I got this pen today

DvdRiet

I got my shiny red Optima today!

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• PithyProlix

• Penguincollector

• DvdRiet

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After three attempts to order (and out of stock & cancelled) I finally have a Faber Castell Hexo EF Rose.

I ordered a pink ink at the same time - Pelikan 4001 Pink - eeeekkk... but NO definitely not for this pen.  Rose ain't pink. (Might put it in a nice plain grey or all black pen instead.) The Hexo Rose is an amazing colour - is it pale rose, mauve, purple, grey-pink or salmon? Depends on the light.

hexo.jpg.37d58ab0ba0b28fefc877bb83a9b370d.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

3 hours ago, AmandaW said:

After three attempts to order (and out of stock & cancelled) I finally have a Faber Castell Hexo EF Rose.

I ordered a pink ink at the same time - Pelikan 4001 Pink - eeeekkk... but NO definitely not for this pen.  Rose ain't pink. (Might put it in a nice plain grey or all black pen instead.) The Hexo Rose is an amazing colour - is it pale rose, mauve, purple, grey-pink or salmon? Depends on the light.

hexo.jpg.37d58ab0ba0b28fefc877bb83a9b370d.jpg

Ohhh, no, tonal combination of dusty/old rose and hot pink is definitely eeeeek! :o But each individually is lovely! Haha Love that black nib with the black trim - very nice!

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

8 hours ago, chromantic said:

I got my shiny red Optima today!

This requires a photo, I think!

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Absolutely drowning in pens now. Yesterday,

• five Majohn T5;
  • a Kaco Edge;
  • two Jinhao 35;
  • four generic piston-filled demonstrator pens with the same design as the PenBBS 494; and
  • a Platinum #3776 Century Laurel Green

arrived.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

14 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Absolutely drowning in pens now.

😂 It's a good thing you've got Inkvent calendar starting now then, isn't it!?!

3 hours ago, DvdRiet said:

This requires a photo, I think!

Red Optima.jpg

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

26 minutes ago, chromantic said:

Red Optima.jpg

very nice!!

9 hours ago, DvdRiet said:

It's a good thing you've got Inkvent calendar starting now then, isn't it!?!

If more of the Diamine Inkvent inks smell that way, I'm definitely going to need cheap sacrificial (or at least expendable) pens on hand!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

On 12/1/2021 at 1:08 PM, A Smug Dill said:

Absolutely drowning in pens now. Yesterday,

• five Majohn T5;
  • a Kaco Edge;
  • two Jinhao 35;
  • four generic piston-filled demonstrator pens with the same design as the PenBBS 494; and
  • a Platinum #3776 Century Laurel Green

arrived.

Wot? No partridge in a pear tree...

24 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

Wot? No partridge in a pear tree...

🤣

Sorry forgot, arrived yesterday but I didn't get home til late. A Pilot Custom 74 Turquoise with an EF nib. I knew already that the size, weight and shape would work for me because I've been using a black 74 SF since 2017. I do love the colour of this new one and the big Con-70 converter that came with it fills out the barrel nicely. And those dark translucent ends... I'm a fan.

large.pilot74.jpg.144bb125e2f52c0f786038ecfdd57659.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

9 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Sorry forgot, arrived yesterday but I didn't get home til late. A Pilot Custom 74 Turquoise with an EF nib. I knew already that the size, weight and shape would work for me because I've been using a black 74 SF since 2017. I do love the colour of this new one and the big Con-70 converter that came with it fills out the barrel nicely. And those dark translucent ends... I'm a fan.

large.pilot74.jpg.144bb125e2f52c0f786038ecfdd57659.jpg

What a fun, fresh color! Enjoy!

On 11/26/2021 at 8:00 PM, AmandaW said:

I received two pens today - they arrived in the post yesterday - but 'he who collected the post' forgot to pass the parcel. They are an orange and a blue Wing Sung 3003 - that's the Prera look alike - except they're bigger. That's my first impression. It will be interesting to compare the writing experience.

I have inked the blue with Waterman's Serenity Blue and my black Prera was already filled with Jacques Herbin's Gris de houle so it won't be an exact comparison, but good enough to test while I write them both to empty over the next few days.

I have a few of these.  They write very well, if a needle-fine line.

My latest?  Kaco Edge in brown.  This is supposed to be modeled after the Lamy 2000, except for an open nib and c/c filler.

I can state with conviction that while it looks and feels cool, it is the worst-writing pen I have ever used.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

On 11/27/2021 at 8:00 AM, AmandaW said:

I received two pens today - they arrived in the post yesterday - but 'he who collected the post' forgot to pass the parcel. They are an orange and a blue Wing Sung 3003 - that's the Prera look alike - except they're bigger. That's my first impression. It will be interesting to compare the writing experience.

I didn't realize they are a Prera copy - perhaps because I do not have a Prera! 

I have one WS 3003 but I bought it to hold a Plumix F nib. Before I swapped in the Plumix nib I did try it with the fine nib it came with: the nib itself was good but nothing special. As far as the rest of the pen: it is MUCH better than the Plumix and very preferable to the 78g's I was using for the same purpose. I like it so far. And it was the equivalent of about $1.00 USD, shipped. I hope you like it. 

56 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

I have a few of these.  They write very well, if a needle-fine line.

My latest?  Kaco Edge in brown.  This is supposed to be modeled after the Lamy 2000, except for an open nib and c/c filler.

I can state with conviction that while it looks and feels cool, it is the worst-writing pen I have ever used.

May I ask, what don't you like about the Edge? I got one a couple months ago with the EF nib but since the line width is more like a Japanese M I haven't used it much - that's not a width that I like. Other than that it seems OK enough to me ... 

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

20 minutes ago, PithyProlix said:

I didn't realize they are a Prera copy - perhaps because I do not have a Prera! 

I have one WS 3003 but I bought it to hold a Plumix F nib. Before I swapped in the Plumix nib I did try it with the fine nib it came with: the nib itself was good but nothing special. As far as the rest of the pen: it is MUCH better than the Plumix and very preferable to the 78g's I was using for the same purpose. I like it so far. And it was the equivalent of about $1.00 USD, shipped. I hope you like it. 

May I ask, what don't you like about the Edge? I got one a couple months ago with the EF nib but since the line width is more like a Japanese M I haven't used it much - that's not a width that I like. Other than that it seems OK enough to me ... 

I got the F nib.  It is hideously scratchy, and while the horizontal strokes seem all right, the upstrokes are all but invisible.  

The pen draws and releases water and ink all right, but the ink delivery is spotty.  The nib/feed alignment is where it should be.

Lighted loupe examinations have proven unrevealing.  The scratchiness is something I can feel with bare fingers.  It is de-inked now, and awaiting my further attention.

It looks REALLY cool, too.  😢

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

16 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

I got the F nib.  It is hideously scratchy, and while the horizontal strokes seem all right, the upstrokes are all but invisible.  

The pen draws and releases water and ink all right, but the ink delivery is spotty.  The nib/feed alignment is where it should be.

Lighted loupe examinations have proven unrevealing.  The scratchiness is something I can feel with bare fingers.  It is de-inked now, and awaiting my further attention.

It looks REALLY cool, too.  😢

Hmm, mine is smooth writing. No adjustments needed. Something must be off with yours - with that much scratchiness I'm surprised nothing revealed itself under the loupe. Frustrating, I'm sure! 

Sorry you got a dud - hope it can be fixed easily. 

A 1969 Pilot E-200 with a Posting nib. I actually received this pen a couple days ago but I am finally able to photograph it with decent natural light. (But I guess I should have wiped the ink off the nib first! 😀)

This is my first Posting nib. I've only used it for about a page but so far it is difficult for me to detect how writing with this Posting nib differs from typical Pilot F fingernail nibs circa the same time. The tines curve down ever so slightly starting just past the shoulders.

It's interesting that there's what looks like an ink window but, as far as I can tell, it doesn't seem functional because it seems to be wrapped tightly around the post of the feed - plus the cartridge is half full and, whether the pen is positioned nib up or nib down, there appears to be no difference in the color seen through the window.

In the first photo it is lying on its bigger sibling, a 1966 Pilot E-300. I've fallen in love with the E-300, which has a Script nib - both the looks and how well it writes. First impressions of this E-200 are very, very good.

IMG_20211205_134842-01.thumb.jpeg.a00898e88ab68e9b3589ccc79aa7b930.jpeg

IMG_20211205_135035-01.thumb.jpeg.bff908cce5249c8ddd0710897dc3a6b7.jpeg

And here's a pen I literally received less than one hour ago. I haven't even tried writing with it yet!

A 1970 full-length Pilot Elite with a Script nib and a fancy cap ring. In the first photo it's lying on top of a 1968 full-length Elite (which is pretty much an elongated version of the Elite pocket pen of the time). Although that looks like it might be an ink window between the silver and gold section rings, it's not.

I have two other Pilots with Script nibs - the E-300 pictured in my previous post and an Elite pocket pen. They are probably among my favorite nibs for long note-taking sessions, which is about 90% of my pen use.

IMG_20211205_144104-02.thumb.jpeg.fcaf1d9d354898404ced54fe0571775e.jpeg

IMG_20211205_150413-02.thumb.jpeg.9659dd5dd8b28b3991a20f1d2db72b2b.jpeg