Visconti - fooled again for the last time

katerchen

22 minutes ago, by78 said:

In that case, you couldn’t possibly own more than two or three Viscontis because I believe there never had been more than a handful of functioning Visconti nibs in existence. 😆🤣

I own 9. But they get your joke. Again we apologize for hogging all the good nibs. 

Posted Image

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• katerchen

• by78

• Doug C

• lionelc

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/14/2022 at 4:34 AM, Misfit said:

I own 9. But they get your joke. Again we apologize for hogging all the good nibs. 

Could you please write an apology in the comment section of her review?

😅🤣😂

Oh wow, the comments are brutal. And deservedly so. No excuse for the quality of their nibs.

• 3 weeks later...

I always had good nibs on my Viscontis whether it be my 2002 Nato Summit or my 1990's Voyager in dark blue celluloidbut theywere the gold nibs not the dreamtouch palladium nibs.Yesterday, I have made purchase of three Viscontis at two well reputated sellers who tested them before shipping. My only advise would be to be carefull with the 90's voyagers as much as the  celloid is nice it can have a tendancy to be brittle and never screw too tight the blind cap and also put a drop of lube on the filling rod. My 90's voyager broke at the section couldn't unscrew the back section and the front section started to unscrew and broke . So from that Voyager I have a spare cap and a spare nib, I will buy the same pen next month and probably another Visconti. Again for me  I will need to have the pen daily used and cleaned when empty and in order not to have bad surprises but also choose not saturated inks. 

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Sbrebrown lambasts Visconti for its absolutely reprehensible quality control, revealing that 60-70% of Viscontis he received for review had significant nib issues. Don't forget to read the comment section, which is choke full of Visconti horror stories.

My god, the sh*t Visconti does to its customers shouldn't be legal.

My experience with Visconti nibs, which I have described elsewhere and elsewhen, has been universally bad until the nibs have been tuned by a nib technician. Then, they can be outstanding writers.

I do remain intrigued by reports from several other FPN members who have multiple Viscontis that write well out of the box. They are a minority, I believe, but I wonder if their positive experience has an explanation.

David

Yes, Dasvid, I am one of those folks who have had only positive experiences.  I have 20 Viscontis and not a dud among them, at least in terms of the nibs.  I do find the Opera style pens are too top heavy, but the Van Goghs (especially the old style), for example, are simply a delight.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

21 hours ago, dms525 said:

My experience with Visconti nibs, which I have described elsewhere and elsewhen, has been universally bad until the nibs have been tuned by a nib technician. Then, they can be outstanding writers.

I do remain intrigued by reports from several other FPN members who have multiple Viscontis that write well out of the box. They are a minority, I believe, but I wonder if their positive experience has an explanation.

David

Sample size of six:  Four Kaleido Voyagers, one Copernicus, and one Art Nouveau.  All had good nibs when I got them except one Kaleido Voyager, bought used, whose previous owner apparently tried to turn the standard Visconti gold nib into a left oblique stub using a wood rasp.  The one thing they all have in common is the gold nib.  The Art Nouveau had a significant flaw (internal leaks from the filling system) that took multiple trips to Firenze to fix properly but the Visconti nibs have all been quite nice to use except for the abused one.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

i only have one, a van gogh, and I'll never own another.  after repeated nib tune-ups it looks like the feed is also an issue and does not deliver a consistent flow of ink without periodic twists of the converter knob.  too many other good options to mess with them again.

2 hours ago, by78 said:

Could you snap a photo of your 20 Viscontis and share it here? Please write your username on a piece of paper and put it in the same frame as the pens.

Thank you.

Here you go:

20220904_213711.jpg

Using right now:

Add me to the rather more satisfied side.  I have several Viscontis, and they have all performed beautifully out of the box except one, a Van Gogh.  My Homo Sapiens Bronze Age, two Divinas, are all wonderful writers.

I have just three, a Rembrandt, Bronze Age and a Crystal Dream. They all write beautifully but I have to admit that I would probably never buy another Visconti on the back of apparently overwhelming customer dissatisfaction - there does seem to be a sub-theme though that the gold nibs write better...?

I’m delighted with my three Viscontis. Good for me. What others think of the brand is not my concern. Sometimes specific answers to specific questions can persuade someone to give a certain pen a chance, sometimes opinions are set in stone. So be it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2022 at 8:45 PM, langere said:

Here you go:

20220904_213711.jpg

Oh, I used to want the Opera version in blueberry/Nordic blue. I’ve seen it called both. I had a chance to get one with matching ink pot on eBay. My brother said something negative about the seller, so I didn’t buy it. I wish I had. 

Posted Image

• 4 months later...

So I've been researching for a big pen purchase for 2023 and considering a Visconti, maybe an Aurora and I'm starting to wonder if a Visconti is really on the table here. Because uh. This thread and the magnetic cap thread are making me second-guess Future Me's choices.

Here's hoping the Aurora Nib thread is more optimistic, I really love the Aurora 88's look too.

1 hour ago, Tina said:

So I've been researching for a big pen purchase for 2023 and considering a Visconti, maybe an Aurora and I'm starting to wonder if a Visconti is really on the table here. Because uh. This thread and the magnetic cap thread are making me second-guess Future Me's choices.

Here's hoping the Aurora Nib thread is more optimistic, I really love the Aurora 88's look too.

You can't go wrong with an Aurora. 

the Danitrio Fellowship

I am in total agreement with Aurora.  Their black ink is also among the best.

EDL

Using right now:

On 9/4/2022 at 6:45 PM, langere said:

Here you go:

20220904_213711.jpg

Very handsome Visconti family you have, langere!

Like some others here, I've had over a dozen Visconti's and enjoyed them all.

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy