• Penguincollector

• DvdRiet

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Arrived today and newly inked: an Opus 88 Picnic F with Sailor Waka-uguisi

large.opus88_wakauguisu.jpg.a9ab42684c174f7a9124fdb8ec5a80e6.jpg

Love all these greens together!! Very nice

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

1 hour ago, PithyProlix said:

Kuretake Mannen Mouhitsu #50 Honge Bekkou-cho, my first decent brush pen. Natural hair brush, takes Platinum-type cartridges.

The seller (one of my main pen suppliers - or maybe I should call him my pen-pusher or candy-man) surprised me with an aluminum, felt-tip brush pen. It has a squeeze sac filling system, not a converter but fixed. I am curious about it and if anyone can translate the Japanese and/or identify the pen, it would be much appreciated. 

I'm hoping to learn the dying traditional script of northern Thailand, called Tai Tham, which is the script used for the Lanna language, which is still widely spoken in northern Thailand. There are very few people who can read it (though my mother-in-law can), perhaps vanishing with the todays older generations. Most examples of the script are on Buddhist palm leaf manuscripts, which I think are mostly around 500-600 years old, stored in a few temples. The example Tai Tham palm leaf manuscript below is not my writing, of course!

IMG_20211208_135836-01.thumb.jpeg.13f3e39160cb6067bbe064d593039cd2.jpeg

IMG_20211208_141411-02.thumb.jpeg.a350aea50dcab33f355e599a0eaafbc2.jpeg

IMG_20211208_144509-01.thumb.jpg.8db0c590a451ba78895078b308314610.jpg

IMG_20211208_144024-01.thumb.jpg.582d44113471085778c425e52d75ea7d.jpgIMG_20211208_144043-01.thumb.jpg.7d50abce4f3166dfcffd29b853ec4ba2.jpgIMG_20211208_144054-01.jpg.ce4ddf62157b31afdba03eca033189cf.jpg

spacer.png

This is brilliant - both the pen and the story!! Good luck learning the Tai Tham! I just love hearing stories like this of preserving old cultures/traditions/languages/etc. Good on you for taking the time to do that! :) 

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

On 12/5/2021 at 4:56 AM, Sailor Kenshin said:

I got the F nib.  It is hideously scratchy, and while the horizontal strokes seem all right, the upstrokes are all but invisible.

The gold-coloured Schmidt steel F nibs used in the Moonman M100 and M200 (without being rebranded by Moonman/Majohn in the nib scrollwork), and the gold-coloured steel F nibs on the Kaco Edge (pens in blue or brown), all perform consistently for me — with tightly controlled ink flow, put down (I'd say) EF width grade lines, and have some softness in the material. I love them! One or two out of more than a dozen I've used were slightly scratchy out-of-the-box, but were easily fixed.

And I just received another new Kaco Edge in brown a week ago, too!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

32 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

The gold-coloured Schmidt steel F nibs used in the Moonman M100 and M200 (without being rebranded by Moonman/Majohn in the nib scrollwork), and the gold-coloured steel F nibs on the Kaco Edge (pens in blue or brown), all perform consistently for me — with tightly controlled ink flow, put down (I'd say) EF width grade lines, and have some softness in the material. I love them! One or two out of more than a dozen I've used were slightly scratchy out-of-the-box, but were easily fixed.

And I just received another new Kaco Edge in brown a week ago, too!

My Kaco Edge EF, silver color nib, writes like a Japanese M width, even when using the same paper and ink that stays true to nib width with other pens. (Otherwise I like the pen.) 

Do you have any experience with the same nib? 

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

24 minutes ago, PithyProlix said:

Do you have any experience with the same nib?

Yes, I have one of those as well.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

2 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

What is the line width like with yours, please? 

On 10/31/2021 at 10:31 AM, A Smug Dill said:

As far as my experience as an owner and user goes, the EF nib — which is only available on the black Kaco Edge — suck. They write too wetly and are too broad to qualify even as F nibs, when I compare them with the F nibs on the blue and brown Kaco Edge.

Today's Handsome Pen Modeling School arrivals: two 1969 Pilot E-300 pens, 14k Script and Soft F, and a [year?] Daimaru Deluxe, unknown small-ish 14k fingernail.

It's Daimaru the department store chain, not the large stationery store in Sapporo with a long history. My best guess right now is that Daimaru shopped this pen to Pilot circa 1960. There's no type marking on the nib - it seems very slightly springy but not flexy. I don't plan to ink it, at least for now, to find out.

A photo of the Daimaru paperwork is below. I believe it is a Showa year, correct? And the year number is x0, correct? If anyone can tell me what the first digit is, it would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_20211209_154137-02.thumb.jpeg.0b37249a535e1969c04f10a8f7f8988b.jpeg

IMG_20211209_143425_2.thumb.jpg.1ab13f8d08db0b75b0024d2caac79da1.jpg

21 minutes ago, PithyProlix said:

two 1969 Pilot E-300 pens, 14k Script and Soft F, and a [year?] Daimaru Deluxe, unknown small-ish 14k fingernail

Pretty! Can we see the nibs please... :blush:

Will work for pens... :unsure:

36 minutes ago, PithyProlix said:

Today's Handsome Pen Modeling School arrivals: two 1969 Pilot E-300 pens, 14k Script and Soft F, and a [year?] Daimaru Deluxe, unknown small-ish 14k fingernail.

Very handsome pens indeed!! Lucky you!

1 hour ago, PithyProlix said:

If anyone can tell me what the first digit is, it would be greatly appreciated.

Showa year 40 = 1965 A.D.

My Aurora Ferrari was waiting for me at work tonight. Finally!

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

2 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

Sorry, just a phone pic of the back sides. (My camera batteries need charging and I don't have a good light source.)

IMG_20211209_181944_1-02.jpeg.a199997d33641e68b660f599f1e27395.jpeg

Seems you got quite a nice haul there. How fun! Those little slits at the bottom do remind me more of a Manta ray's face than a fingernail, though ;) 

Sorry to keep spamming everyone with Diplomats (ok, sorry, not sorry) but this elegant bit of black lacquer from the early 2000s has just arrived in pristine condition in the original packaging and I couldn't be more pleased to add this Lord to my collection (despite the really stupid name...).

large.IMG_2309.JPG.1a819f0b8d040ad53614302fc5fdef6d.JPG

I'm amazed that it still even has the original tissue paper with Maltese cross!

And here's the obligatory nib shot:

large.IMG_2310.JPG.51fb2a68d4c4f15c70277d9c7afe3bc8.JPG

3 minutes ago, DvdRiet said:

Seems you got quite a nice haul there. How fun! Those little slits at the bottom do remind me more of a Manta ray's face than a fingernail, though ;) 

A pair of cyclops mantas! Perhaps the predecessors to the Jinhao shark pen??? :thumbup:

Two more vintage pens to come in the next day or two. I've passed on so many others, I swear!

29 minutes ago, chromantic said:

My Aurora Ferrari was waiting for me at work tonight. Finally!

Is this a special Aurora model? or is it a Ferrari pen made by Aurora? I'm very curious to see it! (I searched and only found examples of the latter)