dms525

I am sorry to report that the esteemed calligrapher, teacher and author of "Written Letters," Jaki Svaren, passed away on November 20, 2021. Her obituary will appear in the Portland Oregonian tomorrow (December 5, 2021). Here is a link to the obituary: https://obits.oregonlive.com/us/obituaries/oregon/name/jacqueline-svaren-obituary?id=31705095

852420268_JakiSvarenReedScriptoriumedited.jpg.4309f5b239da1785176fea0678bc983f.jpg

A photo I took of Jaki Svaren at Reed College, February 11, 2015.

David

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• amberleadavis

• inkstainedruth

• Grayspoole

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I still have (somewhere in my house) a copy of her book -- which was used back when I took calligraphy as a sophomore in college by the person teaching it that semester (that's the class where I learned how to fill a dip pen without "dipping" it -- by filling it with an eyedropper; yes, sadly, we used Speedball pens in class, not fountain pens the way my first roommate did the year before, having an Osmiroid).

Weird bit of synchronicity -- we got a holiday card/letter from my husband's old office mate from when we lived in MA, and one of her kids (she had a boy and a girl who are twins) is attending Reed College....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

So sorry to see this.  May her calligraphy legacy live on.

David, thank you so much for posting about the new edition of Written Letters several months ago. It deserves to be widely known, and I highly recommend it to anyone seeking to improve their calligraphy. I purchased a copy of the third 1986 edition and have been studying and learning from it ever since. (The new edition does not yet seem to be available, but I will probably get another copy since proceeds will benefit the Calligraphy Initiative at Reed.)

3 hours ago, Grayspoole said:

So sorry to see this.  May her calligraphy legacy live on.

David, thank you so much for posting about the new edition of Written Letters several months ago. It deserves to be widely known, and I highly recommend it to anyone seeking to improve their calligraphy. I purchased a copy of the third 1986 edition and have been studying and learning from it ever since. (The new edition does not yet seem to be available, but I will probably get another copy since proceeds will benefit the Calligraphy Initiative at Reed.)

Thank you, Grayspoole!

Your support is appreciated.

Happy writing!

David

Thank you for sharing.  She made amazing contributions.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 1 year later...

I'm deeply saddened to hear about the passing of Jaqueline Svaren. Her contributions to the world of calligraphy and her book "Written Letters" have left a lasting impact on the community. It's always a loss when someone who has shared their knowledge and passion with others leaves us. Reflecting on their contributions and finding ways to honor their memory can bring comfort during such times. For those considering ways to remember her, Vancouver Granite offers footstone grave markers that can serve as a meaningful tribute. My thoughts are with her loved ones during this time of loss.