What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

Today's notations have been, and are being, made with a CS broad nib Churchill.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• OldTravelingShoe

• Misfit

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, ParramattaPaul said:

Today's notations have been, and are being, made with a CS broad nib Churchill.

You seem to like that pen!  I believe it shows up on this thread pretty regularly. ;)

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

8 minutes ago, essayfaire said:

You seem to like that pen!  I believe it shows up on this thread pretty regularly. ;)

I do like it, and yes, it is frequently used.

There are five inked pens on my desk.  Two are Onotos and three are Conway Stewarts.  They and the Gravitas pen that I EDC are the pens I use almost all of the time.  With that, they appear here on a regular basis.

I would guess probably a Fine point by MB standards but of course there are variances from nib to nib in factory grinds.

11 hours ago, BlueJ said:

I would guess probably a Fine point by MB standards but of course there are variances from nib to nib in factory grinds.

Could be a Fine. 👍

It's a good writer, whatever it is.

On 4/16/2022 at 7:40 AM, lionelc said:

you have a better eye for sales than me, what do you think of pensachi's current easter sale?

On 4/16/2022 at 9:27 AM, A Smug Dill said:

Frankly, it is not worthy of my attention.

The last time I placed an order with PenSachi, it was during a promotion in which you'd get 7% off a Pilot (and, if I'm not mistaken, Sailor was also an eligible brand) pen with the application of a discount code, but 15% off (automatically applied without the use of a code,

Once again, now.

p.s. And now I see that I still can't use the free shipping ‘reward’ that was redeemed using points. PenSachi's whole loyalty rewards programme is worthless ink crud, then, when none of the benefits can be used buying whatever is on offer on special promotion.

Edited by A Smug Dill
added postscript

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Today I'm using a Jinhao x450, EF nib, with Noodlers Red Black. The pen is a little heavy but writes smoothly. I was able to repair the loose cap after viewing an online tutorial and found a Jinhao branded EF nib from a seller in China. It's now one of my favorite pens.

Today, it was the turn of this eeny-meeny teeny-tiny white Diplomat Butterfly. It doesn't hold a whole lot of ink (using a Sailor Chalana converter, which fits perfectly) but it's fun to write with a doll's pen every now and then 😁

large.27A80916-B64C-4EEA-B007-044E1887866D.JPEG.69c61188346322d83d24ba1bd051dda7.JPEG

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

28 minutes ago, DvdRiet said:

Today, it was the turn of this eeny-meeny teeny-tiny white Diplomat Butterfly. It doesn't hold a whole lot of ink (using a Sailor Chalana converter, which fits perfectly) but it's fun to write with a doll's pen every now and then 😁

large.27A80916-B64C-4EEA-B007-044E1887866D.JPEG.69c61188346322d83d24ba1bd051dda7.JPEG

I used the equally skinny Kaweco Special that lives on my bedside table to write a reminder note just a few hours ago.  Today's pen choice though is my Onoto Scholar.

1 hour ago, ParramattaPaul said:

I used the equally skinny Kaweco Special that lives on my bedside table to write a reminder note just a few hours ago.  Today's pen choice though is my Onoto Scholar.

That sounds like a pretty big size difference - those Scholars are not small pens, correct?

But I think you have to think even smaller for the Butterfly! It is truly ultra-slim. I had to look up the Special, but if it's the thin hexagonal model I found, it's still quite a bit bigger than this one. The Butterfly is skinnier than the thin Travellers, as you can see next to a flame one below, and it is too thin for a standard cartridge or converter. I don't know if it's the same size as the Sailor Chalana, but it must be awfully close if the tiny converters fit. Anyway, it is as they say, smol. :)

large.079FD7B8-62AC-45BB-AEE9-4F649BDC6857.JPEG.2f81979007f3fa456f5f09c4aa8345d2.JPEG

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

@Vintage_BEYes! The Pelican school pens are fantastic, they have a more ball-shaped tip so are more tolerant of a variety of angles. In the Pelikano Junior pens this feature is even more pronounced.  Lamy makes a "K" for Kugel nib that is similar. 

We keep a Pelikano Junior pen that I've converted to an eye-dropper on the kitchen table and use it daily for the crossword, lists, etc.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

2 hours ago, OCArt said:

@Vintage_BEYes! The Pelican school pens are fantastic, they have a more ball-shaped tip so are more tolerant of a variety of angles. In the Pelikano Junior pens this feature is even more pronounced.  Lamy makes a "K" for Kugel nib that is similar. 

We keep a Pelikano Junior pen that I've converted to an eye-dropper on the kitchen table and use it daily for the crossword, lists, etc.

We have Lamy Safari’s on our kitchen table. The Pelikano’s are no longer made so I am a bit protective of the one that survived 😄

7 hours ago, Vintage_BE said:

… and a humble Pelikano. Great writer. 

AB0F1B85-FA82-4084-8713-072B37995029.jpeg

That's how I ended up with some Esties! But instead of them having been mine, they had been hers.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

15 hours ago, Vintage_BE said:

A TWSBI with a “ flex” (in reality: soft-feel) fine Fountain Pen Revolution #5 nib.

F351F950-FD73-4A6A-9168-4E81678CCF38.jpeg

Beautiful penmanship!!!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY