Monthly Ink Quartett

InesF

On 5/7/2022 at 10:02 PM, LizEF said:

I love your Zentangle, @InesF!  Absolutely gorgeous.  Thank you for continuing to post these - you pick fabulous combos and the posts are a treat for the eyes. :)  Happy spring!

Hi @LizEF you are welcome! Thank you for your kind comment!

I'm motivated to do all 12 monthly Qartetts!

One life!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• InesF

• LizEF

• amberleadavis

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/7/2022 at 11:19 PM, dragondazd said:

Very nice! Great victorian vibe. 

Thank you @dragondazd, you are welcome!

Indeed I had such things in mind during drawing.

One life!

• 4 weeks later...

It's time for June Ink Quartett.

At first a drawing with the four inks. It is dedicated to @amberleadavis, a greeting card with best wishes and a small discovery about the origin of ghosts. 😇

80124211_202206Quartett1.thumb.jpeg.5cde1abe31138a40bf9dc9731ebba59a.jpeg

The ink colours are not to see that well, so I decided to make a photo from my ink database cards as well. There is a calligraphy headline, a swab and one line of text with every fountain pen I ever used the ink. This time also with the four pens of the month.

1559215492_202206Quartett2.thumb.jpeg.9f299461e13cf187def4be6363677818.jpeg

The June Quartett is:

Pelikan 4001 Violet in MB Princess Grace F-stub

Sailor Ink Studio 641 in Lamy Dialog cc F

Rohrer & Klingner Morinda in Waterman Perspective F

Rohrer & Klingner Royal Blue in Kaweco Special M-stub.

One life!

4 hours ago, InesF said:

At first a drawing with the four inks. It is dedicated to @amberleadavis, a greeting card with best wishes and a small discovery about the origin of ghosts. 😇

:lol:  Fabulous, absolutely fabulous!

Wonderful colors for the end of spring / start of summer. Thank you!

OOOOO Thank you!!!!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 4 weeks later...

The July Ink Quartett is special. It was a lot more effort to find four fitting inks - I had to try a lot this time. The setup that limited my choices was in the self restriction to use only fountain pens that I got for birthday. Santini Libra Voyager and Waterman Perspective Champagne were out, as I had used them before (in October, December and February). There were only four remaining:

Pelikano 2 (received 1968) - Dominant Indistry Leaf Green

Parker IM premium (bought by myself 2017) - Rohrer & Klingner Scabiosa

Harley Davidson (received 2021) - Pelikan Edelstein Ruby Red

Conway Stewart JR Mirage (bought by myself 2022) - Pilot Iroshizuku tsuki-yo

And here is my drawing for July:

1146761388_202207Farben1.thumb.jpeg.b81b0a4a2a50dc0ba9ec1f5bbbf2b6ed.jpeg

Unfortunately, the colours of the fine lines are not well represented in the photo.

Same as last month, the swatch cards with pens:

1213044037_202207FarbenFedern2.thumb.jpeg.5873cd9124454aa7dd260823732ddcbb.jpeg

(damm, I missed the entry with the Pelikano)

My oldest and my newest fountain pen, both are in the July rotation. The 54 years old Pelikano 2 is the smoothest writer of them all, the newest is the most beautiful.

One life!

Thank you for doing this, InesF!  You always manage to come up with interesting designs.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 1 month later...

The August Ink Quartett is ready. It consists of:

Rohrer & Klingner Cassia (in Diplomat Aero M-stub)

Iroshizuku ina-ho (in Aurora Optima CE)

Ferris Wheel Press Bluegrass Velvet (in Pelikan M600 Turquoise F-stub)

Herbin Rouge Grenat (in Pelikan Red Tortoise EF)

This set is among the best Quartetts, equal to February, which I loved the most so far. All combinations of either two or three of these inks fit well together.

Inspired by the Iroshizuku ink, I made grass the topic of this months drawing (but damm, the devil is in the detail: I mismatched the species names of wheat and rice ... 😃)

189018871_202208FarbenZeichnung.thumb.jpeg.d948b2b3ed1675cc121cc3452d0577f5.jpeg

And here the swab cards with the pens. Both stubs are self ground from M and F originals, respectively.

755024859_202208FarbenKarten.thumb.jpeg.28bebb4c5fc822441d31aa30146d5cdb.jpeg

Have a good summertime!

See you in September.

One life!

:) species schmecies. The drawing is wonderful. And you matched ink and pen amazingly. Thanks for another month of eye candy.

I just discovered this topic. @InesF is very artistic in addition to being a scientist. You also have very nice collection of fountain pens. Please keep up the good work. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

• 5 weeks later...

September Quartett is ready and already in use.

September has three muted and one warm colour, all four are shading nicely. Once again, all combinations of two or three colours fit well together.

The choice of fountain pens for using these inks was the hardest work since the beginning. There were only six pens left and three of them are not so good writers.

F. Schimpf Gelassenheit (in MB Virginia Woolf)

Robert Oster Sydney Darling Harbour (in Parker 51-2020)

KWZ Honey (in Stipula Adagio)

Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black (in Visconti vanGogh Irises)

770098539_202209FarbenSwab.thumb.jpeg.d2ef576ed376816f7d22ec9babe938ab.jpeg

At first, the swab cards with the four pens in the order as mentioned above.

1616763781_202209FarbenSchriftprobe.thumb.jpeg.8329333746084167c7fa9f296b743299.jpeg

A writing sample with four paragraphs, each written with one of the inks and with slightly different handwriting style (the nibs are comparably similar, not much variation was possible).

150973064_202209FarbenBild.thumb.jpeg.a9deb295d8030cf134415b2edfaac59e.jpeg

And finally, a drawing which can be used as postcard to write some greetings or a poem.

This is the twelfth installation of the Monthly Ink Quartett and it is the last.

My original intention was to make rules for myself that force me to use all of my pens (only 2 pens left) and to force me to find ink combinations that fit in a harmonic way to each other. I hoped a bit for contributions of other FPN members to make it a real CRV.

During the last (almost) 12 month I learned some new things about fountain pens, about inks and about ink presentations. The most important among those are using fountain pens I would not had selected at first and would not had used longer than for some days if not forced by my own rules to keep it a full month. Almost all of them turned out to be better writers than their first impression. I found some new favorites! 😃

For me, the experiment ends with end of September. Please feel free to continue and/or take any inspiration from it and transform it to your preferences.

I will continue silently with some fountain pen and ink rotations with new rules, except for always keeping a fountain pen for a full month. If I stumble over some surprisingly good combinations, I may add a post here.

Have a good time, stay healthy!

One life!

I'm sorry to see this series end. I enjoyed seeing the various inks and their pens. I guess that I can just back to check the old posts each month again. After one year, I probably will have forgotten the combinations. 😁

From time to time, I run across one of my old posts from years past. Sometimes I am amazed at how clever I was. 😉

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.