Visconti - fooled again for the last time

katerchen

8 hours ago, Styloviel said:

This is what the stub nib on my new Homo Sapiens Bronze Age looks like, I contacted Visconti and am waiting for an answer

Wow...if you paid full retail, return it. I would not even waste time contacting Visconti.  However,  If you got it at a super great price, send it to someone to have it fixed. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• katerchen

• by78

• Doug C

• lionelc

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/19/2022 at 3:03 AM, james3paris said:

Wow...if you paid full retail, return it. I would not even waste time contacting Visconti.  However,  If you got it at a super great price, send it to someone to have it fixed. 

Short update: Visconti in Italy asked me to send them the pen for check and repair or substitution, what I did, hopefully I will get back a perfect writing instrument 

good to know that visconti has after sales service, hope you have a fully functional pen at the end of all this

Had a similar experience with a parker from Amazon. The pen was clearly used and they had not even cleaned cleaning the black ink in the pen...my lesson was cheaper than yours, but along with the stories for fakes (pens or other products) I stopped using Amazon since. 

I hope you get a full refund, that nib is seriously deformed!

On 1/20/2022 at 2:22 PM, Styloviel said:

Short update: Visconti in Italy asked me to send them the pen for check and repair or substitution, what I did, hopefully I will get back a perfect writing instrument 

I wish you luck.  My Art Nouveau started leaking ink from the section/barrel joint on its third filling.  The "piston" filler was leaking.  It enjoyed that first holiday back to Italy so much that it is now on its third or fourth trip (I lost count) to fix the same problem.  It has been out of warranty since the first vacation so I have spent considerable cash trying to prevent the inky fingers caused by ink oozing out of the section/barrel joint.  This last time it left the U.S. on August 31 and shows no signs of coming home in the near future.  I contacted Coles of London ten days ago and was informed that the repair department at Visconti in Italy is down to two employees, neither of whom speak English which is complicating communications with the people at Coles, none of whom speak Italian.  I have (diplomatically) suggested that Coles, the official U.S. distributor for Visconti pens, should hire, at least on a part-time basis, someone who is fluent in both English and Italian.  If Visconti still hasn't found someone competent to repair their "piston" filler I may have to look for a repair guru on this side of the Atlantic to try.

No more Viscontis for me.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

11 hours ago, kestrel said:

I wish you luck.  My Art Nouveau started leaking ink from the section/barrel joint on its third filling.  The "piston" filler was leaking.  It enjoyed that first holiday back to Italy so much that it is now on its third or fourth trip (I lost count) to fix the same problem.  It has been out of warranty since the first vacation so I have spent considerable cash trying to prevent the inky fingers caused by ink oozing out of the section/barrel joint.  This last time it left the U.S. on August 31 and shows no signs of coming home in the near future.  I contacted Coles of London ten days ago and was informed that the repair department at Visconti in Italy is down to two employees, neither of whom speak English which is complicating communications with the people at Coles, none of whom speak Italian.  I have (diplomatically) suggested that Coles, the official U.S. distributor for Visconti pens, should hire, at least on a part-time basis, someone who is fluent in both English and Italian.  If Visconti still hasn't found someone competent to repair their "piston" filler I may have to look for a repair guru on this side of the Atlantic to try.

I should tell my wife, she is fluent in both

Didn't Visconti say their nibs now undergo QC checks before shipping? Who did they hire to perform the checks, unionized monkeys doused in itching powder?

Whenever i kid my friend for spending too much for the montblanc brand, he counters by saying his pens never needed anything as opposed to my fancy italian pens…. 
At this point though i only buy from a retailer who checks the nib and i have had no issues. 

1 hour ago, dftr said:

Whenever i kid my friend for spending too much for the montblanc brand, he counters by saying his pens never needed anything as opposed to my fancy italian pens…. 

He's not wrong ... 

In my opinion (which probably differs from that of others' but that's the beauty of this hobby), in the last 60 years the two most outstanding and iconic pen designs were the Lamy 2000 and the Visconti Homo Sapiens.

Sadly, only one of them is paired with German reliability. 

2 minutes ago, katerchen said:

He's not wrong ... 

In my opinion (which probably differs from that of others' but that's the beauty of this hobby), in the last 60 years the two most outstanding a nd iconic pen designs were the Lamy 2000 and the Visconti Homo Sapiens.

Sadly, only one of them is paired with German reliability. 

You forgot to mention the Jinhao Shark.😁

the Danitrio Fellowship

On 1/26/2022 at 10:28 PM, kestrel said:

Italians speaking Italian in Italy. I am shocked. 😁

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

I never noticed this other thread, which I think is also relevant to the topic at hand, until today:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/349061-visconti-magnetic-cap-lost-strength/

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Some say there's an idiot born every minute, and I say Visconti is a testament to that sad truth. Live and learn and NEVER buy a Visconti again. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2022 at 10:28 PM, kestrel said:

Update.  Coles has informed me that my Art Nouveau was "supposed" to leave Italy yesterday and I "should" have it back in a week to ten days.  If so that means it will have been on holiday for seven months.  Then I get to find out if the problem was actually fixed this time around.

I hope Styloviel has better luck with getting his pen repaired.

Dave Campbell

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2022 at 11:05 PM, kestrel said:

Update.  Coles has informed me that my Art Nouveau was "supposed" to leave Italy yesterday and I "should" have it back in a week to ten days.  If so that means it will have been on holiday for seven months.  Then I get to find out if the problem was actually fixed this time around.

I hope Styloviel has better luck with getting his pen repaired.

Any update? Has it been fixed?

It arrived at my house on April 1st and is currently on its fourth fill with Visconti Blue.  So far, no problems.  I am grateful that somebody at Coles or Visconti decided to not charge me for the actual repair.  I will send my thanks to Daniel at Coles for his bird dogging this with the folks at Firenze when I finish fill five.  Previous "repairs" all failed on fill four or earlier.

The Art Nouveau is a nice pen when it isn't leaking ink all over my fingers.  It feels solid with a nice heft that gives it a good balance in the hand and it has one of the better Visconti nibs.  Its one quirk is that it tends to write very dry unless I loosen the blind cap a bit when writing.  As long as it behaves itself I will be happy.

Dave Campbell

On 5/4/2022 at 10:34 AM, kestrel said:

It arrived at my house on April 1st and is currently on its fourth fill with Visconti Blue.  So far, no problems.  I am grateful that somebody at Coles or Visconti decided to not charge me for the actual repair.  I will send my thanks to Daniel at Coles for his bird dogging this with the folks at Firenze when I finish fill five.  Previous "repairs" all failed on fill four or earlier.

The Art Nouveau is a nice pen when it isn't leaking ink all over my fingers.  It feels solid with a nice heft that gives it a good balance in the hand and it has one of the better Visconti nibs.  Its one quirk is that it tends to write very dry unless I loosen the blind cap a bit when writing.  As long as it behaves itself I will be happy.

Thank you for the update and... knock on wood. 

19 hours ago, by78 said:

Thank you for the update and... knock on wood. 

The last time I did that it gave me a headache.

Dave Campbell

I apologize profusely. All the good Visconti nibs came on my pens. 

Posted Image

On 5/8/2022 at 12:04 AM, Misfit said:

I apologize profusely. All the good Visconti nibs came on my pens. 

In that case, you couldn’t possibly own more than two or three Viscontis because I believe there never had been more than a handful of functioning Visconti nibs in existence. 😆🤣