Diplomat Aero first impressions

pelikandrew

I’m well aware of the outstanding reputation of these nibs. Was really surprised to find a few that were sub-par. Nothing serious but the finishing touch was missing and I’m pretty sure that most online buyers would have returned the pens because of it. I wasn’t nitpicking.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aysedasi

• A Smug Dill

• DvdRiet

• TheDutchGuy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

I have the fine Diplomat Aero. I am going to swap it for gold nib. I find the steel slightly stiff. However, the pen is exceptional. I think it might be one of the most fun pens to write with and I have MB, Sailor, Dupont etc. Im thrilled to own it and the price point is phenomenal value. Clearly an everyday carry or a workhouse when you dont want something overly austere or fancy. Diplomat is under rated brand like Otto Hutt; another german maker.

• 1 month later...

I bought my first Aero about 4 months ago, a medium nib. I was so impressed by it that I just added another, this time with an EF nib. I've shied away from EF in the past because my Kakuno was miserable (admittedly an inexpensive pen). I took a chance with the Aero and I was not disappointed; it's very smooth. 

In both cases I picked up the pens on sale from Pen Savings so I saved about $45 on each of them.

Now I have my eye on the Elox but I can't decide between black/orange and black/blue. Will go with a F nib this time.

1 hour ago, Kho said:

I bought my first Aero about 4 months ago, a medium nib. I was so impressed by it that I just added another, this time with an EF nib. I've shied away from EF in the past because my Kakuno was miserable (admittedly an inexpensive pen). I took a chance with the Aero and I was not disappointed; it's very smooth. 

In both cases I picked up the pens on sale from Pen Savings so I saved about $45 on each of them.

Now I have my eye on the Elox but I can't decide between black/orange and black/blue. Will go with a F nib this time.

Thanks for sharing this! I've been trying to decide if I want to try out an EF nib the next time I buy a new (or newish) Diplomat, just for the variety. I love how smooth the nibs are but I was afraid that an EF might disappoint. I have a few old Diplomats from the 60s/70s with EF nibs (school pens) and they are great, especially with wet inks. But the modern nibs are a whole different animal to the old semi-hooded 'spade' nibs. 

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

3 hours ago, DvdRiet said:

I love how smooth the nibs are but I was afraid that an EF might disappoint.

I'd be the wrong person to talk to about nib smoothness, but I'll say that my only Diplomat pens all have excellent steel "size #6" EF nibs, and all the of them perform consistently and none of them disappointed.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

8 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

I'd be the wrong person to talk to about nib smoothness, but I'll say that my only Diplomat pens all have excellent steel "size #6" EF nibs, and all the of them perform consistently and none of them disappointed.

Thanks! Yes, it was your posts about the A2s that got me thinking I might like to try it. I was a solid (European!) M-ist when I first started with fountain pens, so the thought of an EF was basically just insanity. ;) It wasn’t until I ‘accidentally’ (read: wasn’t paying attention) acquired some vintage/older Diplomats with finer, and even some oblique, nibs that I realized how nice it is to have a variety to choose from.

The two of you have convinced me - an EF it is, next time!

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally got myself a 'regular' Aero! I'm not sure what I was expecting from the weird shape but I LOVE the look of this pen!! I thought I knew what it would be like since I already have the LE Volute (pictured right) that I used a Fountain Pen Day discount to get last year, but this one does actually look and feel quite different. I couldn't decide between the plain Factory version and the matte black (or maybe the orange one?? or...??), so when I found out the Stripes version was on sale, it was an easy choice. And I'm pleasantly surprised by what a good-looking pen it is (to me anyway)! Photos don't really do it justice.

large.75704B76-781B-4932-AFA0-52301A9FF366.JPEG.74f028bc0ed56b8409689568179898c8.JPEG

3 hours ago, DvdRiet said:

I'm not sure what I was expecting from the weird shape but I LOVE the look of this pen!!

Glad to have repaid you in kind for enabling me on a Diplomat Excellence A2 Oxyd Brass.  🤪

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

40 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Glad to have repaid you in kind for enabling me on a Diplomat Excellence A2 Oxyd Brass.  🤪

Haha, yes, I was still trying to decide whether I should thank you for tempting me to get this one, or curse you for helping to drain my bank account! 😉

21 hours ago, DvdRiet said:

Well, I finally got myself a 'regular' Aero! I'm not sure what I was expecting from the weird shape but I LOVE the look of this pen!! I thought I knew what it would be like since I already have the LE Volute (pictured right) that I used a Fountain Pen Day discount to get last year, but this one does actually look and feel quite different. I couldn't decide between the plain Factory version and the matte black (or maybe the orange one?? or...??), so when I found out the Stripes version was on sale, it was an easy choice. And I'm pleasantly surprised by what a good-looking pen it is (to me anyway)! Photos don't really do it justice.

large.75704B76-781B-4932-AFA0-52301A9FF366.JPEG.74f028bc0ed56b8409689568179898c8.JPEG

The stripey fella is the one I have - I love it.  It not only writes well, it looks and feels superb.  

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

32 minutes ago, Aysedasi said:

The stripey fella is the one I have - I love it.  It not only writes well, it looks and feels superb.  

Funny you say that because it did immediately remind me of a handsome fellow in a pin-striped suit when I took it out of the box! :) It's also pleasantly tactile with the smooth, shallow grooves. I've inked it up as my rotation pen for today and it is certainly a pleasure to write with.

On 7/6/2022 at 1:54 PM, DvdRiet said:

Funny you say that because it did immediately remind me of a handsome fellow in a pin-striped suit when I took it out of the box! :) It's also pleasantly tactile with the smooth, shallow grooves. I've inked it up as my rotation pen for today and it is certainly a pleasure to write with.

I always feel as if I'm writing with a miniature zeppelin.......  ;)

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

53 minutes ago, Aysedasi said:

I always feel as if I'm writing with a miniature zeppelin.......  ;)

Haha, I think that was their plan! 😉

• 6 months later...

I test drove a Diplomat Aero fountain pen... and somehow for me, the aesthetic didn't work. I think part of it was the posting. I'm so used to pens where posting is nicely thought out, intentionally accommodated. Diplomat did little for this. Beautiful to look at when capped... so, I had the intention of eventually getting the ballpoint or mechanical pencil. Finally I had an opportunity to get a lightly used ballpoint in nearly new condition. I have to say, THIS is the best incarnation of the pen. The "Zeppelin" shape is maintained while writing. spacer.png

Note that a few pen retailers like Cult Pens is running a sale on the Aero. Includes all types -- fountain pen, roller ball, ballpoint, and mechanical pencil. The champagne one is discounted the most. And if you're a first time buyer, you can get 10% off by subscribing. I'm very keen on the orange/black mechanical pencil. The all orange looks great, but there's something about the distinct "two-halves of color" that I find appealing.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small