Jump to content
Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Noodler's Chekhov - A pastel pink


yazeh
 Share

Recommended Posts

Noodler’s Chekhov is Light pastel pink, belonging to the Russian line. 
One of the most subtle and soft inks I have ever used and one of the best inks, I've ever tried, period. It brings me silent joy. 

From what I've tried and tested, I really like the Russian Series in General. They are well behaved and easy to clean and water resistant.

They have also rekindled my passion for reading poetry. 

A bit about Anton Chekhov:
He was born in 1869 and died at age 44 from tuberculosis. 

Anton-Chekhov.jpg
He was a doctor by profession, but is considered one the greatest writers of all times. He once said, "Medicine is my lawful wife, and literature is my mistress." 

Chekhov was author of four plays, the Sea Gull, Uncle Vanya and 3 Sisters, the Cherry Orchard and many short stories. I assume the ink is a nod to the Cherry Orchard an

The ink shades delightfully with broad and flex nibs. It’s a shade that soothes the soul. The ink was slightly less lubricated in my Lamy Safari. It gave just enough feedback to remind me, that I'm writing. 
Dry time is about 15 seconds.
Midori
Ahab
large.323379849_Chekhov-Midori1.jpeg.9f0607d66f069381ac69e9d54b23f1cc.jpeg
Lamy Broad/ Reverse 
large.719920426_Chekhov-Midori-Lamybroad.jpeg.1d9e3b972d5252cb47fd66cf37157168.jpeg

The chroma is simple:

large.1859513617_Chekhov-Chroma1.jpeg.033b949dd61c091695bcc52f99b19cf0.jpeg

On Tomoe River - Ahab

large.2041691064_Chekhov-TR.jpeg.a3c189c2f3fce3b7528927a636b3d392.jpeg






TR 68gr with Ahab

large.131845575_Week45-1.jpeg.2a88763d853a9423ea8190fedcbf07fa.jpeg

Comparison:

large.1294927757_Chekhov-Comparaison.jpeg.52378b30677e76054f866f1a99e72ec2.jpeg

Name:  Chekhov - Comparaison.jpg Views: 0 Size:  203.0 KB

Here is a written sample on FIELD NOTES, notebooks. These are non FP friendly notebooks, super absorbent.
Front:

large.1877024298_Chekhov-FN.jpeg.429ac43a2d727c79f4cbaf8cb0df8cbe.jpeg

Back

Blarge.1062455037_Chekhov-FN-BK.jpeg.c8b2f28028155a5b8d0f707170f893c4.jpeg




Note Russian series inks are more expensive than standard bulletproof inks. 
Ink is bulletproof however, if you drag a wet Q-tip on the ink, it can be removed to a certain extent. However, under running water it looks fine and rubbing alchol doesn't faze it at all. Ink is fluorescent.  


• Pens used: Noodler’s Ahab/ Lamy Safari Broad
• Shading: Quite a bit on good paper with wide nibs.
• Ghosting: Not on good paper. Check Field notes. 
• Bleed through: On absorbent paper with wide nibs.  
• Flow Rate: Balanced
• Lubrication: Good, but it can be slightly dry depending your pen.
• Nib Dry-out: No
• Start-up: No
• Saturation: pastel
• Shading Potential: With flex and broad nibs.
• Sheen: None
• Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Not noticed…on FIELD NOTES paper a bit.
• Nib Creep / “Crud”: No
• Staining (pen): Easy to clean…
• Clogging: Nope
• Water resistance: Excellent
• Availability: 90 ml bottles

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • lapis

    1

  • yazeh

    8

  • inkstainedruth

    2

  • LizEF

    4

Top Posters In This Topic

Great! And thanks again for your literary magnetism to Russian sources!! I find it all the more noteworthy -- no, meritorious -- of you to go into detail about what can (at least theoretically) be seen in and/or read out of chosen colours.

Not meant on purpose to get off track, but here, I see less "pink" but more, well, "dried blood".

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, lapis said:

Great! And thanks again for your literary magnetism to Russian sources!! I find it all the more noteworthy -- no, meritorious -- of you to go into detail about what can (at least theoretically) be seen in and/or read out of chosen colours.

Not meant on purpose to get off track, but here, I see less "pink" but more, well, "dried blood".

Thanks Lapis for the encouragement. I try to keep it to the history to minimum. But I read some intriguing quotes from Chekhov. 

TO be honest it doesn't remind me of dry blood. I wrote several pages with it this morning, and that was the farthest from my mind. But yes, I can see a semblance of it. 

Some even describe as brown.... So go figure :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the review, @yazeh!  I really like the print writing in the Lamy broad nib and the Ahab on TR - that's gorgeous shading.  On my monitor, it looks sort of brick red.  And you made me go read the summaries of all four of Chekhov's plays, and I still can't remember which one we did in college (I majored in Russian - utter waste of time, but that's another story).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

Thanks Lapis for the encouragement. I try to keep it to the history to minimum. But I read some intriguing quotes from Chekhov. 

TO be honest it doesn't remind me of dry blood. I wrote several pages with it this morning, and that was the farthest from my mind. But yes, I can see a semblance of it. 

Some even describe as brown.... So go figure :)

Yes, on my screen it also looks like a warm light brown.

This is one I'd have to think about.  I haven't seen a lot of reviews (or even scans of swabs) of many of the Noodler's Russian series inks, although Akmatova is such a quirky green that it is a keeper for me.  So thanks for doing this.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

Thanks for the review, @yazeh!  I really like the print writing in the Lamy broad nib and the Ahab on TR - that's gorgeous shading.  On my monitor, it looks sort of brick red. 

 

I do to. That's a broad nib for you.  :)

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

 

And you made me go read the summaries of all four of Chekhov's plays, and I still can't remember which one we did in college (I majored in Russian - utter waste of time, but that's another story).

Glad I made you read...must have been an uninspired production... ;) :D

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, inkstainedruth said:

Yes, on my screen it also looks like a warm light brown.

This is one I'd have to think about.  I haven't seen a lot of reviews (or even scans of swabs) of many of the Noodler's Russian series inks, although Akmatova is such a quirky green that it is a keeper for me.  So thanks for doing this.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Thanks Ruth. Glad you liked Akhmatova. 

Maybe I should post a comparison with the few browns I've got... to give you a bit of contrast....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Glad I made you read...must have been an uninspired production...

:lol: More like so long ago there's no room left in my RAM to contain the memory and that sector of my hard drive had its index corrupted, so good luck retrieving the memory! :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I was in college, the theatre department was doing a production of The Sea Gull, and my friend Ed's roommate Noah was on set crew.  The director decided to go "realistic" and wanted a real seagull, so Ed took Noah down to Seaside Park in Bridgeport, CT.  Ed brought his BB gun to shoot at the gulls, but of course the BBs were just bouncing off the gulls, and apparently the gulls were looking at the guys going "Dudes, what is your PROBLEM?" B)

They did (somehow) managed to find a dead one on the shore and Noah triumphantly brought it back to the director -- who immediately went "EWWWWW!  That is just so GROSS!" and I think went running for a bathroom to puke up lunch! :huh: (They apparently ended up using a cloth stuffed one that someone sewed up....)

I can't remember if I actually went to see the production or not (I had had to read the play for I think my AP English class in high school and thought it was dreary....)

I must say that while I'm not overly enamored of this color ink, at least it isn't dreary-looking on my screen....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

:lol: More like so long ago there's no room left in my RAM to contain the memory and that sector of my hard drive had its index corrupted, so good luck retrieving the memory! :D

Well, I wouldn't dare to go there, would I? 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for this review - beautifully presented. And good to hear that it is a well-behaving ink. The colour is not really my thing though - but that’s what FPN is for: to get a thorough insight in inks so you can make up your mind if it’s worth getting a bottle.

BTW - when I saw the title, I was thinking: Ah… Pavel Checkov finally has an ink of his own (also a famous Russian, just born on a different stardate).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My favorite short story writer! Even in translation (I don't begin to understand Russian). I think you made be right about the ref to the Cherry Orchard since the color, what I see on my screen at least, does invoke certain kinds of cherries to me.

I love this color and you present it wonderfully - thank you! I might backpedal on no longer using Noodler's ink. I'm really tempted to find samples of this one, Akhmatova (because of your other review), and Burma Road Brown. I really doubt I'd use this one in a everyday writing pen but, if I had it, I think it would go right into one of my flex pens.

Script nib for writing screenplays. • Fine nib for my best writing. • Extra fine for my *very* best writing. • Medium for requesting a séance. • Bold for adventure stories. • Manifold for many various types of writing. • Coarse for indignant letters. • Oblique for making a point in a roundabout way. • Italic when I'm inclined. • Stub for when I intend to leave a manuscript unfinis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@inkstainedruththanks for sharing the story. I was a fan of Russian literature when a teenager, and their dreary, style suited well my teenage angst. It's good to revisit these works with hopefully more mature eyes....

Here is  a scan comprised with a couple of browns. There's some pink btw in Polar Brown...

large.428340532_CHekhovBrown.jpeg.935b50ea8d772dd10f9e8acea8a1d4b0.jpeg

@LizEFYou know where... :D

@namrehsnoom 🖖

@PithyProlix Good to know there are some Chekhov lovers. The shading happens on some papers only, to dissuade you :)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a great review. Thank you!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you @yazeh for this review.

An interesting background for a well behaved and nice looking ink always makes for a great combination and a, somehow, special writing feeling.

(knowing from a similar experience with the deAtramentis Virginia Woolf ink in the MB Virginia Woolf fountain pen ...)

 

For a moment, for a first split-second, I really thought this ink will be about Star Trek ... ;), because me not remembering the 'h' difference in the names. :)

One life!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, InesF said:

Thank you @yazeh for this review.

An interesting background for a well behaved and nice looking ink always makes for a great combination and a, somehow, special writing feeling.

(knowing from a similar experience with the deAtramentis Virginia Woolf ink in the MB Virginia Woolf fountain pen ...)

 

For a moment, for a first split-second, I really thought this ink will be about Star Trek ... ;), because me not remembering the 'h' difference in the names. :)

Most welcome. 

Funny enough, I didn't make the association at all. And I'm quite Trekkie myself. It is intriguing so many FP lovers are sci lovers too....  :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share








×
×
  • Create New...