Visconti Celluloid Pen for Novelli's 70th Anniversary

dms525

To celebrate the store's 70th anniversary, Novelli had Visconti make a celluloid fountain pen with a 14kt gold nib in a limited edition of 70. I ordered one with a stub nib, pretty much as soon as Marco announced it. The pen arrived a couple days ago, and I am very happy with it.

367019511_visconti-novelli1.jpg.6e2cc72f15dd973a8dc3add4bfb51ca6.jpg

Appearance and Design

The style of the pen is somewhat old-fashioned in a positive way. The length is the same as that of the Homo Sapiens. The clip is a style that predates the current arc of the Homo Sapiens, I think. The clip is quite springy. For me, the tension is about perfect.

The celluloid is dark blue with islands of gold and is much more attractive than what you see in my photos. Manufacturing quality is superb. The pen has a very comfortable section. There is a clear ink window, which i happen to like.

Nib and Performance

The nib is a 14 kt stub and writes rather wet. It is my first Visconti with a gold nib. The others I own all have the palladium nibs Visconti used for a number of years. I first loaded it with Visconti Blue - a good ink with a good color match for the pen. I then loaded it with Pelikan 4001 Blue-black to see if a very dry ink with provide a crisper line. Both inks performed about the same. The nib is rather springy and smooth writing but with a bit of feed back. The only negative is that there is mild hesitancy in ink flow after a brief break in writing. Ink flows well after the nib is gently flexed. I may (or may not) eventually ask a nibmeister to make it a bit crisper for my italic handwriting.

The engraving on the nib is different from Visconti's usual. It is quite simple. I don't know if it has a particular symbolic significance. 

1544402709_visconti-novellinib2.jpeg.1809005743340777809274a6acc376c3.jpeg

Filling system

The pen has Visconti's well-known power filler, and it works well. As stated above, there is a clear ink window which I find a positive feature.

Cost and value

This is not an inexpensive pen, but the price is less than that of most of the Homo Sapiens limited editions. For a celluloid pen of this quality, I think the price is almost a bargain.

Conclusion

This is a handsome pen that is a pleasure to see and use. The only negative is the slightly hesitant ink flow described above. Once you are writing, ink flow is excellent.  Overall, I am happy with the pen and feel it is a good value for a high-end fountain pen.

1497406366_visconti-novellitext.jpg.cd72e25ec725d071a6b23d496b3bac8b.jpg

David

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kazoolaw

• jchch1950

• dms525

• como

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Waited to respond to your review until I could see it on a larger monitor:  what a gorgeous pen!  Your photos do it justice.

The clip indeed predates the "bridge" style of the Homo Sapiens and the Squaring-the-Circle models.  It's the same one as on the earlier Manhattan and Voyager pens.

The material has great depth:  as you look it has a 3D appearance from the contrasting colors.

The rounded ends, round shape, and triple cap bands are a nice contrast to the 8 sided, flat end, 50th anniversary pen.  Given how nice your writing sample is I'm sure you'll enjoy it for a long, long time.  Thanks for sharing.

What a beautiful pen! The celluloid looks like ocean and land viewed from far above. The clip and pen body/cap have a very nice vintage look. Very pleasing proportion of the plunger knob with cap and body. Congratulation, @dms525David! Enjoy it in good health and good time!