Jump to content

I got this pen today


DvdRiet

Recommended Posts

This pen arrived today so I guess that makes it a New Pen Day. It's a pen turned by Haskoson, made of blue and orange/brown celluloid with a black ebonite cap and grip section. I like the feel of it already. It doesn't have a clip so I'm taking suggestions for a nice roll-stop for it! :)

 

large.1461064981_Haskosonblue-orange.jpg.815230e340f9172d3eae6a6d356d99ed.jpg

 

Anyone else get a fun new pen today?

 

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

 

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Misfit

    251

  • PithyProlix

    196

  • DvdRiet

    145

  • A Smug Dill

    125

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not today, but yesterday the orders from Goulet Pens and Anderson Pens came in, and the Goulet order included a Noodler's acrylic Konrad, Forbidden City (which I've wanted for several years now) and converters for the two Pelikan P22s I got at the Ohio Pen Show a couple of weekends ago.  

Everything got pre-flushed last night.  The Konrad now has Noodler's Heart of Darkness in it.  Haven't decided what will go in the two P22s yet (they weren't quite dry when I pulled them out of the votive candle holder with paper toweling in it this morning).

Your pen is nice, but I can't help thinking that a dark blue ebonite cap would have looked even better than the black.  Can't help you on roll stops, sorry -- all my pens either have clips or are ringtops.  But thinking that if you could find a gold-color one, it would look really good.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Not today, but yesterday the orders from Goulet Pens and Anderson Pens came in, and the Goulet order included a Noodler's acrylic Konrad, Forbidden City (which I've wanted for several years now) and converters for the two Pelikan P22s I got at the Ohio Pen Show a couple of weekends ago.  

Everything got pre-flushed last night.  The Konrad now has Noodler's Heart of Darkness in it.  Haven't decided what will go in the two P22s yet (they weren't quite dry when I pulled them out of the votive candle holder with paper toweling in it this morning).

Your pen is nice, but I can't help thinking that a dark blue ebonite cap would have looked even better than the black.  Can't help you on roll stops, sorry -- all my pens either have clips or are ringtops.  But thinking that if you could find a gold-color one, it would look really good.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

 

Oooh, I've just searched the Konrad Forbidden City - that's a very good-looking pen. Love the colors!

 

And yes, I agree that a blue cap would have been quite interesting on this pen. The orange is just a bit darker and more brownish than in the photo (it does pick up the light though), so the black is luckily not quite as stark in comparison as it looks here. And I am indeed thinking something nice and big and gold on the cap should do the trick. ;) 

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

 

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got my yellow Optima  last night, does that count?

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Indian Summer Kaweko Perkeo arrived today. I do like the murky yellow green!

 

That completes a little set of the four colours released in the first year. My delicious dilemma is now whether to look for the next few in the series.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I couldn't help myself! This was my most recent most definitely impulse buy...

 

large.IMG_2282.JPG.b52027aec3fb4b2cce4f8a01559de574.JPG

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

 

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, DvdRiet said:

I couldn't help myself! This was my most recent most definitely impulse buy...

 

large.IMG_2282.JPG.b52027aec3fb4b2cce4f8a01559de574.JPG

Gorgeous - is that the Stipula?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

Gorgeous - is that the Stipula?

 

 

That's what I've been told! (Haven't done a lot of research on it myself, but there wasn't much info out there in my admittedly short search of the interwebs.) 

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

 

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting, DvdRiet  The cap band is kinda cool looking.  But I'm confused by the clip... does the loop it's hooked into actually come open somehow, or is the clip not actually functional?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, inkstainedruth said:

Interesting, DvdRiet  The cap band is kinda cool looking.  But I'm confused by the clip... does the loop it's hooked into actually come open somehow, or is the clip not actually functional?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

 

The end of the clip is not a loop attached to the cap; it just looks that way because of the angle of the photo. It's a ring on the end of the clip itself (a ring through a ring). It's permanently welded together though, so it doesn't move or turn like the little barrel-shaped rings on the ends of the OMAS etc. clips. So it's a functional clip. I don't know how useful a clip it is, but it is functional! 

 

large.IMG_2286.JPG.faad8cf8ec68e1e1ee726f714b43d063.JPG

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

 

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I received two pens today - they arrived in the post yesterday - but 'he who collected the post' forgot to pass the parcel. They are an orange and a blue Wing Sung 3003 - that's the Prera look alike - except they're bigger. That's my first impression. It will be interesting to compare the writing experience.

 

I have inked the blue with Waterman's Serenity Blue and my black Prera was already filled with Jacques Herbin's Gris de houle so it won't be an exact comparison, but good enough to test while I write them both to empty over the next few days.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got the Conklin Endura, abalone and gun-metal grey, ef yesterday.

 

I wanted something wintery-looking and this one seems sort of dark but magical and wintery to me.  It's so pretty.  I won't use it, though, till either winter or some unofficial sign of practically winter . . . First snow, perhaps.  Or maybe when I just can't wait any longer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/26/2021 at 6:45 PM, DvdRiet said:

 

The end of the clip is not a loop attached to the cap; it just looks that way because of the angle of the photo. It's a ring on the end of the clip itself (a ring through a ring). It's permanently welded together though, so it doesn't move or turn like the little barrel-shaped rings on the ends of the OMAS etc. clips. So it's a functional clip. I don't know how useful a clip it is, but it is functional! 

 

large.IMG_2286.JPG.faad8cf8ec68e1e1ee726f714b43d063.JPG

That's really cool!  Thanks for posting the extra photo.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Lachryma said:

I wanted something wintery-looking and this one seems sort of dark but magical and wintery to me.

 

Then, there are the Fine Writing International's ‘Snow Scene’ and ’Winter Night’ in the Fenestro range.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/28/2021 at 1:57 AM, Lachryma said:

I got the Conklin Endura, abalone and gun-metal grey, ef yesterday.

 

I wanted something wintery-looking and this one seems sort of dark but magical and wintery to me.  It's so pretty.  I won't use it, though, till either winter or some unofficial sign of practically winter . . . First snow, perhaps.  Or maybe when I just can't wait any longer. 

 

I was expecting something very grey when I looked this one up but was surprised to see such a pretty blue and green in the abalone. It does indeed look quite magical! I would say use it as soon as you need to add a little everyday magic to your day. 😊 (But I do confess that I can never put off inking a new pen for very long!)

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

 

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These arrived last Friday (evening?) — and two out of three have problems. The following is a collage of what I sent AliExpress as documentation for the dispute I raised.

 

large.1716896578_Issueswithfountainpensreceivedon20211126fromAliExpress.jpg.5ca031efa93303edce2967db5e40ec3b.jpg

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

These arrived last Friday (evening?) — and two out of three have problems. The following is a collage of what I sent AliExpress as documentation for the dispute I raised.

 

large.1716896578_Issueswithfountainpensreceivedon20211126fromAliExpress.jpg.5ca031efa93303edce2967db5e40ec3b.jpg

 

Wow, Dill, that is a serious discrepancy with the ink reservoir. Huge difference! And too bad about the transit damage - hope you get it all sorted out without any trouble.

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

 

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, DvdRiet said:

Wow, Dill, that is a serious discrepancy with the ink reservoir. Huge difference! And too bad about the transit damage - hope you get it all sorted out without any trouble.

 

Thanks! AliExpress has jumped in to offer an alternative resolution (of returning the pen to the seller using the free return service, which I assume will cost the seller behind the scenes) of a 50% partial refund for me to call it good and keep the damaged Wing Sung 699. I accepted it.

 

As for the defective HongDian N1-S, the ball is in the seller's court. I just estimated (by measuring the relative lengths of the ink reservoirs, using pixel count) the pen only has ~56% of the ink reservoir capacity it ought to have.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was expecting a DHL package containing 11 items — across a stack of not yet completely fulfilled orders placed in the last seven months — last Monday; but, to my utter (and unhappy!) surprise, it inexplicably contained only one item.

 

Today, the rest of those (and a few more items) arrived in a second DHL package. Among them, as far as pens are concerned:

to join the Tibaldi Bononia Martini Olive that arrived last week.

 

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

I was expecting a DHL package containing 11 items — across a stack of not yet completely fulfilled orders placed in the last seven months — last Monday; but, to my utter (and unhappy!) surprise, it inexplicably contained only one item.

 

Today, the rest of those (and a few more items) arrived in a second DHL package.

 

I am very glad to read that they did!
I remember reading the post in which you wrote that your package had arrived with only 1 of the 11 items that you had ordered;  if that had happened to me I would have highly annoyed, and got straight on the phone to the vendor to ask them what the Vorsprung durch Technik was going on! :blush:

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Most Contributions

    1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
      43844
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
      33433
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
      28220
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
      26426
    5. jar
      jar
      26101
  • Upcoming Events

  • Blog Comments

    • bramley
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files






×
×
  • Create New...