I got this pen today

DvdRiet

14 hours ago, dms525 said:

Nothing exotic, but a solution to a problem. The problem is that the checks my bank issues use really fountain pen hostile paper. Most pens and inks produce horrible feathering and bleeding. The solution is to use a fairly dry, pretty narrow italic nib and dry ink.  I have settled on a Franklin-Christoph medium steel nib ground by Masuyama or Nagahara to cursive italic. My check-writing pen lives in a Good-Made-Better PenWell on my desk.

Since I use it as a "desk pen," I decided to order a Franklin-Christoph Model 66. It arrived today and seems well-suited to its duties.

878156590_F-CModel66.jpg.cee67d01b96822a68fd31efd4124f5aa.jpg

593640685_F-CModel66penwell.jpg.5eb8256cb689abf0ba74ad6dded063da.jpg

F-C Model 66 nib.jpg

DMS you have the coolest things....😀

10 hours ago, cat74 said:

Ooooo...a nice Parker 45 has joined me today!!

16783400168176795654818630306586.jpg

Very Nice !!!! 👍🙂 Steel nib or Gold?

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• PithyProlix

• Penguincollector

• DvdRiet

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, DvdRiet said:

Your wish is my command! 😀

This is the 'core collection' with one of each model - as far as I have been able to discover, that is. I'm sure there are more. And as you can see from the placeholder cards, I still have quite a few to find. Still enjoying the thrill of the hunt! (Forgive the beige ballpoint in the bottom tray - it was a *rather dubious* (lol!) gift and it now serves as a placeholder for the model 22 and to remind me of my grail of finding the striated models 22 through 26.) 

large.SOTC_Diplomat_models.jpg.5e703fbc77e97beb2c3a274a0052688c.jpg

Then I also have a number of 'specials,' i.e., models that were also released in some fun color series, finishes like the Flame and the Matrix, and things like the LE 75th anniversary piston pens in acrylic. As you can see, I've been having fun collecting colorful pens! :happyberet:

large.SOTC_specials.jpg.de1c983b3af0b7c320a662cbaac9de33.jpg

Also, I have to mention that I absolutely LOVE the quality of this Toyooka chest. It is very simple but so elegantly made with very precise attention to detail. It is such a beautiful piece of furniture that sits on top of the credenza in my office. And I think my Diplomats like it, too. 

Very nice collection and pen chest.

PS  I like the BP too 👍

7 hours ago, USG said:

DMS you have the coolest things....😀

Very Nice !!!! 👍🙂 Steel nib or Gold?

Just steel for now it will get either a steel broad or gold stub though...probably the stub

22 hours ago, dms525 said:

Nothing exotic, but a solution to a problem. The problem is that the checks my bank issues use really fountain pen hostile paper. Most pens and inks produce horrible feathering and bleeding.

Did you ever try an iron-gall ink on your cheques?

In my experience, i-g inks very rarely bleed or feather.
That said, I have managed to induce some slight feathering on the uncoated pulpy ‘paper’ in a crossword-book.

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

Parker pens made in England had softer nibs than those made in the States.

My English P-45 was regular flex/Japanese 'soft' and my Jr. Duofold was semi-flex.

Parker had to compete with Swan that had nibs in all flexes.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

20 hours ago, cat74 said:

Ooooo...a nice Parker 45 has joined me today!!

16783400168176795654818630306586.jpg

Cool!  What's the nib on it?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

large.775861687_Faber-CastellGripsilverglamedition.jpg.bd6c688db456f9ddafbb9466d27f30cf.jpg

The colour of the pen body is difficult to capture or represent well in photographs, and while it looks quite nice and unobtrusive in the flesh, this whole rainbow spectrum of colours thing would be very much something I'd personally avoid sporting, were it not for the inside joke of a name.

The finish on the grip section is not the ‘best’ or most even, if I look at it really close up; but, given this is a 2011 special edition colour, and twelve years on the material has not become tacky to the touch all by itself, this pen might just remain serviceable longer than some other pens with rubbery grips.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

@A Smug Dill I have a Grip 2010 in Turquoise. I somehow missed the version you have. Or thought it was just a silver tone. Do you plan to use it?  Or give it to your wife?

Posted Image

23 minutes ago, Misfit said:

Or thought it was just a silver tone.

The F-C Grip silver glam looks only like a slightly sheeny Pilot Iroshizuku Kiri-same colour in the flesh; it doesn't actually hit people in the face with ”I identify with some capital letter in WYSIWYG” flamboyance.

I'll use the pen. The inside joke is on me, not my wife. :) (I'm sure AmandaW already ‘got’ it. You, too, know enough information about me to figure it out.)

I'll probably fill it with Colorverse αUMa ink, at least in the first instance.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

22 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

I'm sure AmandaW already ‘got’ it.

Yes. Lol. May need one of those glittery suits to go with it.  The kind some rock stars used to wear. :D

I also got two packages in the post today. One from China with the Asvine P30 that I had to mull over for ages before deciding to get it. It is, indeed  a heavy pen, but a lot of it is in the cap and the rest seems pretty well balanced for the hand. I don't think I have any other piston fillers in the cigar shape - I like that a lot.

The second package is the most amazing collection of pens, ink and samples... I knew it was on the way, but had no idea it would be like the old Aussie pass-around box, but mine.

It feels like Christmas here today.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

2 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

One from China with the Asvine P30

Wow, that's quick, especially considering where you are in Australia.

4 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

I don't think I have any other piston fillers in the cigar shape - I like that a lot.

I'm very glad to hear that! “The price is right” at the moment on AliExpress, and I'm loosely contemplating ordering a second Asvine P30.

3 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

… like the old Aussie pass-around box, but mine.

Haha, I didn't quite think of it like that, but I suppose it is.

19 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

I also got two packages in the post today.

I got two packages today too. None had pens. One package had two pair of Solmate socks mismatched socks, the other had two notebooks, both library themed. I do have a plan to get the rest of the Pilot Prera Iro-ai pens I don’t have. There are five, and I’ll ask for them for my birthday and from Santa. 

Posted Image

8 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

My English P-45 was regular flex/Japanese 'soft' and my Jr. Duofold was semi-flex.

Text extracted and rearranged with Google Lens from an old German newspaper ad for Parker 45 (PDF document: 1962 Spiegel). 

Punctuation and word order may be incorrect.

In this case, does "Elastische" mean nib flex?

I've only checked seven, but the English and French Parker 45 nibs have a slit leading to the breather hole; all seven did.

The American-made ones, on the other hand, do not.

"Patronen- wechsel in komfort: 5 Sekunden! Tintenflasche und schmutzige Hände gehören der Vergangen.heit an. Elastische, aus- schraubbare Goldfeder, Präzisions- Tinten-regulierung, Metall-Steck. kappe und vieles mehr für DM 14,50 bis DM 50,-."

10 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Hi Bo Bo, is this an observation made from personal experience, or a documented fact?

Does it apply to steel, and gold nibs?

Do you know how the 'softness' was acheived?

1 hour ago, Number99 said:

Text extracted and rearranged with Google Lens from an old German newspaper ad for Parker 45 (PDF document: 1962 Spiegel). 

Punctuation and word order may be incorrect.

I've only checked seven, but the English and French Parker 45 nibs have a slit leading to the breather hole; all seven did.

"Patronen- wechsel in komfort: 5 Sekunden! Tintenflasche und schmutzige Hände gehören der Vergangen.heit an. Elastische, aus- schraubbare Goldfeder, Präzisions- Tinten-regulierung, Metall-Steck. kappe und vieles mehr für DM 14,50 bis DM 50,-."

Hi 99,

The translation I get from Google mentions 'unscrewable' gold nibs? 

Are you saying that the USA nibs don't have a slit?

Is this refering to gold nibs, gold plated, or steel nibs?

3 hours ago, Number99 said:

I have no American P-45's just remember back when only the rich had color TV's my P-45 seemed harder than my Wearever's....which I can say have what I call regular flex nibs....in Esterbrook, Wearever and Venus came in that flex back int he day.

1 hour ago, mallymal1 said:

is this an observation made from personal experience, or a documented fact?

Does it apply to steel, and gold nibs?.......don't know about any in Steel.

I was at an indoor flea market and I found an standard sized, English made  Jr. Duofold that thumbnail tested to a semi-flex!!!:yikes:A Parker that wasn't a nail...

Three stands later a rolled gold caped English made P-45 with a regular flex nib....again a Parker that wasn't a nail or a semi-nail. :unsure:

Still have both of those pens. ......................IMO and I do like balance.........the skinny Snorkel and the P-45 are the only two Large pens I've found with great balance for the Snorkel, as expected from a pen in that era and very good balance in the second generation long tapering pen body P-45.............those are the only large pens that I have that have good balance. The large MB146 is close but not quite well balanced....to my '50-60's era pen time.

Had and had a nail P-51 and a US semi-nail P-75 Have a nail Vac also. And a couple modern ones, (In they are nails, I have no idea which actually) my wife was allowed to run free at a flea market and bought those fountain pens for a lazy stay at home husband.

3 hours ago, Number99 said:

Elastic....some nib flex.....how much I don't know.

I also had an Australian made Snorkel with a maxi-semi-flex (flexi) BB factory stub that I passed on to someone wanting it...........again, Sheaffer had to compete with the many Swan flexes.............Conway Stewart made pens with other than nail flexes. 

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

2 hours ago, mallymal1 said:

Hi 99,

The interpretation of the German translation is queried for confirmation.

The possible translations of "Elastische" into English are "Flexible", "Elastic", and "Resilient". However, it is a language and will change in context.

So I posted this in the sense of checking with a German expert.

As for my American Parker45 nibs, the slit is interrupted in the middle of the tip and breather hole. (Most of my Parker45's are made in the USA)

The English and French nibs I checked have six 14k nibs and one 18k. (I may be open to correction on the number of individuals)

The selection of individuals depends on the individuals obtained in the collection and the information received.

My post is not prepared for the purpose of discussion.

It is only a chat in the flow of the topic.

What about your 45 nibs?

5 minutes ago, Number99 said:

The interpretation of the German translation is queried for confirmation.

The possible translations of "Elastische" into English are "Flexible", "Elastic", and "Resilient". However, it is a language and will change in context.

So I posted this in the sense of checking with a German expert.

As for my American Parker45 nibs, the slit is interrupted in the middle of the tip and breather hole. (Most of my Parker45's are made in the USA)

The English and French nibs I checked have six 14k nibs and one 18k. (I may be open to correction on the number of individuals)

The selection of individuals depends on the individuals obtained in the collection and the information received.

My post is not prepared for the purpose of discussion.

It is only a chat in the flow of the topic.

What about your 45 nibs?

Thanks 99, I'm going to have a look through my nibs.

1 hour ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

I have no American P-45's just remember back when only the rich had color TV's my P-45 seemed harder than my Wearever's....which I can say have what I call regular flex nibs....in Esterbrook, Wearever and Venus came in that flex back int he day.

I was at an indoor flea market and I found an standard sized, English made  Jr. Duofold that thumbnail tested to a semi-flex!!!:yikes:A Parker that wasn't a nail...

Three stands later a rolled gold caped English made P-45 with a regular flex nib....again a Parker that wasn't a nail or a semi-nail. :unsure:

Still have both of those pens. ......................IMO and I do like balance.........the skinny Snorkel and the P-45 are the only two Large pens I've found with great balance for the Snorkel, as expected from a pen in that era and very good balance in the second generation long tapering pen body P-45.............those are the only large pens that I have that have good balance. The large MB146 is close but not quite well balanced....to my '50-60's era pen time.

Had and had a nail P-51 and a US semi-nail P-75 Have a nail Vac also. And a couple modern ones, (In they are nails, I have no idea which actually) my wife was allowed to run free at a flea market and bought those fountain pens for a lazy stay at home husband.

Elastic....some nib flex.....how much I don't know.

I also had an Australian made Snorkel with a maxi-semi-flex (flexi) BB factory stub that I passed on to someone wanting it...........again, Sheaffer had to compete with the many Swan flexes.............Conway Stewart made pens with other than nail flexes. 

Thanks @Bo Bo Olson.

I have noted in past posts that you have mentioned that the Parker 45 has flex.

(Please note that I am unfamiliar with the flex nature of the nib and have made some errors in my choice of words regarding it.)

I have also read posts where other members have mentioned that the Parker 45 made in England has flex.

However, I also know of situations where other members have denied there is any flex to it.

I have long noticed a difference in the shape of the nibs on the American Parker 45 and the English and French nibs. We thought that the difference might explain the difference in nib flexibility.

However, we were not sure.

Just recently, I was researching other pens using the technique of moving only the cell phone to Frankfurt.

Then I happened to come across an ad for the Parker 45 in Spiegel's.

The word "Elastische" stuck out in my mind's eye.

3 hours ago, mallymal1 said:

Hi 99,

Translated from DeepL.

Patronen- wechsel in komfort: 5 Sekunden! Tintenflasche und schmutzige Hände gehören der Vergangen.heit an. Elastische, aus- schraubbare Goldfeder, Präzisions- Tinten-regulierung, Metall-Steck. kappe und vieles mehr für DM 14,50 bis DM 50,-.

Cartridge change in comfort: 5 seconds! Ink bottle and dirty hands are a thing of the past. Elastic, unscrewable gold nib, precision ink regulation, metal plug cap and much more for DM 14.50 to DM 50.

If you would like to know more, please refer to the following information.