Sheaffer Targa Slim hard starts & flow issues

Pspboy17

Anyone know what might be wrong with this pen? It has issues starting, and frequently dries up between words. I spent a few hours soaking it and running water thorugh it until it was clear, and then filled it with a mini Kaweco piston converter.

I think it might be that the nib isn't sitting against the feed towards the tip of the pen, but I wanted to get some advice before I break something trying to take it apart. The pictures don't do a great job at showing it, but it looks like the nib is bent up.
I saw this guide for removing the section on full sized Targa by separating the barrel threads from the section. On this pen that area is very tiny, and it didn't seem to move al all from my gentle attempts earlier. I mostly just wanted to do this to get a better look at the feed and to give it a more through cleaning.

Here's a video showing how it writes currently.

20211123_161633.jpg

20211123_161942.jpg

20211123_161643.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pspboy17

• Ron Z

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If there is a gap between nib and feed, it could cause some flow issues.  If there is a bit of one, its more likely that the nib was bent up than that the feed was set wrong - I've never set the feed in a Targa of either variety.

The more likely problem is a clogged feed.  The ink channels in these are very fine. With the feed and collector fins being completely enclosed, its very difficult to clean it perfectly without taking the nib unit apart.  Once apart, an ultrasonic helps to get everything out. The standard size Targa is difficult enough.  The shell of the slim Targa is very thin.  Do be gentle if you open the pen.  Use a hook to pull out the 0-ring inside, and then push the feed out from the front, don't pull, to avoid breaking the tail of the feed.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Is the section assembled the same way as the full sized Targa? First removing the threaded section for the barrel then removing the clip and pushing the feed out?

Pretty much.   The plastic is much thinner, and so easier to break. Thread bushing comes out, then the plug with the piercing tube, 0-ring and then the feed.  IIRC the feeds have the same insert as the plastic feed shown in the exploded view of the Imperial nibs.

I can see that its time to do an exploded view of Targa nibs.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Are the nib tines aligned?  They look misaligned, but maybe that's distortion.  

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 2 weeks later...

The tines are pretty well aligned. I've been soaking it for 2 days in distilled water and when flushing it after some dark "sediment" came out. Hopefully this is what is causing my issues, I'm gonna let it soak another day or two and report back any findings.20211208_163501.thumb.jpg.f6efba5c4b170e972782020e694d6499.jpg