What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

Franklin Christoph 03, with an M cursive italic nib. Inked with Diamine Blue Black.

468007732_PXL_20220619_0854450072.thumb.jpg.ebf01a3190718d220f201c217733c419.jpg

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• OldTravelingShoe

• Misfit

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From left to right:

1940s Wearever celluloid w/ Campo Marzio bloody red

1940s Avon celluloid w/ Parker Quink black

Yong Sheng 3009 w/  1.5 mm italic nib w/ Private Reserve tanzanite

Asvine w/ Private Reserve shoreline gold

Majohn/Moon Man A1 w/ J. Herbin bleue pervenche

Pilot Plumix 1.1 mm italic w/ Pilot green cartridge 

1950s Wings advertising MP w/ 2B lead

1920s Wahl Eversharp MP w/ HB lead

1920s Wahl Eversharp MP  w/ H lead

Rotring Tikky eraser

writing equipment 20-jun-22.jpg

13 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Coupled with a dry-flowing ink, I guess this EF nib does not perform so poorly after all (and after some initial physical adjustment of the tines by me); and I am suitably impressed by the pen's sealing effectiveness.

I was about to ask what you thought of the nib's performance, as we've established I adore retractables, but it sounds as if you're not exactly thrilled.  Do you mean to imply it writes more like a Japanese F/M or a European one?

And I am humbled each time you post one of these assessment pages.  Thank you for sharing them.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

11 minutes ago, essayfaire said:

… it sounds as if you're not exactly thrilled.

On 1/1/2022 at 3:45 PM, A Smug Dill said:

The Pilot Capless rhodium-plated 18K gold EF nib I have here lays down lines of ~0.2mm wide ...‹snip›... 

By the time I finally got [my Majohn A1] working and writing (smoothly) using the same converter and fill of ink, and on the same sheet of paper, lays down lines of ~0.35mm wide. The tines were pressed really tightly together out-of-the-box, ...‹snip›...

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/363576-majohn-a1-a-capless-clone/?do=findComment&comment=4496819

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Today I inked up this Platignum I found in a store for $1 like 15 years ago. I bought some old Platignum cartridges in February when I saw them randomly. They don’t fit, but Sailor cartridges do. Now I guess I need to find a Platignum that takes those cartridges. 

8F9FBD52-19A0-4260-A91F-3A7BD7404834.jpeg

Top 5 of 23 currently inked pens:

Namiki Origami Tradition maki-e Penguin F, Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

Sailor X Sakazaki Penguin Pro Gear Slim MF, Sailor Manyo Konagi

Lamy 2000 EF, Diamine Purple Bow

Platinum Hibiscus SF short-long, Platinum Green

Indigo Bronze TWSBI Eco 1.1 Stub, De Atramentis Columbia Blue-Copper 

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

44 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

Today I inked up this Platignum I found in a store for $1 like 15 years ago. I bought some old Platignum cartridges in February when I saw them randomly. They don’t fit, but Sailor cartridges do. Now I guess I need to find a Platignum that takes those cartridges. 

8F9FBD52-19A0-4260-A91F-3A7BD7404834.jpeg

That is one fine looking nib and lovely grip section.

Thank you! 

Top 5 of 23 currently inked pens:

Namiki Origami Tradition maki-e Penguin F, Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

Sailor X Sakazaki Penguin Pro Gear Slim MF, Sailor Manyo Konagi

Lamy 2000 EF, Diamine Purple Bow

Platinum Hibiscus SF short-long, Platinum Green

Indigo Bronze TWSBI Eco 1.1 Stub, De Atramentis Columbia Blue-Copper 

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

Today's journal pen is a Platinum pocket pen - a very pretty teal green with a fine nib. The ink is Platinum Black. I did try two inks in a similar colour to the pen - Van Dieman's Blackened Seas and a cartridge of Platinum Light Blue - but both were too pale from the fine nib, so black it is for now.

large.PlatinumTeal.jpg.d0f66e86226c2d748d2aa33487c0e7d3.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Left to right:

Delta Profili

Aurora 98GL Riserva Magica

Pilot Custom 823

Parker Duofold International (MkII)

Sheaffer Imperial 834

Waterman 52 1/2 V

and huge Japanese Jumbo-pen. 

AF6C6D34-A9B6-4CD6-997B-C7DC9E5B12E0.jpeg

@Vintage_BEYou have beautiful handwriting!

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

4 hours ago, Tashi_Tsering said:

Left to right:

Delta Profili

Aurora 98GL Riserva Magica

Pilot Custom 823

Parker Duofold International (MkII)

Sheaffer Imperial 834

Waterman 52 1/2 V

and huge Japanese Jumbo-pen. 

AF6C6D34-A9B6-4CD6-997B-C7DC9E5B12E0.jpeg

Liking that Waterman.

2 hours ago, Vintage_BE said:

An FPR Himalaya to which I transplanted a Noodlers ’Ahab’ nib. 

05352CDC-E208-428A-B4BB-4D2E946823BC.jpeg

Yep, that's a fine hand.  

Rounding out my Franklin Christoph pens, a #66, with a B cursive italic. Inked with Diamine Blue Black.

1533150111_22_06.21FranklinChristoph66.Broadcursiveitalicnib_723.thumb.jpg.e7e26aba9dca07d55f773e157c7d07ce.jpg

Today's journal pen is a fine nib TWSBI Eco Cement Grey filled with R&K SketchInk Thea.

large.TWSBIEco_CementGrey_SketchInkThea.jpg.be61893a982cf75728f6162f8002f4aa.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Today, a Platinum 3776, with a lovely SF nib. It's inked with Diamine Blue Black.

179968971_22_06.22Platinum3776.SFnib_499.thumb.jpg.52f45ed3c4da0b03454fd08b76bd5ccd.jpg

Picasso 902, medium GP nib, Pilot blue-black

Lamy Studio piano black, fine 14K nib, Pilot blue-black (My dependent condition hasn't yet advanced to the stage of collecting inks too.)

The Picasso (or is it Pimio as the cap finial is marked?) is decorated with Pablo's "Le Rêve" on the cap, the clip, and the nib.

I don't care for all Lamys. But the clean, solid lines of the Studio, and my latest acquisition the Scala in glacier blue, I find very attractive.

PicassoLamy1.jpg

PicassoLamy2.jpg

3 minutes ago, Arthur Pewty said:

Picasso 902, medium GP nib, Pilot blue-black

Lamy Studio piano black, fine 14K nib, Pilot blue-black (My dependent condition hasn't yet advanced to the stage of collecting inks too.)

The Picasso (or is it Pimio as the cap finial is marked?) is decorated with Pablo's "Le Rêve" on the cap, the clip, and the nib.

I don't care for all Lamys. But the clean, solid lines of the Studio, and my latest acquisition the Scala in glacier blue, I find very attractive.

PicassoLamy1.jpg

PicassoLamy2.jpg

I agree, the Studios look as if some other company designed it. There is nothing cheap about that pen design.

Black Esterbrook LJ with a 2668 Firm Medium loaded up with Noodler's Berning Red, and a transparent green Sheaffer Cartridge converted to eyedropper with the 304 Fine and Diamine Shimmering Seas.

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."

--Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

My Flickr, if you're interested