Fake MB Piston Filler from China (146 size)

OCArt

We knew the day would come, Aliexpress is now selling "MB 149" piston filling fountain pens with ink window. The clip has the serial number KY1944219 and "Germany." Overall crudely made when examined under a magnifying glass but true to the size of a real 146-- in fact the caps interchange. (If anyone has a broken 146 cap this would be a cheap replacement.) Two-tone gold and silver colored nib, medium/fine, with pits in the plating that are obvious under magnification. The plastic is NOT red when transilluminated, but I have seen other "MB's" with the correct red glow. The "gold" ring around the piston knob is not well aligned with the pen body and you can feel a step.

All in all this should be easy to identify as not genuine in the hand, but difficult to spot in photos.

178025820_FakeMB.png.44096aae9debc618742632524bf4dd72.png

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OCArt

• bunnspecial

• Tom Kellie

• Karmachanic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Scary... thanks for posting about this.

Part of me wants to buy one of these to be aware of whats out there, but I'm also morally opposed to supporting scammers and counterfeiters. Also, there's a really fine line between giving enough detail to expose fakes and also giving the scammers enough detail that they can make their products more convincing.

It's unfortunately happened with watches to the point that now there are fakes out there good enough that your average collector even putting them side-by-side with the real deal would have a difficult time recognizing. I hope Montblancs don't get there.

Those MB pens have been on AliExpress for over a year. They even sell the stationary accessories.  To each their own because I expect actual collectors and users know the difference and would not purchase their Montblanc items through these channels. 

There are presumably two type of people who might buy this: The person trying to "elevate" their ego by holding a replica or the unknowing consumer who gets educated but not hurt at that price point. No one invested in this hobby thinks you can get a genuine Montblanc product at that price point outside of the mystery finds in antique stores or estate sales of the unknowing seller. 

Once again, people hold the power of their purchase. If someone knowingly wants to stock up their home or office with replica MB products for whatever reason it is their prerogative. If someone needs that validation they hurt nor fooled one soul. The pens write and what emotions come from them only matter to the user. I only see an issue if someone were to try to sell that model to someone as genuine for true Montblanc prices.  I also expect adults to be informed consumers and to do their due diligence before parting with that kind of money. Montblanc does not serve this price sector hence the reason I balk at any notion they care. The real serial numbers are there for a reason. 

Majohn/Moonman are not trying to pass their products off as Montblanc pens but they are showing the markup is usually for name, materials, and the expectation of customer service for a period of time. The difference is accessibility and availability of replacement parts versus being able to send your pen back to the manufacturer for maintenance. To each their own. 

Edited by J120

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you OCArt. I'm curious about this pen, especially if parts really are interchangeable with a genuine Montblanc. Does anybody on here actually own one, and if so would they give us a detailed appraisal?

Searching online, the only pen I've found which might match the description is from a company calling itself Anyreplicawatches.co.com.  They sell what appears to be a 146 replica which they describe as follows-

"Deep black precious resin with gold-plated details, surmounted by the white star emblem and finished with a handcrafted gold nib Same as original. With Serial number on the silver slip.  100% exact copy.  Very heavy and strong construction.  Replicated to the smallest detail. All engravings and logos.  Weight to exact original.  Comes with mont blanc box"

I've emailed them to try to discover whether there's even the slightest grain of truth in their claims. I've asked for the exact dimensions and weight, and for a description and photos of the filling mechanism. So far, after 3 emails, the only information they have supplied is this - "It's about 15cm-16cm. You can use piston filler".

Ok, they're Chinese and their English isn't great, but since they are claiming "100% exact copy" and "weight to exact original" one might expect that they could at least come up with a weight and length capable of verification, and some decent photos..

Unfortunately the shipping cost to the UK is higher than the cost of the pen (a combined price of 79 US dollars), which is far too much money to waste simply to satisfy my curiosity when I know that the chances of obtaining any after-sales service, let alone a refund, are about the same as getting a refund from a travelling snake oil salesman.  And that's a shame because I do own several Chinese pens which really are excellent. My favourite is still the Jinhao 100, a Parker Duofold lookalike but definitely not a replica, which is astonishingly good value at around £14 including shipping, and compares well with any pen at any price. I'm quite prepared to believe that there might be even better Chinese pens out there at great prices, almost certainly as good as or even better than the best Montblancs.  But somehow I'm fairly certain that this replica isn't one of them!

I ordered one to see how good it was. Have not bothered to weigh it but its size was very close to my real 146. Piston filler worked well but the nib was pock marked and a nail. As I said in my original post, it would be very difficult to tell this fake from a real 146 judging only by photos but easy if in hand.

Faking a pen is ilegal.I'm sure that this fakes will be sold in different sources. There is always some one that will think that he found the bargain of the century.Thanks for the information.

On 12/31/2021 at 8:42 PM, OCArt said:

I ordered one to see how good it was. Have not bothered to weigh it but its size was very close to my real 146. Piston filler worked well but the nib was pock marked and a nail. As I said in my original post, it would be very difficult to tell this fake from a real 146 judging only by photos but easy if in hand.

Is there any chance you could do us a side by side comparison? Or a couple of photographs of the rea thing and the counterfeit together? I realise that's a big ask, but it could be useful for those of us who can't their hands on a genuine fake (oxymoron?)

I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they start churning out exact replicas, which none of us would be able to discern from the real thing.

Thanks for the information.

7 hours ago, CS388 said:

I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they start churning out exact replicas, which none of us would be able to discern from the real thing.

That's already happening. Technically, it's not impossible to make an exact replica. The only question is how much money they can make selling them. It won't be possible to sell them for $150, but it will still be less expensive than the originals, as there is no R&D in a fake product. 

Counterfeit pens are illegal, but it's challenging to enforce that. The manufacturer can help, but not sure how motivated they are. Fake pens are raising brand awareness. Many people who buy counterfeit pens would never pay for the authentic ones. However, some of them, one day, might be able or willing to afford a genuine pen.

For me, the solution is very simple. I would buy only from an authorized store. If buying a second-hand, I would buy only if the original receipt from the store is available. 

Fill your pens, not the landfill

I’m out of town for a few days but as I said in my original post there would be no way to tell the fake from seeing photos. 

14 hours ago, CS388 said:

Is there any chance you could do us a side by side comparison? Or a couple of photographs of the rea thing and the counterfeit together?