Jump to content
Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

When People Offer Me a Cheap Ballpoint...


Checklist

Recommended Posts

On 1/27/2022 at 5:05 PM, Checklist said:

I thought I remembered hearing a while back that COVID didn't really spread via surfaces.  Sanitizing my pens has never occurred to me, unless the kids get ahold of one...

Correct, odds of surface transmission are low Science Brief: SARS-CoV-2 and Surface (Fomite) Transmission for Indoor Community Environments | CDC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • kestrel

    3

  • inkstainedruth

    4

  • Checklist

    3

  • N1003U

    3

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When People Offer Me a Cheap Ballpoint...

 

Ah, I see that you have not heard of the trinity of good things. Allow me to enlighten you.

We shall read From the first book of fountain pens

The conversion of the Double edged razor 

and the joy of the good chefs knife.

 

 

 

  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In addition to my fountain pen du jour, I carry one of those four-colour Bic multi-pens with me for use on types of paper that are not FP-friendly (or if I ever have to lend a pen to somebody).

 

At the moment, during the time of the ‘rona, on the occasions when I have felt a need to ‘decontaminate’ my FP after using it in public, on my return home I have washed it along with my hands using soap and water.
Soap is a better way to disrupt the lipid ‘shell’ of the virus than is alcohol. And is also less likely to damage any plastics in one’s pen.

 

Were I to find myself in need of hospitalisation at the moment, my plan is to load my all-stainless-steel Parker Vector with a cartridge re-filled with Sailor Kiwa Guro. I will take the Vector, along with a small notebook/bloc pad, in the bag of things that the hospital wants me to bring-in with me.

 

Why would I want a pen with me if I get hospitalised?

Well, if I have to be intubated/ventilated/wear an oxygen mask, I imagine that speaking clearly might get somewhat difficult, so being able to write my answers to any questions from clinicians seems to me to be a good idea.

 

Why that Vector?

Because the all-stainless-steel construction of the pen (apart from its feed) means not only that it is robust, but also that it can be safely wiped-down with alcohol-based gel by hospital staff if they need to do so.

Also, if it gets stolen/lost while I’m in there, I’ve only lost a Vector. I would not want to risk taking in any pen that is expensive or hard-to-replace.

 

Why Kiwa Guro?

It flows well, but doesn’t feather or bleed, it is lightfast, and is very water-resistant.

Noodler’s Black would be another good candidate.

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Black Spot said:

The conversion of the Double edged razor 

and the joy of the good chefs knife.


I am hoping that you do not intend to use these two items ‘Samurai style’ - i.e.  to ‘deal with’ the scapegrace wretch who impugned your dignity by offering you the cheap ballpoint ;)

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Mercian said:


I am hoping that you do not intend to use these two items ‘Samurai style’ - i.e.  to ‘deal with’ the scapegrace wretch who impugned your dignity by offering you the cheap ballpoint ;)

 

No, We seek to convert, show you the error of your ways. 

 

 

download.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/31/2022 at 11:40 PM, AmandaW said:

 

I just finished reading about the history of Bic Cristal in 'The Missing Ink' by Philip Hensher and was left thinking I should get one. Briefly...

I don't have access to that book, but i like this article here: https://penhero.com/PenGallery/BIC/BICLE.htm

not necessarily about the "cristal" tho'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/2/2022 at 2:25 PM, Mercian said:

[…]

 

Why Kiwa Guro?

It flows well, but doesn’t feather or bleed, it is lightfast, and is very water-resistant.

Noodler’s Black would be another good candidate.

Those Sailor Nano Inks are the only ones I found which can replace a ballpoint on bad paper most of the time. For me it’s Sou-Boku.
 

Most inks don’t even work properly on office paper, bleeding into double broad lines from a fine nib. My Sailor Mini with H-EF Nib does the job on almost any paper. Good for printed out forms.  
 

I still use ballpoints from time to time. Normally I try to avoid those cheap giveaways. But when I was offered a BIC Cristal some weeks ago, I took it thankfully. Those are not bad and the refills fit into my leather-clad BIC Cristal x Pinel et Pinel…

 

Best,

Sebastian

59FF6960-3D4F-4BE9-8961-967C09F3C02E.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 1/27/2022 at 5:05 PM, Checklist said:

I thought I remembered hearing a while back that COVID didn't really spread via surfaces.  Sanitizing my pens has never occurred to me, unless the kids get ahold of one...

 

eh.  I figure if I'm going to get sick from a fountain pen, there's worse ways to go.... We all need a *little* exposure otherwise covid will become the next MRSA (superbug).... 

 

I ate dirt as a child, and I'm totally fine, and healthy, and happy..... It built my immune system I'm sure, and as such, I almost never get sick.  That's it, that's my answer..... eat dirt.... Lol.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/2/2022 at 7:25 AM, Mercian said:

In addition to my fountain pen du jour, I carry one of those four-colour Bic multi-pens with me for use on types of paper that are not FP-friendly (or if I ever have to lend a pen to somebody).

 

At the moment, during the time of the ‘rona, on the occasions when I have felt a need to ‘decontaminate’ my FP after using it in public, on my return home I have washed it along with my hands using soap and water.
Soap is a better way to disrupt the lipid ‘shell’ of the virus than is alcohol. And is also less likely to damage any plastics in one’s pen.

 

Were I to find myself in need of hospitalisation at the moment, my plan is to load my all-stainless-steel Parker Vector with a cartridge re-filled with Sailor Kiwa Guro. I will take the Vector, along with a small notebook/bloc pad, in the bag of things that the hospital wants me to bring-in with me.

 

Why would I want a pen with me if I get hospitalised?

Well, if I have to be intubated/ventilated/wear an oxygen mask, I imagine that speaking clearly might get somewhat difficult, so being able to write my answers to any questions from clinicians seems to me to be a good idea.

 

Why that Vector?

Because the all-stainless-steel construction of the pen (apart from its feed) means not only that it is robust, but also that it can be safely wiped-down with alcohol-based gel by hospital staff if they need to do so.

Also, if it gets stolen/lost while I’m in there, I’ve only lost a Vector. I would not want to risk taking in any pen that is expensive or hard-to-replace.

 

Why Kiwa Guro?

It flows well, but doesn’t feather or bleed, it is lightfast, and is very water-resistant.

Noodler’s Black would be another good candidate.

 

Lol.  Sounds like you've put some thought into this.... Lol.  I'd probably just take a bic, or maybe wooden pencils, even though my fp's are all intro / cheap I'm still fairly attached.... plus, I just wouldn't want to deal with covid AND inky fingers.  Lol.  I was re-inking a pen last night, and it fell onto my desk, hit just right and splashed ink EVERYWHERE.... I even had it on my lips and teeth... 

 

I don't know, it just seems like having to deal with inky fingers AND covid might be more than I could handle.... hahaha.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/2/2022 at 8:48 AM, Black Spot said:

 

No, We seek to convert, show you the error of your ways. 

 

 

download.jpg

 

:lticaptd:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/30/2022 at 12:10 AM, N1003U said:

the typical oxidation state for copper is +2

Sorry, but that is not correct - copper is +1 or +2. Wikipedia: "Copper forms a rich variety of compounds, usually with oxidation states +1 and +2"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When People Offer Me a Cheap Ballpoint...

 

I just, say thanks, and use it. That's the least one can do to acknowledge a courteous offering: accept it politely and thank the producer for caring enough to share whatever they have with and interest to help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, txomsy said:

When People Offer Me a Cheap Ballpoint...

 

I just, say thanks, and use it. That's the least one can do to acknowledge a courteous offering: accept it politely and thank the producer for caring enough to share whatever they have with and interest to help.

 

Second that, cannot say it any better

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/26/2022 at 6:10 AM, mke said:

Sorry, but that is not correct - copper is +1 or +2. Wikipedia: "Copper forms a rich variety of compounds, usually with oxidation states +1 and +2"

 

Yea, yea, copper will go into a +1 state, but you usually really have to whack it with a lot of energy to make it do it...+2 is WAY more typical...

 

...many metals are famous for taking on multiple oxidation states, but some states are more equal than others...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 11/26/2021 at 6:20 PM, Checklist said:

Apologize for the reference to a terrible movie, but it is a good response to offers of a cheap Bic.  

 

 I understand your dislike of BIC but Cristal 1.6 mm is one hell of a pen. Sadly I cannot buy them as easily as before but you should give it a try if you like bold lines.

Verba volant, littera scripta manet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now







×
×
  • Create New...