Majohn A1 (a capless clone)

VillersCotterets

On 11/22/2021 at 12:02 PM, Karmachanic said:

There is no universal criterion.

Respectfully, that is a universal statement. My point is not to criticize you, nor to be argumentative, but to observe that the subject of morals cannot be discussed without appealing to a universal. Not a matter of whether there is a universal, but which one, and by what standard one comes to that universal. If you'd like to continue discussing this via direct message, the next question I would ask is by what standard did you come to that universal conclusion, that there is no universal criterion? (I say "direct message" out of respect for this thread - the OP certainly did not wish this to turn into a metaphysical discussion 🙂.) Cordially, Jed

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J120

• A Smug Dill

• Karmachanic

• Helen350

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 3/11/2022 at 6:57 AM, J120 said:

Desk pens for the home office and a comparison of Pilot Orange/Tan versus Majohn's version.  The Majohn is darker.

20220310_174813.jpg

20220310_174652.jpg

I have to ask: On the red model, is it really that vibrant a red or is it closer to a burgundy?

On 4/3/2022 at 5:12 AM, J120 said:

It's really that red. Gloss colors on this round of colorways

I can’t find it now, but didn’t you recently comment that if one sees a colorway that’s desirable, buy it without waiting long because it may be gone? I’ve thought of that comment at least three times this week, as I’ve searched for different colorways I liked very much but which are apparently gone, gone, gone, at least for someone without Chinese language skills. Too bad, but pen collecting is alway like that. Perhaps it would not be as fun if every pen was easy to find and buy. In truth, buying and learning about the newest Chinese models has been more fun than I’ve had in years. It’s also a reminder of the ever increasing capability of Chinese manufacturing in general. 

The White Clip model has been out of stock for awhile, thus if you like a particular model, buy when you see it. On the plus side, it is early doors for what they can and most likely will do with the model. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just received the clipless model and after a day's use, I'm generally impressed. Using Aurora Black, it's a surprisingly nice writer.

My only complaint is a noticeable sweet spot. Holding it just right, the A1 is smooth as silk. Give it a twist and it doesn't write at all — though not scratchy or anything.

I once owned a Vanishing Point, but my grip didn't get along with the clip so I returned it. Thus this clipless A1 is right down my alley.

Just curious if the sharp drop-off on the sweet spot seem commons for the A1 just a manufacturing variation.

cheers!

1 hour ago, g33klibrarian said:

Just received the clipless model and after a day's use, I'm generally impressed. Using Aurora Black, it's a surprisingly nice writer.

Just curious if the sharp drop-off on the sweet spot seem commons for the A1 just a manufacturing variation.

cheers!

I have the stealth black with a clip and it’s a very nice writer—a good reason not to risk my VPs since I enjoy the A1 just as much. I do want to get the clipless model but thought I’d wait for additional colorways. I like the bright touch of the machining at the joint. 

Colourway: a combination of colours.  As per the dictionary.

Colour combos yet to be seen on these pens, so well have to make do with just 'colour'.  Mine's matte black :D

Add lightness and simplicate.

On 4/20/2022 at 5:39 AM, g33klibrarian said:

My only complaint is a noticeable sweet spot. Holding it just right, the A1 is smooth as silk. Give it a twist and it doesn't write at all — though not scratchy or anything.

I once owned a Vanishing Point, but my grip didn't get along with the clip so I returned it. Thus this clipless A1 is right down my alley.

cheers!

That checks out. Got the same model and had the same experience; after a quick run on micromesh, it became a daily driver.

I just got one recently and I'm really pleasantly surprised! The nib is very smooth, came perfectly aligned. I only wish the flow could be better, I inked it up with Waterman Serenity Blue and it is just a little dry. I probably won't use it with some of my favorite inks that are less lubricated like R&K Alt-Goldgrün. 

I kinda got it as a "preview" when I inevitably get a Pilot VP or Decimo and it's been super helpful in that regard! I like this pen a ton but it is a bit heavy and chunky for my small hands so I know in the future I'll be looking at a Decimo and not a VP. Cool pen!!

Reminder to everyone to be nice to each other.

So, I did see that one of the Majohn pens will hold the Pilot Parallel nibs. I am excited!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

6 hours ago, LoveBigPensAndCannotLie said:

I just got one recently and I'm really pleasantly surprised! The nib is very smooth, came perfectly aligned. I only wish the flow could be better, I inked it up with Waterman Serenity Blue and it is just a little dry. I probably won't use it with some of my favorite inks that are less lubricated like R&K Alt-Goldgrün. 

I kinda got it as a "preview" when I inevitably get a Pilot VP or Decimo and it's been super helpful in that regard! I like this pen a ton but it is a bit heavy and chunky for my small hands so I know in the future I'll be looking at a Decimo and not a VP. Cool pen!!

Wet ink is definitely the way to go with it, I feel.

Cross (rebranded Pelikan) Black wouldn't flow, Lamy Black was alright, but Iroshizuku Murasaki works like a dream

• 1 month later...

The Flagship store on Taobao confirmed the ongoing pandemic issues out East are delaying the A1 nib units being released.  

I started ordering Pilot VP stubs and broads. Pandemic aside, this was always the scenario where Pilot and the retailers still benefit from this pen.

The A1 is only offered in F at the moment. For $70-80 you get the variety sought from Pilot. The A1 market has settled at $35 stateside. The steel nib Capless is $80 but it does come in a M. So $105 to 115 minimum is a B-Stub frankenpen v $156 for the VP. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pilot will continue to win the nib unit replacement/variety battle until Majohn is able to provide an alternative option for those who seek it on the A1.  The standard A1 nib unit is fine IMO, but I like stubs and broads for certain note taking tasks. 

20220607_133806.thumb.jpg.30d1334753eda9568359963a3eda3141.jpg

@Dan Carmell It is similar to the Lilly 910. Neither have a trap door thus no sealing capability. Not that some form of door is the end all to adequate sealing.  Looking at you Lanbitou 3088. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2022 at 11:29 PM, A Smug Dill said:

… before I know anything about the pen's sealing effectiveness against ink drying out when the nib is retracted.

On 1/1/2022 at 3:45 PM, A Smug Dill said:

p.s. Switching to Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black, and using the cartridge and metal shell as the ink reservoir, before handing the pen over to my wife …

I checked that unit of the Majohn A1 just now, and the cartridge filled with Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black at the very beginning of 2022 is still half-full. I don't know when my wife last used the pen, but there was no hard start when I extended the nib and wrote with it.

Therefore, I must say I'm very impressed with its sealing effectiveness. So much so, I just ordered a clipless unit in pearlescent(?) green for US$28 shipped and taxed (10% Australian GST), since my wife doesn't mind the slick, glossy lacquered finishes on Pilot Capless Vanishing Point pens as much as I do.

This matt black unit with clip is getting cleaned, ahead of giving it away to a friend of ours next week. Maybe it'll be the gateway pen to interest her in collecting capless fountain pens.

In the meantime, my wife has taken custody of my 2012 Limited Edition Vanishing Point pen, which I don't and won't use because of its aforementioned slick, glossy finish and its Medium nib. I was somewhat inclined to give it to another friend of ours, but since my wife wants it, I guess that's hers to keep. :)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

On 6/7/2022 at 4:26 PM, J120 said:

@Dan Carmell It is similar to the Lilly 910. Neither have a trap door thus no sealing capability. Not that some form of door is the end all to adequate sealing.  Looking at you Lanbitou 3088. 

I have poor impulse control and bought the Dagong 56. It arrived today, and surprise, it does have a trap door!  It looks like a bit of plastic on a hinge, opening much like a modern VP. I haven’t inked it yet, more after I have. 

A1F47232-5C9B-467D-A3AC-21152AF8B8A4.jpeg

A5C5ADA0-A06D-45D7-914A-20340321847C.jpeg

FAF53000-F1AE-4437-B1F7-C54B619983F5.jpeg

8792E0E3-1750-499E-AD23-AC2A29FDB2FB.jpeg