• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jandrese

• DvdRiet

• inkstainedruth

• Paul-in-SF

2 hours ago, gtei said:

Nice pen. The texture on the pen is wonderful. The moon seems to be abalone/raden shell from the shine it gives off ?

Yes, the entire moon is raden sprinkled with silver powder. Good eye.

Yours is the first click-bait title I recall seeing on this site. I hope it does not lead to more of the same. 

1 minute ago, Paul-in-SF said:

Yours is the first click-bait title I recall seeing on this site. I hope it does not lead to more of the same. 

+1 (Didn't click precisely because of it!)

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

47 minutes ago, Paul-in-SF said:

Seriously?  As a title how is "Namiki Skipping" different? Has 440 views as I write this. Flushing evidently fixed the issue. My photo (the best one ever taken) of the incredible Namiki Emperor Goldfish has 199 views. That's not bad, but I've been on here since 2007 and like every forum the lamest stuff often gets the most views.

6 hours ago, jandrese said:

This is the new LE from Sailor, the Bespoke Maki-e King of of Pen Shika to Gekkou or Deer in Moonlight....

That is indeed a remarkable-looking, beautifully-finished pen :thumbup:
But nobody has yet asked you what is clearly the most-pertinent question about its multi-layered expert-artisan finish...

...is it officially certified as being impervious to the paw of a black cat? ;)

Wrt the idea of a click-bait title, I think that it shouldn't be a problem because you have given the thread appropriate tags (although I would like to add "Shika to Gekkou", "Deer in Moonlight", and definitely "eye-candy").
After all, the pen deserves to be easily-findable with the board's 'search' function in the future.

Slàinte,
M.

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

11 minutes ago, Mercian said:

That is indeed a remarkable-looking, beautifully-finished pen :thumbup:
But nobody has yet asked you what is clearly the most-pertinent question about its multi-layered expert-artisan finish...

...is it officially certified as being impervious to the paw of a black cat? ;)

Wrt the idea of a click-bait title, I think that it shouldn't be a problem because you have given the thread appropriate tags (although I would like to add "Shika to Gekkou", "Deer in Moonlight", and definitely "eye-candy").
After all, the pen deserves to be easily-findable with the board's 'search' function in the future.

Slàinte,
M.

Alas, the cat in the avatar passed a few years ago. The two current furry friends are not friendly to anything on the desk let alone pens!

5 hours ago, jandrese said:

Seriously?  As a title how is "Namiki Skipping" different?

You have deliberately mis-characterized the nature of this thread in the headline, just to get views. The OP of that thread did not do that, the problem was genuine (if relatively easily solved). 

Perhaps the reason your other thread has relatively few views is that there aren't so many people interested in reading about your acquisitions and the photographs thereof, as there are people willing to try to help someone with an actual problem. Just a guess, I could be wrong. 

9 hours ago, jandrese said:

click bait titles get the most views and this pen deserves to be viewed. The artwork is amazing and emotive.

Firstly, I disagree that the pen deserved “to be viewed” by others, specifically with the type and level of appreciation that reflects your own. Thank you for taking and sharing the photos, but that does not mean I think your sentiment inherently “deserves to be” echoed by fellow hobbyists.

Secondly, with a title beginning with something along the lines of “Sailor pen writes poorly”, you are baiting those who are keen to be helpful to fellow hobbyists with advice and solutions to problems, and not those who just browse for entertainment or come here in idle curiosity to be wowed. That is disingenuous, and I feel you're deliberately exploiting people's goodwill with the “click bait”, instead of treating the exercise as, ”Let me show you this object of beauty, if you have nothing better to do than to browse for eye candy online.”

If you want to attract appreciation for what you post, perhaps you should more carefully consider which group you are baiting. Nevertheless, you're free to do as you wish in that regard.

I'll just go and adjust my account settings in the meantime, since now I neither want to see what you own, nor feel there is any call to consider any genuine questions you may have for fellow forum members.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

1 hour ago, Paul-in-SF said:

You have deliberately mis-characterized the nature of this thread in the headline, just to get views. The OP of that thread did not do that, the problem was genuine (if relatively easily solved). 

Perhaps the reason your other thread has relatively few views is that there aren't so many people interested in reading about your acquisitions and the photographs thereof, as there are people willing to try to help someone with an actual problem. Just a guess, I could be wrong. 

I ran an experiment and had my hypotheses supported. Title and post edited. 

1 hour ago, A Smug Dill said:

Firstly, I disagree that the pen deserved “to be viewed” by others, specifically with the type and level of appreciation that reflects your own. Thank you for taking and sharing the photos, but that does not mean I think your sentiment inherently “deserves to be” echoed by fellow hobbyists.

Secondly, with a title beginning with something along the lines of “Sailor pen writes poorly”, you are baiting those who are keen to be helpful to fellow hobbyists with advice and solutions to problems, and not those who just browse for entertainment or come here in idle curiosity to be wowed. That is disingenuous, and I feel you're deliberately exploiting people's goodwill with the “click bait”, instead of treating the exercise as, ”Let me show you this object of beauty, if you have nothing better to do than to browse for eye candy online.”

If you want to attract appreciation for what you post, perhaps you should more carefully consider which group you are baiting. Nevertheless, you're free to do as you wish in that regard.

I'll just go and adjust my account settings in the meantime, since now I neither want to see what you own, nor feel there is any call to consider any genuine questions you may have for fellow forum members.

I ran an experiment and had my hypotheses supported. Title and post edited. Your points are appreciated and sorry if being part of my experiment ruffled your feathers. 

It is a very beautiful pen, jandrese.  There are times when I wish I could afford a pen like that -- and that I'm not so horribly allergic to the stuff that's in urushi.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Wow, what an absolutely gorgeous pen!! You must be very proud to own a lovely work of art like that! Thank you for sharing it with the rest of us.

And I mean that sincerely, not trying to troll, by the way. Unlike what ASD argues, while I may have 'better' things to do, I do like to stop and take a moment to enjoy the beautiful things in life - and that includes vicariously through admiring a beautiful piece of art that someone decides to share. 

ps - how does it write? (sorry, couldn't resist... ☺️)

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Love your posts jandrese. Infact your pic of the platinum izumo galaxy raden helped me to make my decision regarding the purchase. Thanks. Would love to have an uncapped shot too . ☺️

On 11/23/2021 at 3:55 AM, DvdRiet said:

Wow, what an absolutely gorgeous pen!! You must be very proud to own a lovely work of art like that! Thank you for sharing it with the rest of us.

And I mean that sincerely, not trying to troll, by the way. Unlike what ASD argues, while I may have 'better' things to do, I do like to stop and take a moment to enjoy the beautiful things in life - and that includes vicariously through admiring a beautiful piece of art that someone decides to share. 

ps - how does it write? (sorry, couldn't resist... ☺️)

Thanks, it writes perfectly with that Sailor feel. I like broad or naginata nibs (if one can get them!) on my Sailor KOP pens. The writing angle is best a bit lower than what I prefer but as a leftie I'm accustomed to changing my grip constantly. 

4 hours ago, rohit1974 said:

Love your posts jandrese. Infact your pic of the platinum izumo galaxy raden helped me to make my decision regarding the purchase. Thanks. Would love to have an uncapped shot too . ☺️

That is so awesome. I have my Galaxy at work and I looking forward to getting in the office and using it!  Eventually, you will be able to see the pen uncapped on my IG @revolvingpens. Cheers!

...as opposed to the "Sailor misspoke, deer in headlights" which just stammers and looks at it's feet, when it finally comes face to face with it's crush, rather than delivering the witty pick-up line it had rehearsed in the bathroom mirror at the bar.

David-

So many restoration projects...

:lticaptd:

Of course now I'm wondering -- if the universe ever decides that I should meet, shall I say, a Certain Person™ -- whether I'd be blushing and stammering and going all 14 years old again, or looking over the tops of my glasses and saying "Did you REALLY actually make X statement in front of a live microphone?" and generally rolling my eyes and face-palming....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Just received Sakura's email about this pen and was surprised to learn that there are only 50 of them available worldwide. A very nice acquisition indeed, that you've got yourself there! I'm also now invested in seeing what the rest of the 'to Gekkou' series will be like -> You will be purchasing them and sharing the photos with us here, won't you? ;)