a standard sized 1959 Geha 790 with three true rings, in a slightly thinner EF that is also semi-flex.

Torpedo/cigar was In in the 1950-60's, among others, Swan, Plelikan 120&140, Geha 790*760 &780, and MB 146/9.

1959 version.

oWb4qI2.jpg

'60-72 790, to show how the three rings morphed into cheaper.WotaRYp.jpg

A couple of fine posters reported that the Osmia/Degussa nib used by Geha (and the fading Soennecken) were a tad better/more springy than the across town competition Pelikan. They were right.

Then I had four-five '50-65 Pelikans (got a couple more I think) and four Geha 790's and a 760..I tested the nibs against.

..Got a 780 that got to be used more. Some ten years into this addiction, someone had the absolute gall to show up here with at least two 780's. A pen I'd never even heard of, not in my pen books.

Took me a two or three years to run into one.

The first the red one someone with deep pockets won.Qcm6Uah.jpg

Didn't win this one either......:crybaby:Rolled gold.QG4SRYW.jpg

The green one I won.

5rhiDcF.jpg

But am using the '59 Geha 790.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

1 hour ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Today while still doing some editing and idea scribbling on paper, while re-writing on the computer I've been using two pens.

A marbled brown/gold 200 Pelikan in EF. A standard sized pen.DSPqv6F.jpgand a standard sized 1959 Geha 790 with three true rings, in a slightly thinner EF that is also semi-flex.

Torpedo/cigar was In in the 1950-60's, among others, Swan, Plelikan 120&140, Geha 790*760 &780, and MB 146/9.

1959 version.

oWb4qI2.jpg

A couple of fine posters reported that the Osmia/Degussa nib used by Geha (and the fading Soennecken) were a tad better/more springy than the across town competition Pelikan. They were right.

Then I had four-five '50-65 Pelikans (got a couple more I think) and four Geha 790's and a 760..I tested the nibs against.

..Got a 780 that got to be used more. Some ten years into this addiction, someone had the absolute gall to show up here with at least two 780's. A pen I'd never even heard of, not in my pen books.

The green one I won.

5rhiDcF.jpg

Great stuff from Bo Bo, as always.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

1959 version.

oWb4qI2.jpg

The green one I won.

5rhiDcF.jpg

Thanks for sharing, @Bo Bo Olson! Wonderful pens and nibs. I like very much the Geha line of the old, and you taught me something also about the 780. Many thanks. 

I'm happy, one should pass on the good stuff.

Geha in 790 is the best buy in semi-flex #@ E-60 or so, and the School pen is the best buy in regular flex/Japanese soft....now over E-19.

If you hunt in German Ebay, the school pen is possible at  e-19....not the $89 it's offered for in the Stateside market by the Buy Now Idiot dealers cartel.

One learns a little bit here, and a bit there form helpful folks.

And sometimes one actually wins..B)..if one won all the time it would be boring.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

4 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

A marbled brown/gold 200 Pelikan in EF. A standard sized pen.

I have the same pen!  Use mine often, though I originally bought the Golden Beryl ink to pair with it and I don't like them together - the ink is too gold and not brown enough.  Even though Pelikan calls this brown marbled, and they do make a model they call gold marbled, I think the pen looks gold.  Like the antique gold that probably used different alloys than modern gold.

Did you see I mentioned you in the CRV boards?

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

The flagship of the early 60's was the 760 (body wilder stripped than the Pelikan) with the gold piston cap band.....when it was no longer the flagship, it no longer had the gold piston cap band....guess which one I have.

The best of the Geha is the thin medium-long 725/735 (rolled gold cap.) The flagship...@'65-72 when Geha the office supply compnay shut down it's pen divsion.

It can be had cheap....E60-80-100......come in as flag ship in @ 1964/5 to stomp MB into a mud puddle, and IMO they did.

Very, very, sleek and classy and the couple of lines on the outside of the clip is great design.

Rolled gold furniture.

Only comes in F....is semi-flex. (A million years ago, I didn't get a spare M front section....never saw one again.)

Back when I was a 20 pen noobie I did a 20 pen balance test. First was s surprise, an MB 234 1/2 Deluxe semi-flex KOB. Some what thicker (not quite 600 width) than most standard sized pens and wasn't expecting it, in the end of the piston is brass so is a bit back weighted, when posted....but was best.

The 725 was second, 3rd the P-75, 4th the Pelikan 400nn.

Picture of the very fancy nib with permission of Penboard.de....never in my life could I make a picture so good.

WNJEM93.jpg

Pictures pirated....from folks that haven't complained yet.

3IrbiNa.jpg

clip I raved about for being classy.  There may  be a couple clips including one with out lines.

hZrR3oq.jpg

They had gone for E100 back when it was so out of my range.

England went to South Africa for the World Cup and or bet their shirts and lost. So I got the pen for E-50 from England.:D

A week later I saw two on German ebay go for E-25 a piece.:crybaby:

In they only come in black and gold I've not worried about them but saw some with in the last couple of years going for @E-60.........just looked two sold for, E-84 and E-101, so price has remained 'stable' and affordable fro great looks, balance and the finest looking semi-flex nib..

It helps to sit at the lip of the well when it comes to fountain pens. I do live in Germany.

A couple that haven't been inked for a while ...

08-10.jpg.7c5791dd219adb08cd547125dda4b6ab.jpg

What have you done with the cat? It looks half dead.

~ Schrödinger's wife

12 hours ago, essayfaire said:

I have the same pen!  Use mine often, though I originally bought the Golden Beryl ink to pair with it and I don't like them together - the ink is too gold and not brown enough.  Even though Pelikan calls this brown marbled, and they do make a model they call gold marbled, I think the pen looks gold.  Like the antique gold that probably used different alloys than modern gold.

Did you see I mentioned you in the CRV boards?

I am pretty certain that Pelikan did have a gold marbled M200 a while back. IA little research when I can will probably turn up some images or links for posting. Here is a quick link to one on the Bay" Gold marble M200

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

They did.  I actually prefer the brown marbled, which to me is golden.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence