Majohn A1 (a capless clone)

VillersCotterets

OCArt, 

As Smug said, you have to be on Taobao or JD to see the flagship stores and to order from them. It was worth it for me. Google translate, an independent account not attached to anything you value, and patience are key. 

Happy hunting 

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J120

• A Smug Dill

• Karmachanic

• Helen350

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/1/2022 at 11:45 AM, A Smug Dill said:

The Pilot Capless rhodium-plated 18K gold EF nib I have here lays down lines of ~0.2mm wide with Platinum Carbon Black ink on Rhodia DotPad 80g/m² paper (2020 stock, on which I note the sizing/coating is different from older stock I have). I note that there is some woolliness in the outlines of the ink marks; I wouldn't have expected that with Platinum Carbon Black on (older stock) Rhodia DotPad paper.

In the absence of a factory-supplied ink converter in the Majohn A1 I received, I transplanted the Pilot CON-50 converter (still filled with Platinum Carbon Black) into it; and, no, it didn't just work, but it's very difficult for me to diagnose what exactly were the problems, and whether a possibly imperfect fit of the converter has anything to do with it.

By the time I finally got it working and writing (smoothly) using the same converter and fill of ink, and on the same sheet of paper, lays down lines of ~0.35mm wide. The tines were pressed really tightly together out-of-the-box, and I couldn't get ink flowing properly through onto paper; the marks I managed to make sporadically were a light sepia in colour (i.e. writing very dryly). Trying to floss between the tines with a strip of old developed 35mm film put cuts in the film's substrate; and the nib is extremely stiff, and heavily resisted being manipulated with my fingernails. The nib slit is not perfectly aligned with the clip, once the nib assembly was installed in the pen (and locked in place by the tab on the metal cylinder of the nib unit, which is ever-so-slightly off centre), but sits slightly rotated.

(I've since removed the Pilot converter from the Majohn A1, and replaced it with the empty cartridge and protective metal shell supplied, after cleaning the nib unit. Surprisingly, now the nib slit is in alignment with the clip. I can't quite understand at this point how that works.)

p.s. Switching to Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black, and using the cartridge and metal shell as the ink reservoir, before handing the pen over to my wife seems to help reduce the line width not insignificantly. It still writes nowhere near a Pilot EF nib, of course.

Hey, thanks for providing the comparison write up. Was only able to reply recently despite viewing it a couple of days ago.

So we could say that the Pilot EF is finer with roughly the same conditions. I'll probably buy the Pilot 18K EF nib unit later on so thanks on making up my mind on that front.

I have used the pen for about 2 weeks now on consistent basis and I would say I have no problems with the performance or build quality so far.

Seriously considering to buy another 1 or 2 A1 matte black units again in the coming month, unless there is a new finish that catches my interest.

I got a matte black A1 with a clip as part of a group buy in December. It's inked up with Lennon Tool Bar Pouchong Tea ink. It makes for a very pleasant EDC combo.
The clipless design was part of the first batch and is now also available in glossy piano black. The other colors (white, "traffic light yellow" and "azuki bean red") may follow.
As long as I use the pen daily, it doesn't dry out. If I leave it sitting around for a few days, just wiping the nib and feed down with a tissue will get the pen to write again. Currently the A1 is only available with an EF (0.4mm) steel nib option, but I've seen one review that proves they're absolutely compatible with VP nib units.
I have several Moonman pens, and they all write nicely right out of the box. I haven't had any fall apart or be just horrible.
Personally I use them as test balloons when I'm uncertain about a design feature (e.g. the grip section of a Leonardo Momento Zero or the clip on the VP). If I like the writing experience, I may eventually get the non-Chinese pen.
It's not my job to police other pen enthusiasts' moral sensitivities and how they choose to spend their money. There are people who may like a certain design, but can't/don't want to fork over the money for the originals. If there weren't a demand, there'd be no supply.

9 minutes ago, Ka Yuklim said:

I haven't had any fall apart or be just horrible.

I guess you haven't tried a Moonman M6. :)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I got my A1 clip last night.  As others have echoed, it is put together well and feels very solid.  I was surprised to see all the accessories that came with it, although mine did not come in a box.  I inked it up with Aurora Black and have written a couple pages so far. Mine definitely writes like an EF.  It is significantly thinner than my C1 and T1 in F.   I am writing on Rhodia dot pad.  This seems to be in contrary to others expressing it wrote wider.   I wish it wrote a little more wet, but it is probably consistent with typical EF nibs.  I have brass shims and use them to adjust no. 6 nibs regularly... but I am going to leave this one as is.  Once the Aurora Black is out, I am going to try some Noodlers BP black.  That will probably be the default ink for this pen.  For the price, it is a great value imho.  I wish I would have purchased another one or two for family.  Now the price has gone up $10....

Edited by Holben
spelling and clarity

A few more color options appear to be coming to the Majohn store on Taobao. The matte black clipless option is the only one left after the page is fully loaded (perhaps the only option in stock?), but I got this screenshot of the options that show while the page is loading.

image.png.848d7f0b403ad09890bf63a2c54ac59b.png

Along with the already known colors, there are Pearl blue, Pearl green, and Pearl white options listed. I didn't find any pictures of the new colors, though.

Here is the list of colors with the help of Google Translate:

• Matte Black
  • Cloud White
  • Lantern Yellow
  • Bean Red
  • Piano black
  • Pearl blue
  • Pearl green
  • pearl white
  • Matte black (clipless version)
  • Piano Black (clipless version)

On 1/9/2022 at 5:25 PM, penzel_washinkton said:

.... I'll probably buy the Pilot 18K EF nib unit later on...

Are these available online?  Sorry if this is a newbie question.  I have not seen pilot replacement parts online.  Thank you.

6 minutes ago, Holben said:

Are these available online?  Sorry if this is a newbie question.  I have not seen pilot replacement parts online.  Thank you.

Try Googling "Pilot Vanishing Point Nib Unit"

8 minutes ago, VillersCotterets said:

Try Googling "Pilot Vanishing Point Nib Unit"

Right, that it is the whole unit, and not just the nib.

4 minutes ago, Holben said:

Right, that it is the whole unit, and not just the nib.

You missed a small little word. He is planning to buy a nib unit.

On 1/9/2022 at 6:25 PM, penzel_washinkton said:

I'll probably buy the Pilot 18K EF nib unit later on

6 minutes ago, VillersCotterets said:

You missed a small little word. He is planning to buy a nib unit.

Right - not just the nib.  Thank you.

Pilot spare nibs are available.  They always include a free pen and coverter.  How kind!

Add lightness and simplicate.

Just to clarify, the Pilot capless pens sells their nib unit (not nib only) separately and that is the one I plan to buy.

However, I only see the gold nibs being sold and not the alloy version.

49 minutes ago, penzel_washinkton said:

However, I only see the gold nibs being sold and not the alloy version.

I've never seen or heard of standalone/replacement Pilot Capless ‘special alloy’ nib units being made available for retail. Everyone — including me — who has bought Pilot Capless nib units got 18K gold ones. Cheaper than buying the whole pen (complete with 18K gold nibs) outside of Japan, and that's the point; my understanding is that the Pilot Capless models with ‘special alloy’ nibs are for the Japanese domestic market only, but standalone nib units (of either material) are not available in the Japanese domestic market.

So the cheaper option in Japan is to buy a whole alloy-nibbed pen; and the cheaper option elsewhere, assuming you already have a Pilot Capless pen body, is to buy just the 18K gold nib unit.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

On 1/12/2022 at 11:11 AM, A Smug Dill said:

I guess you haven't tried a Moonman M6. :)

No, I haven't. But now my curiosity is piqued. I'll get back to you in a year or two to let you know how my "Moonmen" are holding up. Cheers.

6 hours ago, J120 said:

Red and Blue Clipless Models

Looks like that is the Pearl Blue color. Not as quite as blue as I was expecting...

Cloud white vs pearl white is going to be interesting lol

I just want the nib units to be released already, I can wait on colorways until after the Chinese New Year.

I can also confirm that you still cannot get ink shipped out, no matter how small. Customs returned my huge order of cartridges and a few of the new pens because I included some of the inked capped cartridges. Annoying. The flagship store is great though, they are just taking the ink bottle out of the box and replacing it with things I do want. 

8 hours ago, J120 said:

Red and Blue Clipless Models

SmartSelect_20220117-034417.jpg

SmartSelect_20220117-034434.jpg

Where will or are these available?

Ordered a matte black and it's delayed, sic, in the factory. Will get it when it arrives, I guess.🤔

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

The Taobao flagship store has them but they sell out immediately after a few hours. They restock every few days but you have to stay on top of it if you want a specific model or color. The store has 12 options listed as of 1/17