I got this pen today

DvdRiet

1 hour ago, DvdRiet said:

the gold pattern on that Sheaffer is exquisite. 

I agree - the surface of the pen has the texture of that pattern - pretty cool. Another one is on the way with the same finish but also with a clip and beautiful cap band. I've never seen a Lady Skripsert here in Thailand and it is odd that these similar two came up at virtually the same time, and from different sellers. 

I almost forgot these two! Montblanc 221 14k extra fine-ish and tortoishell lacque Dunhill 14k made by Montblanc, based on the Noblesse. The Dunhill nib is a bit different - a slightly upturned medium-ish. 

My first Montblanc (and quasi-Montblanc). I am interested in the smaller Montblancs, not so much the larger ones, which seem to very much be the most desirable pens here of any make/model. My purchases are all opportunistic - if an interesting pen at a bargain price turns up, I'll buy it. 

IMG_20220120_171948-01.thumb.jpeg.54d948d37a910bc0e770e4962174eb81.jpeg

IMG_20220120_172044-01.thumb.jpeg.a30c15f180b92f05ab46a0f129e58e74.jpeg

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• PithyProlix

• Penguincollector

• DvdRiet

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

Latest additions, top to bottom:

• Pilot pocket pen, 14k F
  • Platinum pocket pen, 18k F
  • Pilot Elite pocket pen, 18k "SOFT" 
  • Waterman Le Man 100, 18k extra fine-ish
  • Lady Sheaffer Skripsert IV, steel extra fine-ish

All great pens. (didn't match the white balance in the two photos...) 

IMG_20220120_162306-01-01.thumb.jpeg.f345b6f2f913f96a61ddf297ed2c93ad.jpeg

IMG_20220120_162816-01.thumb.jpeg.974c72055ddc9170435c9f8bc548e816.jpeg

That top one, the Pilot Pocket pen, is very attractive!

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

4 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

That top one, the Pilot Pocket pen, is very attractive!

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

So far those joyful little lady Pilots have been consistently great writers too. I didn't used to think that they would be 'my kind of pen' but I love 'em. 

Here are the two sister Lady Sheaffers together - the bottom one just arrived. Note that the finish pattern is a little different between the two. 

I have yet to clean up the clipped one - hopefully I can polish up that cloudy section plastic. Also need to figure out how to remove the nipple from its converter so I can put a new ink sac in. 

IMG_20220122_150651-02.thumb.jpeg.c907a29103a162342ce6405a26953545.jpeg

IMG_20220122_153234-01.thumb.jpeg.ba9aa22817ee8d9241474593e68f6193.jpeg

22 minutes ago, PithyProlix said:

Here are the two sister Lady Sheaffers together - the bottom one just arrived. Note that the finish pattern is a little different between the two. 

I have yet to clean up the clipped one - hopefully I can polish up that cloudy section plastic. Also need to figure out how to remove the nipple from its converter so I can put a new ink sac in. 

IMG_20220122_150651-02.thumb.jpeg.c907a29103a162342ce6405a26953545.jpeg

IMG_20220122_153234-01.thumb.jpeg.ba9aa22817ee8d9241474593e68f6193.jpeg

Oh, I love them! That pattern is just fantastic! And it's interesting that they are such different pens.

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

8 hours ago, zeno701 said:

Black Diplomat Magnum. Not expensive but I really like the way it writes.

Nice! Despite collecting Diplomats, I don't actually have a Magnum but I've always heard very good things about them. Excellent quality for a functional writer and probably why they are one of Diplomat's most popular models, if not 'the' most popular. Enjoy your new pen!!

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

New pen day, a Pilot Custom 742 Waverley. It's not new, but as good as and my first #10 nib. I have it inked with Iroshizuku Yama-guri. The range of lines I'm seeing is extra fine through medium depending on the angle to the paper. Delighted.

large.pilot742_waverley.jpg.b3abacaf5efb30d8a150c596b83d6c22.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

46 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

New pen day, a Pilot Custom 742 Waverley. It's not new, but as good as and my first #10 nib. I have it inked with Iroshizuku Yama-guri. The range of lines I'm seeing is extra fine through medium depending on the angle to the paper. Delighted.

Great find! I would *love* to find a Waverly-nibbed Pilot here. Enjoy!

3 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Congratulations on the Custom 742.  I have a Custom 912 with the same WA nib and like it.  It works as well as my best vintage Sheaffer Waverly nibs.

Pen(s) in Rotation:

Majohn A1 (Extra-Fine) - Diamine Denim

Pelikan M200 Smoky Quartz (Fine) - Iroshizuku Yama-budo

Lamy 2000 Ballpoint - Lamy Black Medium Refilll

Another new pen today, a Lamy Aion, the green special edition. I also got a sample of the Diamine Twilight ink. So far I like everything about the pen, it's a good size for my large hands and it writes very smoothly. I got the medium nib. 

That's two new pens in a week. Actually the week before this I got an Esterbrook SJ, a nice gray one. I decided I must slow down on the purchases, and enjoy the new pens. Really. I must.

@zeno701 

Welcome aboard and we would love to see your pens and and inks.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

On 1/29/2022 at 1:40 AM, zeno701 said:

I decided I must slow down on the purchases, and enjoy the new pens. Really. I must.

While enjoying your new pens is definitely very important, you should probably know that this site is absolutely packed with enablers... 😅

And in the spirit of not slowing down on purchases, I got this burgundy pen today, an old Diplomat 150 from the 1960s:

large.IMG_2397.JPG.6215887e671c5b561bc6f9ff3cd9cad6.JPG

And I should probably mention that this pen is the fourth time I have broken my golden rule of collecting only one pen of each model. (On this model... there are others... only a couple though...) But I can't help myself with these neat colors and they are good little writers besides. 

large.IMG_2398.JPG.70b131af6ffc5454725e7b2fb5fefde0.JPG

See? This new burgundy one goes so nicely with the other four I already had, don't you think?!

32 minutes ago, DvdRiet said:

This new burgundy one goes so nicely with the other four I already had, don't you think?!

Oh yes, definitely. The other four seemed to need that touch of burgundy for balance and variety. Do they all have the same nib?

26 minutes ago, DvdRiet said:

And in the spirit of not slowing down on purchases, I got this burgundy pen today, an old Diplomat 150 from the 1960s:

large.IMG_2397.JPG.6215887e671c5b561bc6f9ff3cd9cad6.JPG

And I should probably mention that this pen is the fourth time I have broken my golden rule of collecting only one pen of each model. (On this model... there are others... only a couple though...) But I can't help myself with these neat colors and they are good little writers besides. 

large.IMG_2398.JPG.70b131af6ffc5454725e7b2fb5fefde0.JPG

See? This new burgundy one goes so nicely with the other four I already had, don't you think?!

It's like Parker 45 fountain pens for me - if a color I don't have comes up at a good price, I'll get it.

Handsome - or pretty - pen, depending on the color. The clip has a German art deco look, yes?

11 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

The other four seemed to need that touch of burgundy for balance and variety.

That is precisely what I was thinking! It just happened to be the perfect color to tie this whole little sub-collection together! So how could I not??? I don't know how many different colors there were and I've only seen one other green color in a photo, so I think it would just be wrong not to collect them all whenever I find them.

15 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

Do they all have the same nib?

Yes, oddly enough. The 150 model has a two-tone steel semi-hooded nib, but these all just happened to be EFs, even though I bought them at different times from very different places. It must have been pretty much the standard size at the time. What amazes me though, is that I was firmly an M nib writer and when I got the first one of these and saw it was EF, I thought there was no way I would be able to write with it. Now I absolutely LOVE them. I can load them up with a wet ink and they are so reliable and smooth (once I've realigned the years of usage on them), they just glide. I use them for note-taking all the time. I also didn't like hooded and semi-hooded nibs, but I have adjusted... ;)

17 minutes ago, PithyProlix said:

The clip has a German art deco look, yes?

I hadn't thought of that, but that's probably a very good description. It does have a very distinct look about it. It's probably my favorite of the Diplomat clips over the years. I do also like the earlier one that is a simpler, striated design with a cross medallion close to the top, but that's mainly when it's in combination with the wide gold cap band of Maltese crosses that I absolutely love! 

27 minutes ago, PithyProlix said:

It's like Parker 45 fountain pens for me - if a color I don't have comes up at a good price, I'll get it.

The Parker 45 is a very handsome pen! And it's good to have a favorite where you can collect ALL the colors! :)

39 minutes ago, PithyProlix said:

It's like Parker 45 fountain pens for me

I hit the order button for a Parker 45 about an hour ago!

My It will be my first older pen, my first Parker and my only tipped italic nib (a fine italic 14k).

So excited. I've been looking for a nicer italic pen since beginning to practice an italic hand a few years ago, with a break or two, picking it up again this past year with

more time to give.  The interest has never waned. I do hope this pen will be "the one".