What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

4 minutes ago, IThinkIHaveAProblem said:

My guess was gonna be; “because it’s a perfectly serviceable clone of a “51” that can be taken out of the home without worrying about loss or damage”

That's a good reason too!👍

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• OldTravelingShoe

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

Today I thought I'd fill my Parker 51 Aerometric as I hadn't used it for a while. It was lovely to use until I realised that the sac in the filler must have had a whole and the ink leaked into the barrel and out of the small hole at the back. Oh well, another addition to the the box of pens that need repairs.

Back to the Conway Steward 58 with Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black and a Lamy Safari with Noodler's Ottoman Rose for colour.

11 hours ago, Gloucesterman said:

Diversity would be my guess.

Not being sarcastic...

Quite right.  That 616 was my daily carry for years.  It was always inked with Quink Permanent Black.  On a whim I inked it for nostalgic comparison.  It writes quite nicely.

Cliff

“The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.”  John Adams

10 hours ago, IThinkIHaveAProblem said:

My guess was gonna be; “because it’s a perfectly serviceable clone of a “51” that can be taken out of the home without worrying about loss or damage”

Yes.  And I am quite impressed with it today even though I own and use 6 "51s".  I actually used to get complements on it.  It's a composite pen using the standard stainless steel cap but then using the clip and tassie screw from a gold tone cap.

Cliff

“The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.”  John Adams

2 hours ago, Bristol24 said:

Yes.  And I am quite impressed with it today even though I own and use 6 "51s".  I actually used to get complements on it.  It's a composite pen using the standard stainless steel cap but then using the clip and tassie screw from a gold tone cap.

Cliff

I own well over a dozen “51”s and yet my most used/daily pen is a wing sung 601 demonstrator with an aftermarket nib. (I also recently got a 616 and i find it perfectly acceptable)

You should post a pic of your 616. :)

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

Someone in my local pen club ordered a ten or twelve pack of Hero 616s on eBay or  Amazon a few years ago and gave them out to anyone who wanted.  And truthfully? I'm not convince that it isn't a fake of a 616!  
It writes okay -- but also writes like it's worth a buck -- which I think is roughly what the guy handing them out probably paid for each one.  

Of course I'm the person who brought my most expensive pen (the Pelikan M405 Stresesmann) with me when I went camping a few years ago and almost lost it.... :blush:  Fortunately, it got turned into Lost and Found at the event.  (Mind you, I also was in a similar panic when I misplaced my first "good" pen -- a Parker Vector -- in my house and didn't find it for nearly a year....)

But I take my 51s out of the house on a regular basis if one of them is inked up at the moment (and took the Plum Demi -- my favorite pen -- with me on a trip out to a family wedding outside of Seattle a few years ago, along with three other pens).  What DOESN'T leave the house any more is the first Morrison I ever bought -- a gold-filled filigree overlay ringtop with a lovely springy stub nib.  That pen has a really nasty habit of unscrewing itself from the cap while I've got it on the lanyard....  And I've almost lost the main part of it several times (including three times in the space of a day and a half) as a result... and I paid MORE for that pen than I did for the Plum Demi 51..... 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Today's pen is a laminated green pearl Parker Vacumatic Major with a 35-coded Duofold broad oblique nib, filled with Quink black ink.

Guest appearances from my medium-nib translucent brown Wing Sung 699 (Quink blue), and transparent TWSBI Diamond 580 with 1.1mm stub (TWSBI black).

On 9/14/2022 at 5:14 AM, Gloucesterman said:

Love the color on the purplish pen,

It even glows in black light!  It's the ribbon material from Mutt Blanks.

PXL_20220203_000510675.thumb.jpg.52e85a4d636f409f5728852df233c867.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

4 hours ago, lionelc said:

MB L139G with an OB nib, got lucky with the nib, whoever used it last has about the same writing angle as myself.

NICE! I'd love to see it in use.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

On 9/14/2022 at 11:48 AM, essayfaire said:

What's the one on the far right? Hinze?

Yes, I'm happy with his work and the material is from Mutt Blanks (also in Texas).

Friday's a day for less-often-used pens, so today's pens will be a medium-nibbed Pelikan Level L5 and an Opus 88 Koloro with the 1.4mm stub.

11 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

It even glows in black light!  It's the ribbon material from Mutt Blanks.

PXL_20220203_000510675.thumb.jpg.52e85a4d636f409f5728852df233c867.jpg

that is very cool

16 hours ago, lionelc said:

MB L139G with an OB nib, got lucky with the nib, whoever used it last has about the same writing angle as myself.

Nice Lionel, 'well jel' of that and agree that a photo is required! 

Last night, i used 2 M300s and 2 Stipula inks, Musk Green in the green-striped and Saffron in the orange marble. I'd forgotten that Saffron is actually pretty readable on white paper.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I used many pens today, practicing italic calligraphy. The new member of the "team" is an Edison Comet. I was attracted to this model's size and form from its first appearance. It was just added to Edison's "Production" pens, sold through retailers, and in a very handsome resin, Edison calls "Brandywine." The material appears to be the same resin Franklin-Christoph has used and calls "Cathedral." 

The Comet model has a very tapered barrel. It posts deeply and firmly. It has a smooth yet crisp-writing 1.1mm JoWo Steel Stub nib. I'm liking this pen even more than I expected to.

619118103_EdisonComet.jpg.3a942d2b6b16508ae372c30a9467c424.jpg

870036675_EdisonCometposted.jpg.cfdbeb91ed17b80cbe602187befa1191.jpg

David

@dms525You sure have a lot of beautiful pens that match your beautiful writing!  I love your new Edison Comet.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

34 minutes ago, Sinistral1 said:

@dms525You sure have a lot of beautiful pens that match your beautiful writing!  I love your new Edison Comet.

Thank you for your kind words.

David