Majohn A1 (a capless clone)

VillersCotterets

While my stealth black has the Moonman logo repeated where the barrel and section unscrew, I had admired the machine work there on the chrome/lacquer models. I see all the models are going to the logo there, so I’m tempted to get a clipless model with the machined pattern at the barrel/section point. 

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J120

• A Smug Dill

• Karmachanic

• Helen350

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/22/2022 at 6:46 AM, J120 said:

@Dan Carmell I am interested if Dagong's sealing mechanism is more A1 or Lanbitou 3088. Looking forward to your impressions of it. 

Just some early notes: the pen body is completely utilitarian, without design accents, letting its overall design speak for itself. The section and barrel screw together with metal on metal screws, making for a solid feeling pen. The plastic gripping area serves the purpose and does not feel loose or junky—the knurling is deep. I was interested to note the model number (56) and ‘Wuhan’ engraved on the barrel; Wuhan and the Dagong logo on the nib; and the logo and 56 on the squeeze filler. I assume Dagong was based in Wuhan?

The nib unit looks much like the Pilot version, with the tab to align the unit inside the section, but the nib is shaped rather differently and I believe the squeeze filler is permanently attached. 

I filled the pen with Waterman Blue. It wrires a true Fine (by which I mean like a Pilot/Sailor fine) with just a touch of tooth, which I like. The seller (from Singapore, with very good English), seemed knowledgeable and said the nib was copper. I can’t ascertain that, but if it is, it’s certainly a harder alloy than pure copper. Although the tines are relatively long compared to the base of the nib, there is very little flex. My impression is that the nib does not have tipping material, but that it was just shaped and smoothed, as was once very common in all markets. 

The button to extend/retract the nib requires a sort of ‘double click’ to extend and lock the nib open. It’s subtly different than the easy, smooth ballpoint-like click of the Airborne or VP. It also required more force than my arthritic right thumb could take, although that may have been due to age and disuse (the pen’s, not my thumb —okay, maybe the thumb too).

The grip and clip is the big issue for many with the VP. Airborne smartly addresses this by putting the clip at the click button end, which is quite normal for most pen users. I have not had an issue with the several VP clip generations I’ve used, and I had no issues with this pen. The clip is not especially low profile, yet it didn’t bother me at all. I do suspect that those who dislike the VP grip would not like this ‘clip grip’ either, or even dislike it more because its edges are not rounded as is the VP. But for me, The clip presented no problem and the clip focuses my grip so it’s a positive in that way. 

I do think the clip may be the weak point of the pen. It has good elasticity, but is secured to the body with metal tabs, which always seems an inferior design to me and generally was a sign of an inferior model in the heyday of American FP production. 

Okay, it writes, but can it write again? Does the trap door trap and the seal seal? Yes! I inked it, let it sit about two hours and returned to it, and it wrote instantly, just as it had freshly inked. I left the pen on my kitchen table with a pad and tried it several more times over the afternoon—it wrote every time. I got busy and tried it again late before bedtime—it wrote just fine. Next morning, today, every time I pick it up, it writes. 

The pen is more than competent, it’s a stainless steel classic, just what it should be and nothing more. I certainly hope more examples are still floating around within China for collectors because it seems another example of the vitality of Chinese pen making. 

Wouldn’t it be interesting to hear from the designer/machinists about making this pen and learning from them why it wasn’t a market success?  My guess is that they were simply ahead of their time. 

812D1BD1-F3B1-4ADF-903B-2977F8DF0EA6.jpeg

Thank you for a very interesting review.

I found a Chinese review article for this model. I think it supports and complements your review.

For Wuhan Dagong, search Google for "武汉金笔厂"(Wuhan Golden pen factory) and select an image to see a lot of Taobao lists. 

I'd like to paste the link address, but the link to this kind of search result does not work correctly, and it will be invalid soon, so it is recommended to copy the Chinese keyword and do a Google search.

I suspect that the speculation as to why this fountain pen was unsuccessful was simply due to patent issues that could only be sold in certain economies.

About capless type fountain pens I am an outsider, but I like fountain pens with such a nostalgic and robust design.

https://www.nonopen.com/1291.html

• 2 weeks later...

The elusive white clipped version finally in the wild. Green and Blue Clip in route. Hopefully the nib units get released if  manufacturing picks up over the summer.

large.20220702_150312.jpg.fb78fd32340b29fb2a59b160a870930c.jpglarge.20220702_150325.jpg.1bed1bc557f12b603a0517a8cec4ab7a.jpglarge.20220702_150359.jpg.175c4ad51285abec61ad5d97362883da.jpg

So now it seems we have three variations of the trim between section and barrel: diagonal machine work, repeated Moonman logo, and just smooth metal work, which I’ve been seeing on AliExpress—cropped screenshot of the last below. 

I did order the clipless gloss black with the diagonal motif during the just ended sale to contrast with my clipped stealth black. 

65B1D674-AC81-4604-8C4F-473882634006.jpeg

Blue and Green Gloss Clipped versions arrived. Majohn version is more a sky blue. The green is magnificent. 

large.20220706_122139.jpg.2607efbfcd6b24064cfaeb18b5c045c1.jpglarge.20220706_122146.jpg.815e85baf76addc777348c3f64514724.jpglarge.20220706_122155.jpg.4a82489ee52c0b59496c49871a2926be.jpglarge.20220706_122235.jpg.32614b75822cd0522be79decdae76dc8.jpglarge.20220706_122239.jpg.8edbbceab6f1af378b916ed09304bf88.jpg

1 hour ago, J120 said:

Blue and Green Gloss Clipped versions arrived. Majohn version is more a sky blue. The green is magnificent. 

large.20220706_122146.jpg.815e85baf76addc777348c3f64514724.jpglarge.20220706_122155.jpg.4a82489ee52c0b59496c49871a2926be.jpglarge.20220706_122235.jpg.32614b75822cd0522be79decdae76dc8.jpglarge.20220706_122239.jpg.8edbbceab6f1af378b916ed09304bf88.jpg

Ordered that light blue clipped A1 last week.  Can't wait for it to arrive.  Currently have

the matte black A! with a VP broad nib unit in place; and the orange A1 with the original

nib unit.  As I'm enjoying the looks of that green, which would go well with my Diamine

Sherwood Green ink, I've got to order it with my next check.  I see you've got both the

clipped and clipless models.  I plan on ordering a VP med. nib unit, affording me varied

writing experiences with the three A1s.  Wish MaJohn would offer us a med & broad

nib unit we could purchase separately.

9 minutes ago, Helen350 said:

Ordered that light blue clipped A1 last week.  Can't wait for it to arrive.  Currently have

the matte black A! with a VP broad nib unit in place; and the orange A1 with the original

nib unit.  As I'm enjoying the looks of that green, which would go well with my Diamine

Sherwood Green ink, I've got to order it with my next check.  I see you've got both the

clipped and clipless models.  I plan on ordering a VP med. nib unit, affording me varied

writing experiences with the three A1s.  Wish MaJohn would offer us a med & broad

nib unit we could purchase separately.

There are pandemic related issues affecting manufacturing so there is no tell when we will be getting individual nib units or if they will come in anything but the standard WMF nib. It works well but Pilot is getting the nib unit business until we start getting aftermarket or Flagship options from Majohn. 

I use the clipless models as desk pens. 

3 hours ago, J120 said:

@Dan Carmell The smooth metal version is interesting.  Do you have a store or seller name? Curious of it is a Majohn or a tribute bands tribute band.

Isn’t it? That photo was taken from an ad by Mary’s, a store you’ve likely bought from. I saw multiple ads browsing AliExpress with multiple colourways showing the smooth band.  I just checked eBay and found smooth bands very quickly, from a China-based seller named ‘topwaybeauty.’  I had a mildly negative purchase interaction with this seller, I believe. 

36 minutes ago, Dan Carmell said:

Isn’t it? That photo was taken from an ad by Mary’s, a store you’ve likely bought from. I saw multiple ads browsing AliExpress with multiple colourways showing the smooth band.  I just checked eBay and found smooth bands very quickly, from a China-based seller named ‘topwaybeauty.’  I had a mildly negative purchase interaction with this seller, I believe. 

I found some smooth bands on AliExpress also. I want to pull the trigger out of curiosity but I am also wondering if this is photoshop. During the early Majohn/Moonman drama, the C3 model has the Moonman scrubed out but in fact the pens still were delivered with the Moonman branding. No idea of this is a coincidence or something else is happening. 

It’s interesting that several sellers on AliExpress have a mix of pens banded with either the Moonman logo or the smooth band. I didn’t try to track what colourways were associated with which band style. There was an odd glare or smoothness to the images, so your hesitation is probably justified. 

On 7/7/2022 at 6:46 AM, J120 said:

I found some smooth bands on AliExpress also. I want to pull the trigger out of curiosity but I am also wondering if this is photoshop.

large.187196754_DoctoredmattblackMajohnA1productimageinMsSonAliExpress.jpg.04d24f88ced8a50b1d4ccde5305979d1.jpg 

On 7/5/2022 at 3:24 PM, Dan Carmell said:

So now it seems we have three variations of the trim between section and barrel: diagonal machine work, repeated Moonman logo, and just smooth metal work,

I don't think those round marks are the (old) Moonman logo. Isn't it just ?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

3 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

large.187196754_DoctoredmattblackMajohnA1productimageinMsSonAliExpress.jpg.04d24f88ced8a50b1d4ccde5305979d1.jpg 

This could be a market saturation issue. New releases and initial frenzy diminishing, how much inventory these individual sellers have in stock could be a reason. The matte black version alone will have no trouble being a part pen or replacement nib unit buy for years to come.

There are reputable sellers showing these but the flagship store does not have them in the current 15 list inventory. 

There is also the real possibility someone is doing a M2 or Delike Alpha esque reproduction of a generic A1 model. (See the Lanbitou 3062 / unbranded generic alpha pens or the injection modeled smaller M2 models.)

Very odd. 

@A Smug DillYour detective work with the images clearly reveals some type of masking, for obscure reasons. Either the Moonman logo or the diagonal work seems more interesting than a relatively wide smooth area. 

On 6/22/2022 at 1:46 PM, Dan Carmell said:

While my stealth black has the Moonman logo repeated where the barrel and section unscrew,

On 7/5/2022 at 3:24 PM, Dan Carmell said:

So now it seems we have three variations of the trim between section and barrel: diagonal machine work, repeated Moonman logo, and just smooth metal work,

On 7/8/2022 at 3:15 PM, Dan Carmell said:

It’s interesting that several sellers on AliExpress have a mix of pens banded with either the Moonman logo or the smooth band.

I'm having trouble understanding why you keep insisting it's the Moonman logo, when I've seen absolutely nothing that supports that claim. I had a matt black Majohn A1 with clip (which I gave away a week ago), just as you do; and my pen didn't have the Moonman logo on the ring in the middle. The marketing images provided by Majohn show nothing resembling the Moonman logo, and even the text in those images describes the pattern as something else:

large.2030712495_ItsnottheMoonmanlogoontheMajohnA1swaistlinering.jpg.81c90f696cf55fc0c8e16420407e39c5.jpg

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

@A Smug DillYou may be a little worked up over a simple matter of my ignorance! When I referenced the Moonman logo, I simply meant the circle and line logo. I am a little new to Chinese pen makers, and yes, I do get a little confused between multiple names and logos. If you were uncertain, no, I do not read Chinese. 

I question why you needed a full post, with graphics, red letter call outs, and magnified areas to call my little error, although those are quite impressive from a technical graphics viewpoint. So bravo for that. 

Next time, consider something simple and direct, like “Hey Dan, that’s not the Moonman logo, that’s the XXXXX logo.” Because I still don’t know whose logo the circle & line logo is, in spite of your numbered paragraphs and graphics.

Collectors generally don’t hector and lecture one another—it’s rude and impolite. 

Dan Carmell

9 hours ago, Dan Carmell said:

Next time, consider something simple and direct, like “Hey Dan, that’s not the Moonman logo, that’s the XXXXX logo.”

On 7/8/2022 at 4:53 PM, A Smug Dill said:

I already did that, but it seems the point wasn't sinking in.

Because I still don’t know whose logo the circle & line logo is,

It is a pattern to resemble slotted screws (cf. actual slotted screws all around a variant of the Majohn RS1), according to the manufacturer's description. Nothing more. The assumption that it must be a logo of some brand or company is incorrect.

Collectors generally don’t hector and lecture one another—it’s rude and impolite.

This is a hobbyist forum and a discussion forum. If you put information out there — in ignorance (your word!), in good faith, or otherwise — in the open that may mislead other hobbyists, and I see the error and can prove it, then I'm going to speak up and correct you, because the correctness of information trumps individuals' feelings in my book every time, irrespective of whether they feel it is rude and impolite to be openly corrected.

The benefit of numerous, unidentified others having correct information about a product is far more important a consideration than what that does for or does to your knowledge, ego and/or reputation in the community.

Edited by A Smug Dill
added reference to the Majohn RS1