What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

Enjoying my recently acquired MB 146C a lot. Every day I discover something else that it can do for me. Other than that one, I’ve inked up an old Sheaffer PFM-III and it’s just so nice. And of course the three gems I picked up at the Dutch Pen Show last weekend: a Kaweco V10 with super-soft 14k OM nib, a Pelikan 140 with semi-flex OB nib and a MB 144 OM. All of those are just so much fun.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• OldTravelingShoe

• Misfit

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A dark green Pilot Fermo with a fine 18K nib.

Pen(s) in Rotation:

Majohn A1 (Extra-Fine) - Diamine Denim

Pelikan M200 Smoky Quartz (Fine) - Iroshizuku Yama-budo

Lamy 2000 Ballpoint - Lamy Black Medium Refilll

pen in use today is a black and gold trim Aurora 88 BIG with a long tines nib (dating in the 90s).

(it's not a flex nib but certainly not as stiff as regular nibs on Modern 88s and Optimas.)

large.713486622_P1200400-3Aurora88BIGblackgoldtrimlongtines.jpg.c5248ffd0742e507bb97026d2930abd9.jpg

This is Pilot Kawa Tokage, 18K Fine inked with Pilot Iroshizuku sui-gyoku

I really like its colors, dark green against black back ground with green section, unfortunately the picture does not do it justice.

It came to me with the paired pen sleeve. According to FPoJ, it first came out in 1975. (page 243)

( I did not dare open this baby up to check the date code...)

large.IMG_0304.jpeg.e9abe141d9c02a4c41b595470d1edd42.jpeg

Please check out my shop on Etsy - Sleepy Turandot

1 hour ago, Chi said:

I really like its colors, dark green against black back ground with green section, unfortunately the picture does not do it justice.

It came to me with the paired pen sleeve. According to FPoJ, it first came out in 1975. (page 243)

Oh, my! What a wonderful handwriting, I'm stunned!

2 hours ago, Chi said:

How handsome! It looks like snakeskin; is it, or is it patterned to have that appearance?  I've never seen anything like it.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

27 minutes ago, essayfaire said:

How handsome! It looks like snakeskin; is it, or is it patterned to have that appearance?  I've never seen anything like it.

It is lizard skin : ))) The same series has alternative color which is all black. Later, in the 90s (I think?!) they make a series of lizard skin with pure one version.

5 minutes ago, Chi said:

It is lizard skin : ))) The same series has alternative color which is all black. Later, in the 90s (I think?!) they make a series of lizard skin with pure one version.

Very cool.  I loved textured leathers. Enjoy it!

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

3 hours ago, mtcn77 said:

Oh, my! What a wonderful handwriting, I'm stunned!

thank you very much : ) I enjoy writing a lot, getting a lot of practice.

1 hour ago, essayfaire said:

Very cool.  I loved textured leathers. Enjoy it!

Thank you :))

large.20220618_PenCheck.JPG.fe31547460f13a1e913bb1dcef7afe6c.JPG

Today's pen check -

• America - Waterman 5 - almost drained Waterman's Serenity (misaligned flex) - Sheer pleasure despite misalignment
  • China - PenBBS 355 - a novel full left Pilot Blue Black (M round) - smooth workhorse
  • Germany - Montblanc 146 - almost drained MB Amethyst Purple (wet broad stub) - overly generous from the split ebonite feed
  • Italy - Pineider Avatar UR Deluxe (Fine Quill) - Athena Eternal Blue, probably switch back to KWZ IG Aztec Gold, Bungubako influenced recent acquire, surprisingly perfect body balance, magnetic closure and Quill Nib!

Franklin Christoph 02, 1.1 cursive italic nib. Inked with Diamine Blue Black.

1578846422_PXL_20220619_0855335592.thumb.jpg.eb9fe091b1a70924d4250018771ba9cb.jpg

My trusty little 140 with MV Sapphire and my new Parker 180 Flighter with Bleu de Profondeurs.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

18 hours ago, Chi said:

That is a fantastic Pen / ink combination - I love both, thanks for sharing @Chi

My journal pen today is a Pilot Pocket pen. I don't know the model name, but among my little collection it is unmistakable because the poor thing has had a difficult life. Mostly noticeable in little unimportant cosmetic things, but I should have examined the vendor's photos of the nib more carefully... because part of the feed is missing. (I do remember I was excited by the curve on the nib thinking it might be a Posting nib and still think it might be.) And yet it still writes very well and makes me think of the children's story about the Little Engine That Could. :wub:

I think this one became an instant favourite because it isn't perfect. And I love the tiny nib peeking out from under the hood.

It is inked with a Pilot Blue Black cartridge.

large.PilotFavourite_3.jpg.cc1b8c7fc57202c9d91f3e9408943c9e.jpg

large.PilotFavourite_2.jpg.6faf76573bed5058ceb646247f5b858d.jpg

large.PilotFavourite_1.jpg.eae1a14aa31137e52bf33fe390c07b4a.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

While it certainly isn't the most attractive pen around, I just started using this Lamy CP1. I actually bought it a long time ago, used it a few times without knowing what I was doing (poor paper, poor technique) and put it away, forgetting about it. I decided to start writing more and remembered I had this. I found it dirty, with an old, dry cartridge still attached. I bought some Lamy T52 and a converter, cleaned it up, and I've been loving it. The nib looks a bit gross.. I dropped it in some very hot water from the hot tap and it came out slightly discolored. It writes beautifully, so no big deal.

The last few days, I've been going down the FP rabbit hole. There are so many I want... so much to learn.. I already do this with watches and pipes, so I'm sure the wife will just love my new hobby...

cp1.thumb.jpg.f93f7f95b17c623d7e78a67bd222cabe.jpg

Today it's been the Parker Eversharp (a 45 clone/hybrid), M nib with diluted Kobe Suma Beach Blue.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

11 hours ago, steerpike said:

While it certainly isn't the most attractive pen around, I just started using this Lamy CP1. I actually bought it a long time ago, used it a few times without knowing what I was doing (poor paper, poor technique) and put it away, forgetting about it. I decided to start writing more and remembered I had this. I found it dirty, with an old, dry cartridge still attached. I bought some Lamy T52 and a converter, cleaned it up, and I've been loving it. The nib looks a bit gross.. I dropped it in some very hot water from the hot tap and it came out slightly discolored. It writes beautifully, so no big deal.

The last few days, I've been going down the FP rabbit hole. There are so many I want... so much to learn.. I already do this with watches and pipes, so I'm sure the wife will just love my new hobby...

cp1.thumb.jpg.f93f7f95b17c623d7e78a67bd222cabe.jpg

You're okay. 

(If you're not okay, then I'm really not okay..)

You're okay...

the Danitrio Fellowship

large.2142342188_MattblackMoonmanA1withclipontopofwritingsamplesheet.jpg.2d5f7dcb44dbbf6f773e442ce0ae6d7a.jpg

large.222739063_MoonmanA1EFnibwritingsampleinPelikan4001Blue-Black.jpg.bc4f719664e09622c96a585fc5e705ae.jpg

Coupled with a dry-flowing ink, I guess this EF nib does not perform so poorly after all (and after some initial physical adjustment of the tines by me); and I am suitably impressed by the pen's sealing effectiveness.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

1 hour ago, A Smug Dill said:

Coupled with a dry-flowing ink, I guess this EF nib does not perform so poorly after all (and after some initial physical adjustment of the tines by me); and I am suitably impressed by the pen's sealing effectiveness.

I'm getting tempted. The sealing is very encouraging. Why did it need a dry flowing ink?

Will work for pens... :unsure:

4 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

Why did it need a dry flowing ink?

Judging by the comments made by others online, the EF nib supplied with the Majohn A1 (which, by the way, bears the name Moonman instead on both the pen body and the nib of the unit that I have) by default writes more like an F if not an M nib. I found the line width way too broad for me, especially when used with an ink such as Platinum Carbon Black; and after some necessary adjustment of the tines, it still needed further taming.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.