Ranga Giant 9B

Recursion

Ranga, Model Giant 9B ebonite in Crimson Red with black specs

I started out with relatively small and slim pens (e.g. Waterman Expert III). I soon found out that larger and girthier pens suit my hands better. Which is strange as I tend to have very small handwriting and prefer western extra fine and/or Japanese fine nibs. But somehow a bigger pen makes me write neater and helps me to hold the pen without tensioning my muscles that much. 

So, the facts:
Manufacturer:           Ranga & Co
Model:                        Giant 9B
Material:                     Ebonite
Nib:                             Jowo #6 steel (EF) - unit
Filling system:           3 in 1 (eye dropped)
Capped:                     175 mm
Uncapped:                 152 mm
Posted:                       207 mm
Section:                      12 – 13 mm
Well yeah, there is doubt about it, this is a giant pen (as the name suggests). It’s a clipless design and the seam between the cap and barrel is hardly noticeable. This gives it a classical yet sleek appearance. It is by no means an understated design, put this on your desk and people will notice.

IMG_2155.thumb.jpeg.6dee63b61843b995fb88bb6747373b6c.jpeg

IMG_2156.thumb.jpeg.f1f5086299fbf65f92eda279c9d989d6.jpeg

Construction & Quality - Craftmanship
The pen feels lovely in the hand and is well balanced and is lightweight. The threading on the pen is unintrusive and well made. The pen uncaps in just under 1 turn! The treading on the barrel is quite long and this enhances the felling of security when eye dropping this pen. The ergonomics of the pen really fits my hand quite nicely.

IMG_2160.thumb.jpeg.191575fca6c2d42699cd14af44619ec3.jpeg

Weight & Dimensions - Long, girthy, yet lightweight
This pen is surprisingly light! With such a big pen I expected it to be heavy but no, this weights no more than, say, a Pilot Custom 823 (by feel, as I don’t own a scale). For size comparison I show the pen with some well-known pens, hopefully this gives you an idea.

IMG_2163.thumb.jpg.0ec0f10aebfbb72e6cf9e8d6d5103dfe.jpgIMG_2164.thumb.jpg.0a8937a51e4ebba97377b20d524bf5d4.jpg

Nib & Performance – It’s a Jowo #6
The extra fine steel #6 Jowo nib perform great out of the box (cleaned), no misalignment, no flow issues and smooth. The ink flow is generous enough to show the characters of the ink. I matched it with Akkerman Ink #17 (Staten-Generaal Rood), this suits the pen nicely IMHO. So, nothing to complain here.

IMG_2162.thumb.jpeg.ce06e700ae21b49ef6d6ba1ec4880bbe.jpeg

Filling System & Maintenance – Your choice
With the 3 in 1 filling system, you can do whatever you want. There is a Smith standard international converter included with the pen. I chose to eye dropper it as I dislike refilling pens constantly (I write a lot) and like a big ink capacity. Cleaning is straight forward and easy as you can take the pen apart.

IMG_2158.thumb.jpeg.e5f0c221d3b8bdfc924805015859f147.jpeg

Cost & Value – Great value
For just a little over € 74,- this is a great value for your money pen. Especially if you consider it’s handmade, made of ebonite, huge number nib options and send within 2 weeks (order, produced and shipped!!). The packaging is great and customer service is impeccable

IMG_2138.jpeg.69306acf846fa2f1a76b4a88b35f1501.thumb.jpeg.045a83c21e67556bd406cb483cde161f.jpeg

Conclusion – Again thumbs up for Ranga 👍
All in all, again a lovely pen made by Ranga Pens. I have this pen inked-up and at the ready at my desk and use it mainly for longer writing session, the size and girth of the pen gives me a relaxed writing experience. It’s a pleasure to write with this pen.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Recursion

• Doug C

• Jamerelbe

• Harish N V

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, K Singh said:

Once you get used to the comfort of Jumbo-sized pens it's hard to go back to smaller pens.

I totally agree, the sheer comfort of writing with a larger pen is great. Especially for longer writing sessions.

Thanks for the review - I don't have a Giant (or non-Giant) 9B in my collection yet, but might just have to add one to my wishlist!  How would you say this compares to your 4C - do you prefer one to the other?

46 minutes ago, Jamerelbe said:

How would you say this compares to your 4C - do you prefer one to the other?

The 4C is way smaller but that fits in the pocket of my shirt so it’s ideal for note taking at work. The giant 9B is not that easy to carry around so it’s more ideal to have it at the ready at my desk. For writing I prefer the giant 9B because of the ergonomics and the girth of the section. 
FB178785-3312-4E31-B612-139BA4A0D2B5.thumb.jpeg.a4dd8cf946634a7a7f2124304fe31c5b.jpeg

Really nice review. Like your pictures. This is the exact pen I have ordered on the current group but. The crimson red looks so pretty. 

What does the black specs mean? . It looks totally red. 

2 minutes ago, Harish N V said:

What does the black specs mean? . It looks totally red.

There are a few little black specs in the ebonite, not many but they are there (as advertised) 
066603CF-9102-432D-B1C0-2F3A4E69CFDE.thumb.jpeg.bd5ffd1f309767d30d3eca49b77f6b8b.jpeg

7 hours ago, Recursion said:

There are a few little black specs in the ebonite, not many but they are there (as advertised) 
066603CF-9102-432D-B1C0-2F3A4E69CFDE.thumb.jpeg.bd5ffd1f309767d30d3eca49b77f6b8b.jpeg

It is a freckle...🤣🤣 regards...

1 hour ago, Recursion said:

🤣 I counted them and there are 5 freckles in total 🤣

I think Ranga highlight the existence of these speckles / freckles in the interests of "truth in advertising". They're really no big deal, but they're present in all of their single-colour inhouse ebonites, and they'd prefer their customers not to be taken by surprise, and/or to complain when they find them...

18 minutes ago, Jamerelbe said:

I think Ranga highlight the existence of these speckles / freckles in the interests of "truth in advertising". They're really no big deal, but they're present in all of their single-colour inhouse ebonites, and they'd prefer their customers not to be taken by surprise, and/or to complain when they find them...

They do not bother me at all, they are hardly notable 

nice review, nice pen! The crimson red looks very good.

The 9B is somewhat too big for me, I prefer the model 4 in comparison, and my ideal size is really the 8B.

Among the Indian makers Ranga is doing a good job and I agree, especially compared to some other Indian makers who are somewhat difficult to reach, Ranga is more prompt in answering and always available to help if they can. This last aspect is not secondary and explains why I own far more Rangas than any other Indian pens, although some are similarly desirable.

On 12/25/2021 at 10:53 PM, Recursion said:

They do not bother me at all, they are hardly notable 

I agree - I appreciate though the fact that they highlight their existence - and I think it's smart business practice, given the fact that some people *do* obsess over (what they perceive to be) 'imperfections' in the material. 

6 hours ago, Jamerelbe said:

I appreciate though the fact that they highlight their existence - and I think it's smart business practice

I totally agree, customer expectation management is very important

• 4 weeks later...

This is a nice pen. Your review tempts me to order one for myself, although I hesitate to get pens without clips...

12 hours ago, bestillmysoul said:

This is a nice pen. Your review tempts me to order one for myself, although I hesitate to get pens without clips...

You can get 9B's with clips, and in ebonite or acrylic.

the Danitrio Fellowship