EFNIR: Diamine Twilight

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Diamine Twilight

This is review #145 in my series.  Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: This is a very dark, green-leaning teal. It's darker than De Atramentis Pigeon Blue (but otherwise similar in color), and greener than Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris.  Oddly, it looks much more blue when cleaning.  Perhaps it reacts with the paper to bring out the green.  Forgot to mention in the video that I like the color best on cream paper. The color in the screen capture is too dark, but the other images are pretty accurate.

Last chance to suggest enchantments for Quin & Makhabesh to choose... :)

And here is a screen of the final result, for those not interested in the video:
large.DiamineTwilight.jpg.852a0910e12fc853668b6213109f468d.jpg

Scan of Completed Review:
large.DiamineTwilightS.jpg.721bfdf8f2aaa1a4e291476d1b135bcb.jpg

Zoomed in photo:
large.DiamineTwilightZ.jpg.55fbd0cfc395b49029c6f00ad004201a.jpg

Absorbent Paper Closeup (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper):
large.DiamineTwilightAP.jpg.5337df23a17bff39142cef6cfa46bc35.jpg

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap

Previous Review: Kobe #38 Kitano-zaka Night Blue.

Want to influence the inky sequence?  Take the "next ink" poll.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh?  Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy.  Comments appreciated!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• Sailor Kenshin

• mizgeorge

• InesF

Hi @LizEF.

Thanks for this new review - it's one more of those almost black inks. At least it looks like Green Hole.

All together, not more than one of those Coloured Hole inks (black-red, black-blue and black-green) would be needed. But one of each is a must, I guess.

The story develops also in an interesting way - more cliffhangers than before, isn't it? My week is meanwhile organised around expected publication date for the next story part ...

Haha, not so far. But I'm really looking forward to the next paragraph. 😎

One life!

20 minutes ago, InesF said:

Thanks for this new review

:) You're very welcome.

20 minutes ago, InesF said:

it's one more of those almost black inks. At least it looks like Green Hole.

All together, not more than one of those Coloured Hole inks (black-red, black-blue and black-green) would be needed. But one of each is a must, I guess.

:lol: The Rabbit Hole of Many Colors!  The "Almost Black" wing is special, just for you.

21 minutes ago, InesF said:

The story develops also in an interesting way - more cliffhangers than before, isn't it?

:D Probably so.  I wanted to go into detail with the staff, since it's so important for Quin.  And I don't want my reviews to take multiple pages, or add minutes to the video, so I have to chop off the scenes.  (I'm trying to write the full width of the page these days so I can get another sentence or two to fit.)

23 minutes ago, InesF said:

My week is meanwhile organised around expected publication date for the next story part ...

Haha, not so far. But I'm really looking forward to the next paragraph. 😎

:lticaptd::wub: Thank you!

Thank you @LizEF for another excellent review. 

This is one of those inks that I think can be a bit of chameleon - with a lot of variation depending on both paper and pen - I don't particularly like it in finer nibs, but use it quite a lot in broader ones.

I also have a version with added teal shimmer for a specific pen, for which it works beautifully!

1 hour ago, mizgeorge said:

Thank you @LizEF for another excellent review.

You're welcome!  And thanks.

This is one of those inks that I think can be a bit of chameleon - with a lot of variation depending on both paper and pen - I don't particularly like it in finer nibs, but use it quite a lot in broader ones.

This is my first use of the ink (often the case with all these new samples), so I don't know, but I can see it - paper color and absorbency could have a big impact.  I suspect this is another that will be more interesting in a stub nib. :)

I also have a version with added teal shimmer for a specific pen, for which it works beautifully!

:lol:  Teal + teal, huh?  I'm envisioning greeting cards.

1 minute ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Haz.  Likes.

:)

That is ONE cool tree!

:D

Thanks for the review, and the story!  👍🏻

You're very welcome!

This was one of the first inks I bought. I loved the color but found it a horrible bleeder, possibly partially down to an M in a wet pen. Perhaps I might have had better results in a dry EF.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

9 minutes ago, chromantic said:

This was one of the first inks I bought. I loved the color but found it a horrible bleeder, possibly partially down to an M in a wet pen. Perhaps I might have had better results in a dry EF.

I just checked the absorbent and copy paper, and it does try to bleed, as do some of the others.  But it was fine on FP-friendly paper.

A nice-looking dark teal - would be great for work, but it doesn’t seem to like the cheaper paper. It’s almost all recycled copy paper at work, so fine nibs are a must and even then only a fraction of my inks seem to be suitable. Except in my own notebooks obviously 😉 

That tree seems to be a high-calibre magical entity. I’m betting the staff will be astonishing… in my mind I already see the colour octarine pulsing through the air. For those mortals who are unfamiliar with that colour… it’s for wizards & cats only.

4 hours ago, namrehsnoom said:

A nice-looking dark teal - would be great for work, but it doesn’t seem to like the cheaper paper. It’s almost all recycled copy paper at work, so fine nibs are a must and even then only a fraction of my inks seem to be suitable. Except in my own notebooks obviously 😉 

If you were American (where your co-workers have likely never even heard of fountain pens), and you were discrete about your FP use, then you could have great fun with this ink...  When someone brings you a page with the writing all hairy, you could gasp in horror and rant about how the paper is clearly growing mold!  (Then maybe they'd switch papers. :D )  Or you could casually dismiss it with a comment like, "My pen was having a bad hair day." :lticaptd:

4 hours ago, namrehsnoom said:

That tree seems to be a high-calibre magical entity. I’m betting the staff will be astonishing… in my mind I already see the colour octarine pulsing through the air. For those mortals who are unfamiliar with that colour… it’s for wizards & cats only.

:D :D

• 3 months later...

Here's the line width measurement. The line is one of those used for dry time.  Magnification is 100x.  The grid is 100x100µm.  The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each.  The line width for this ink is roughly 300µm.

large.DiamineTwilightLW.jpg.d4291582e3e5cbcaa6e3167b1e1dc294.jpg