Could anyone tell me what model of Platinum this is?

TrotskiKazotski

I recently bought this pen in an eBay auction and was wondering the model of it?

It looks a lot like a Vicoh, but these have a different, plain gold clip and a rounded top. A similar looking clip comes on the PTL-5000A, but they have a different cap band, section trim and a 14k nib instead of 18k.

Just wondering if anyone knew what it was?

Attached are 2 pictures of the pen, a Platinum Vicoh and a Platinum PTL-5000A

Platinum Pen.jpegPlatinum Pen Nib.jpeg1489869097_PlatimumVicoh.thumb.jpeg.4482540f0d0ee2ea7508aacf2e7b939b.jpegplatinum-ptl-5000a-red-front.thumb.jpg.6a6f25440d5476231ea7abd670035cdb.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• awa54

• A Smug Dill

• TrotskiKazotski

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Platinum Vicoh PTL-10000.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

It's one of the Vicoh lineup pens for sure, but even in the Japanese market the number of styles on offer has been shrinking steadily. There used to be dozens of subtle variants with differing clip, cap band and nib options (both metal quality and width). In addition it seems like models may have morphed over time, so @A Smug Dill is likely spot on with the model number, despite the fact that the most recently de-listed PTL-10000 model had a double cap band and ridged all metal clip.

I may be mis-remembering, but years ago I seem to recall that Platinum may have listed an intermediate model between the PTL-5000 and PTL-10000? 

David-

So many restoration projects...

10 minutes ago, awa54 said:

so @A Smug Dill is likely spot on with the model number, despite the fact that the most recently de-listed PTL-10000 model had a double cap band and ridged all metal clip.

Nah, I was wrong / confused.

1031793761_TrotskiKazotskiunidentifiedVicohpenmodel.jpg.73ed1088fd09f8ded393ce95c757b1d6.jpg

Vicoh, as we all know, is not a single model but an entire product line (just as #3776 Century is not a single model or even just the basic resin models with gold trim, but also includes celluloid, ebonite, Kanazawa-haku models), so “a Platinum Vicoh” in the O.P.'s text was doubly confusing with the layout of the images posted.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

lol, as was I... no secondary cap band on the PTL-10000

I wonder if anyone has archived the Plat web site over the years, it'd be interesting to look back on how many models have been dropped from the line over the last few years. 

I remember when I first looked at it over a decade ago there were *pages* of the Vicoh style nib models, sadly we're down to just the Kanazawa, a reduced number of modern Maki-e and the budget Soryu variants, with F or M nibs only :(

David-

12 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Nah, I was wrong / confused.

1031793761_TrotskiKazotskiunidentifiedVicohpenmodel.jpg.73ed1088fd09f8ded393ce95c757b1d6.jpg

Vicoh, as we all know, is not a single model but an entire product line (just as #3776 Century is not a single model or even just the basic resin models with gold trim, but also includes celluloid, ebonite, Kanazawa-haku models), so “a Platinum Vicoh” in the O.P.'s text was doubly confusing with the layout of the images posted.

Yeah sorry about the formatting, i’m not too good with this website but yeah an old Vicoh model sounds right

Here is a pic of my 1990s (??: I disassembled this pen for cleaning and to check nib alignment, but didn't write the nib date down, '93 sticks in my mind though) Platinum President, it has the same nib, feed, section and cap mechanism that the Vicoh, BelAge and allied designs share, like your pen it has resin cap and barrel ends, with a cap-top ring and a gold colored ring near the base of the barrel. 

I'm thinking your pen is the PTL-10000 equivalent from the same time period as my Vicoh *type* President.

PC060114 (2).JPG

David-

comparison of current PTL-10000 and 90s President variant of Vicoh series

these two pens can have cap, barrel, section, nib and feed interchanged between each other, essentially there are just cosmetic differences in the cap band, clip, "tassie", and metal section ring (which is also the interface with the inner cap).

I could swap sections with almost any Vicoh or BelAge to remedy the corrosion on my President's section ring, but I haven't found one that's an exact cosmetic match *and* is on a pen that's in poor enough condition to become a parts donor :(

File0229smcrp.JPG

File0237sm.JPG

David-