Waterman's C/F Fountain Pen

donnweinberg

I was fascinated by the recent article, Waterman's Almost Forgotten C/F Cartridge-Fill Fountain Pen, in the most recent issue (Volume 7, Issue 1) of Paul's Fountain Pen Journal.  I would direct you to the article's rendition of the history of the pen and its great photos of the pen and advertisements for the pen from the past.  I won't repeat its information here.  I was stimulated by the article to hunt on Ebay for this pen.  There are many examples of this pen offered on Ebay, both from American and International sellers.  I now have purchased three of the pens in different colors, have bid on another, and have purchased perhaps a one-of-a-kind display box of 12 different C/F nibs-in-sections for this type of pen.  I wanted to share some photos I've taken today.

The C/F I already received is this one, which has a gold-plated cap and reddish-brown barrel.  It came with all its papers and a box of 8 cartridges, the ink in which mostly has evaporated, plus a "place-keeper" empty cartridge.  I substituted a "broad-flex" nib-and-section (from the 12 nibs) for the one that came with the pen originally.  I cleaned out two of the formerly filled cartridges, and then filled one with Diamine Monboddos Hat (dark purple) ink.  Wow!  The pen wrote immediately and was very smooth in its first "outing."  We'll see how it performs over time.  

I would welcome any experiences or comments others have about this pen.

C:F Brown - with all included.jpeg

C:F Brown - Pen disassembled.jpeg

C:F - 12 nibs in box - close-up.jpeg

C:F writing sample with Broad-Flex nib.jpeg

C:F Brown - Cartridge Box closed.jpeg

C:F Brown - Instructions side A.jpeg

C:F Brown - Order Envelope side A.jpeg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• donnweinberg

• Olya

• OldTravelingShoe

• sansenri

I forgot to mention that there did exist an aerometric (squeeze) converter for the C/F, although I did not obtain one with the one C/F I've gotten so far.  Some Ebay sellers, when they have one, include the converter with the pen.  I don't know whether the modern Waterman converter fits the C/F.  Even if it doesn't and one doesn't have the C/F converter, one can fill an empty cartridge with a syringe using any ink one chooses, provided one has at least a single C/F cartridge.

I have one C/F and it is a very good writer. Converters are available still, including at Amazon, eBay, and Pen Boutique. They are a bit pricey, for a converter, but I don't believe they are made new any more. 

Possibly an excess of caution, but I have taken to storing the converter outside of the pen when the pen is cleaned out and not in use, due to the metal content and fear of corrosion. 

In my limited experience, modern Waterman cartridges do fit old pens, which took the c/f style cartridges.

The c/f was a very beautiful pen, pity about the corrosion problems.

My Favourite Watermans are those starting with the c/f and the later French pens (such as the Concorde etc), even though the majority seems to favour the older American Watermans with flex nibs.

I saw a picture of Maria Callas writing with a c/f (and another with a Parker 61)!

Thanks, Olya, regarding whether modern Waterman cartridges (and converters?) fit the C/F and other older Waterman pens.  I'm going to test that out on my next C/F; I'll try fitting a modern Waterman converter to the C/F (not sure whether I have modern Waterman cartridges, though). 

A nice pen, perhaps smallish by today's standards. Still worth having one. The nib, by Waterman's usual standard, is very smooth.

Here is mine

large.1719228457_P1200383-3WatermanCF.jpg.b572f34a50b047eb95e1f49081fca15b.jpg

large.459334938_P1200385-3WatermanCF.jpg.2d6c91360053a0f471bee87e1ba897ff.jpg

If I'm not mistaken someone here on FPN has an extensive collection of these in a number of different finishes.

28 minutes ago, donnweinberg said:

Thanks, Olya, regarding whether modern Waterman cartridges (and converters?) fit the C/F and other older Waterman pens.  I'm going to test that out on my next C/F; I'll try fitting a modern Waterman converter to the C/F (not sure whether I have modern Waterman cartridges, though). 

You're welcome!

Converters are always a bit different, because they can be too thick sometimes, the nipple fits, but the body can't be screwed on.... Hope it works!

If the long cartridges don't fit (due to length), the short ones should fit, I'd be surprised if they didn't.

I read that when Waterman switched to the standard international format, they made the tip in such a way, that their old pens could take the new format.

Which is great, but sometimes in spite of a standardized format, these don't always fit every pen (eg I read that Montblancs only fit MB's carts, not Waterman's or Pelikan's), which kinda defeats the purpose....

Report back once you've tried modern Waterman products (ie carts and conv) in the c/f! ☺️

I just received another C/F from an Ebay purchase.  This one also has a matching mechanical pencil.  Here, we have stainless steel caps and nib.  I have the option of using another nib-section on it if I wish, from the sample box of twelve I pictured in the first post.  Here are some of the photos I just took of this "green set."

C:F SS & Green 01.jpeg

C:F SS & Green 03 - FP & Pencil capped.jpeg

C:F SS & Green 04 - FP disassembled w cartridge.jpeg

Olya, I'll surely let you all know what I find trying to fit a modern Waterman converter or cartridge into the C/F.  Even if they don't fit, it's been very easy to fill a C/F cartridge with any ink I desire and then write with it in the C/F.

sansenri, thanks for picturing your C/F.  Is the finish stainless steel to go with the 18k nib?  That's a beautiful pen.

The modern Waterman converter and modern Waterman cartridge do not fit the Waterman's C/F fountain pen.  I tried both with the C/F.  The cartridge goes in a bit, but I don't believe it goes in all the way, and the cartridge is much too long for the C/F in any case.  The converter doesn't go in at all (too thick), and it also is too long in any event.  I believe that information settles the matter.  Does anyone have experience that contradicts mine?

1 hour ago, donnweinberg said:

The modern Waterman converter and modern Waterman cartridge do not fit the Waterman's C/F fountain pen.  I tried both with the C/F.  The cartridge goes in a bit, but I don't believe it goes in all the way, and the cartridge is much too long for the C/F in any case.  The converter doesn't go in at all (too thick), and it also is too long in any event.  I believe that information settles the matter.  Does anyone have experience that contradicts mine?

What a pity!! Thank you for the update.

There is a company that makes converters for Waterman C/Fs.  I have a few.  Pen Boutique and Endless Pens, among I am sure others, sell these metal converters.

C/Fs are great pens, I agree. i have two sets myself; one in turquoise and one in red.

Good luck!

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

I just received two more C/F pens, one with a black barrel and GP cap and trim, and one with a red barrel and stainless steel cap and trim (plus a matching mechanical pencil).  The red one came with two C/F converters.  I transferred one to the photo of the black-and-gold C/F; I have a total of two converters so far.

C:F black & gold - disassembled w converter.jpeg

C:F red & SS - FP disassembled w 2 cartridges & pencil 01.jpeg

When CF nibs are good they are very, very good - particularly those on the broader side. It's a pen that doesn't get a lot of love but is worth collecting - there are some lovely designs both in lacquer and in the textured metal finishes. 'Crocodile' is much coveted.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

Yesterday, I received, and then photographed, another C/F -- this one with a fully stainless steel body (cap and barrel), an 18K white gold nib, and a C/F converter (so, now I have 3 C/F converters):

C:F SS - pen capped w converter detached.jpeg

C:F SS - close up of 18K nib & section.jpeg

Hi, wspohn.  Wow, your C/Fs are really nice.  I looked at the "alligator" style (the last of your photos) on Ebay, but they both came in sets and were $300 - $400.