What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

I'm sorta using my new Majohn A1 (clone of Pilot Capless Vanishing Point) today. Or, more like fixing it, so that it would actually write.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• OldTravelingShoe

• Misfit

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, Amanda. Is that a semi-permanent pairing of pen and ink? They seem a good match.

I remember you asked about getting a genuine Moonman. Well, the matt black Majohn A1 with a clip is branded Moonman, both on the barrel and on the nib. However, it's “less good” of a pen than I was hoping.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

20 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Is that a semi-permanent pairing of pen and ink? They seem a good match.

It is, because it's going to take ages to use that much ink. Only this morning I was thinking a slightly darker green such as Diamine Evergreen might be easier to read on the page and still look good with the pen. I have plenty of time to think about it. These pens are tanks. Nice tanks, but still tanks. Indeed it might be acquiring a brown companion if I can find one with an EF nib. Crazy to think how long a fill would last then. B)

20 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

I remember you asked about getting a genuine Moonman. Well, the matt black Majohn A1 with a clip is branded Moonman, both on the barrel and on the nib.

Good to know. I'm still feeling burnt after getting a Q1 that showed Moonman branding in the listing, but was sent Majohn.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

I'm entering the new year with my Gravitas Entry re-inked with Diamine Tudor Blue ink for a festive look.

Happy New Year everyone! Wish you health, prosperity and nice pens. Regarding Dill’s question, I’ve mainly been using these three pens:

• ‘50s Parker Vacumatic Jr with needlepoint flex nib, inked with P4001 Brilliant Black.
  • Nondescript ‘50s piston filler with soft 14k Degussa nib. Line width like a Japanse EF, but nicer. Inked with Diamine Majestic Blue.
  • Visconti H.S. Lava Bronze with 18k F nib customized to mini-stub by Anabelle, inked with KWZ Old Gold.

My pen choice for the day has turned out to be a bit like the whole last year (ermm, two years) in general: a mess! 

I've been trying to find a pen today that works with a rather persnickety ink and not having much luck. Here are the pens I have tried to use with it so far today:

large.IMG_2346.JPG.01a4cf995fdfea1736f918dc392302da.JPG

Anyone want to venture a guess as to which one I have settled on (I think...) for today? LOL And now if you'll excuse me, I have some pens to flush...

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

MB 149 14c F nib and Pelikan M800 18c F nib. Both filled with MB blue.

Since retiring 12.5 years ago, I have hardly used my fountain pens. Over the holidays, I started the process of deciding which pens to keep and which should go. And of course, I'm hooked all over again! Some will still go as my collection is too large to fully enjoy. Some very nice pens will soon be entering the marketplace for others to enjoy.20220101_064307.thumb.jpg.62693ace5e2e3a78092ce938614afb7d.jpg

3 hours ago, DvdRiet said:

venture a guess

I bet it's one of the ones that are capped!

I'm using a Pelikan M215 today, inked with Koh-i-Noor document black. Need to doodle a lot with it because I don't like the red sheen that the ink gives and also don't want to "waste" the ink. If anyone wants it the ink (50g minus a piston fill) I'd be willing to send it for free.

Edited by agaric

MB 146 with Aurora Black

Sailor 1911L with Sailor Black

Happy New Year!

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”  Alan Greenspan

11 minutes ago, agaric said:

I bet it's one of the ones that are capped!

Good guess! 😜 But even that still turned out messy. I tried the ink diluted in the black striped Optimist but that just made it bleed and feather on even more types of paper. So I abandoned it but hadn't dumped it out yet. At that point I gave up on using the ink entirely and moved to my next rotation ink - a nice reliable Herbin ink in the black Monza at the bottom. It was, however, out of ink after just one paragraph in my journal. So, I decided I would take the burgundy and gold Maserati in the middle out for a drive instead of dealing with flushing all those pens!

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

Kaweco Classic Sport navy F with Kaweco Royal Blue

MB 32 F with Pilot ioshizuku kiri-same 

I've got two FPs I'm using today. One is an old Noodler's slim piston-filler. It's like the ones they still sell that have flex nibs (and that they call the Nib Creaper), but it has a non-flex nib and different feed. It's from before Noodler's offered flex nibs. It's filled with Gate City Everflo True Blue ink.

The second pen is a piston-fill Bexley Poseidon Magnum (II?) demonstrator that I got from Howard some years ago. It was a prototype color/material combo that never made it into production. It's filled with a Sheaffer green ink from China that I got from Sam and Frank Fiorella. (The color is nice, but it's otherwise a rather unremarkable ink and I probably wouldn't buy more if it were available.)

I'm also using a Caran d'Ache Fixpencil 2mm leadholder with a Mitsubishi 2mm F lead. Just regular graphite pencil "lead," not colored lead.

The eraser is a trusty old Pentel Hi-Polymer block eraser.

Some of the paper is some sort of copier paper that came printed from work and I'm adding notes and comments. My notes are being taken on a Staples Sustainable Earth cabasse letter-size pad. (I still have several left, but I'm running out and need to find some other kind of note pad. I do like Clairefontaine, but ink takes longer to dry on it and it gets all over my hand since I'm a southpaw. I have to be very careful when writing on Clairfontaine or Rhodia pads or notebooks, and that isn't conducive to free-flowing notes when I'm brainstorming stuff.)

Happy New Year everyone!

image.png.77d9b05790d4405a3001d5947b67fe90.png

All pens inked today except for the Kaweko... which I honestly forgot was still inked and will be set out of rotation after I finish the ink.  

The Aurora is for italic practice.  The M600 for regular writing and work.  The Amber m400 for journal writing.  And the Emperor for correspondences.  

Laban 325, 1.5 stub nib, with Diamine's Harmony (Inkvent Day 5)

Lamy Safari, 1.5 italic nib, with Diamine's Festive Joy (Inkvent Day 19)

明けまして おめでとうございます。(Happy new year.)

A black version of this.

Very light and convenient.

My way of holding this pen is, place the pen on the back of the middle finger, pinch it with your index finger, and hold the tip of the pen with your thumb at the base of your index finger.

I have another one so that I don't touch the touch panel directly with my finger when I go out.

三菱鉛筆 uni ジェットストリームスタイラス単色 SXNT82-350-07P74 Pink Gold https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0714JMT2L/ref

This is the real writing instrument of mine today.

タチカワ 新ペン先 スクールGA ブラック 線幅0.2~0.5mm https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00MNMD9ZG/ref

It's like a G-pen and the nib (and the pen itself) is disposable, but it gives me a very enjoyable writing feel.

No matter how hard you put it, the cap will not post.

Edited by Number99
Link correction .

Opus 99 mini, broad nib, with Diamine's Black Ivy

Levenger True Writer, medium, with Diamine's Yuletide (both Inkvent)

Today it was the Sailor 1911S Loch Ness Monster, MF nib, newly re-inked for 2022 with old version Sailor Jentle Sky High.  Had forgotten how much I liked that ink.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."