Majohn A1 (a capless clone)

VillersCotterets

I am not sure about the model name, maybe A1, but Majohn/Moonman has definitively released a metal Capless clone as seen in several video reviews on several Chinese websites. I'll post more photographs when I found some. It's so similar to the Capless, I wonder if it's produced under licence. The only difference I can spot is the middle ring that is a millimetre bigger, otherwise the Pilot internal module fit perfectly inside the Majohn body.
2057184587_MajohnCaplessA1.thumb.jpg.3ea73f75605d266c6d6dca2791c72822.jpg

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J120

• A Smug Dill

• Karmachanic

• Helen350

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From very approximative translations, seems like most reviewers noticed the seal isn't as good as on the Pilot. The nib might dry out fast. 

no, I doubt very much that it's under license, but as I was saying in another thread, the reason these copy pens are now practically identical (at least in the looks) to the originals is that very likely they are being copied with advanced technology, i.e. 3D laser scanning. The software then produces a 3D model that can be used to produce an identical item...

I'm glad I have no attraction to these pens, I don't own an original capless, as I find them uncomfortable, although having tried one I admit they have very nice nibs and write really well.

I will be curious to know how the copy nibs fare.

1 hour ago, sanphoemo said:

Any idea where to get them yet?

I haven't seen them available anywhere yet. They are sold around ~25$USD in China, so I am expecting them to be sold abroad double that price, around 50$USD, in a few weeks, on eBay, Etsy, AliExpress, etc. This usually what happens.

39 minutes ago, VillersCotterets said:

I haven't seen them available anywhere yet. They are sold around ~25$USD in China, so I am expecting them to be sold abroad double that price, around 50$USD, in a few weeks, on eBay, Etsy, AliExpress, etc. This usually what happens.

Thank you +2

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Much as I'm looking forward to this, I've but one fear: That it'll say Majohn in bold text somewhere on the barrel.

Moonman would've looked great, but I don't know how to feel about the transitory name.

image.png.046f3b8554b79855cdd58cc7b0aa06f4.png

14 hours ago, socialmoth said:

I've but one fear: That it'll say Majohn in bold text somewhere on the barrel.

Whereas I'd be happy for the pens to be clearly, or even prominently, branded Majohn instead of Moonman on the exterior. A name is just a name, and quite frankly neither of those sounds classier than each other.

(For that matter, I don't think either Sailor or Pilot sound particularly classy as brand names; but they have earned brand recognition from hobbyists, and positive association with quality or even middle-class luxury, over the past decades in their respective century-long histories.)

I'll concede that I personally prefer the Moonman name, which is less jarring to Western eyes and ears, than Majohn. However, in a way, jarring is exactly what it can be expected to be, given that implicit in the name change is a big fat "screw you" to Kaweco's antics.

To sport (no pun intended!) a Majohn-branded pen is to declare that one doesn’t mind the practice of reproducing product designs where it is legal to do so, with or without expressing outright support for it. I love ('knock' type) Pilot Capless pens, have a dozen of them between my wife and me, and think highly of the brand; but I don't feel Pilot needs my protection of its market share and revenue by abstaining from, or even flat out denouncing, buying copycat products from competitors.

So seeing the Majohn name where it could have exhibited the less confronting Moonman name is hardly something to fear. The opportunity for the individual customer to choose between the names (and any associations through product ownership) was never there, and so it isn't as if one would be reminded by the Majohn branding to castigate oneself for having missed the boat.

I'd probably get one of the matt black Majohn A1 pens some time. The other ones don't really appeal, on account of my having decided over the years that Pilot Capless pens with smooth, glossy finishes yield less pleasing user experiences subjectively.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

11 hours ago, socialmoth said:

Much as I'm looking forward to this, I've but one fear: That it'll say Majohn in bold text somewhere on the barrel.

Moonman would've looked great, but I don't know how to feel about the transitory name.

image.png.046f3b8554b79855cdd58cc7b0aa06f4.png

That Moonman logo actually looks pretty nice IMO.

4 hours ago, MuddyWaters said:

Maybe the worst of the copies so far. Sanseri must be right. They are pumping the copies out at very rapid rates. 

I thought the Platinum Curidas clone by Lanbitou (model 3088?), though not by Majohn, was the worst of the copies so far?

As far as the ones Moonman/Majohn has done, I thought the most blatant was actually the Moonman F9, if that's what you meant by ‘worst’ (not by product quality or performance, but sheer brazenness).

Looking on Taobao and reddit, it appears that the first batch of the Majohn A1 (which, I suppose from the images above, all bear the Moonman name) all sold out in a flash overwhelmingly to buyers in the Chinese domestic market. I think it'll be kinda funny/ironic if later production batches, being more available to consumers in Western markets by way of AliExpress and eBay, will all bear the Majohn name; if you're an ‘early adopter’ in China who is prepared to pay for the next new and shiny toy in the market for ‘spare change’ of US$25 or so, your sensibilities are not implicitly called into question or challenged. On the other hand, if you're a hobbyist in Western and/or overseas markets, where the sort of mindset that objects to copying what is allowed by law in the country of production (on account of such resources and capabilities not being put to ‘better’ use) is likely to be more common, you'll have to make more of a stand to settle the tug-of-war between curiosity/FOMO and supposed principles.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

The capless is such a distinctive design that no one can say this was merely an inspiration, like sailor of Montblanc, or Montblanc of Sheaffer, or whatever the classic argument is. 

Practically, the truth is that I bought many Chinese pens in my life. What I would recommend is to stick to the cheap ones to experiment with different pen styles and body shapes, and if one wants to spend more, to the wing sung victo pens that use their own designs (inspired of course) and make good work pens. 

I sincerely think that all these moonman and majohn pens are not worth the money in addition to being morally suspect, because they fall apart and have poor nibs. It's just more economical financially and emotionally to buy one or two solid pens and forgo purchases of these things. 

I do hope that sales of the majohn to North America are somehow blocked or unadvertised like they were for the moonman. 

On 11/19/2021 at 10:36 AM, ext23 said:

That Moonman logo actually looks pretty nice IMO.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I love the Moonman logo; but it's the Majohn logo that worries me.

On 11/19/2021 at 11:06 AM, A Smug Dill said:

...I think it'll be kinda funny/ironic if later production batches, being more available to consumers in Western markets by way of AliExpress and eBay, will all bear the Majohn name...

It's pretty much the prospect of this happening that I'm worrying about considering they're mostly inaccessible at the moment 😬

Personally I find the name Majohn less jarring than Moonman, but then again I don't over-analyse every little thing.

May get one of these.  Have a Decimo but never tried a VP as the writing performance will be the same.  The A1 nib is worth a tilt though.  As for colors of pens, for someone (I) who is all about the writing, colors have zero bearing on my choice.

On 11/19/2021 at 12:43 PM, MuddyWaters said:

in addition to being morally suspect,

Guess it depends upon whose morals/laws/culture.  There is no universal criterion.  We tend to think that "ours" are correct, and of a higher standard, than those of  "others".  Who is we and who is other rests upon where one stands.  Things that are acceptable here can be anathema there.

Add lightness and simplicate.

I sincerely think that all these moonman and majohn pens are not worth the money in addition to being morally suspect, because they fall apart and have poor nibs. It's just more economical financially and emotionally to buy one or two solid pens and forgo purchases of these things. 

There are plenty of people who like and use moonman pens, and they don't fall apart and have poor nibs in general (shh, don't mention the poor nibs on real expensive pens that we've all read about).  Morality is up to you, there's no absolute right and wrong.  Don't like what they're doing, don't buy the product.  And it's not financially more economical to spend more than a certain amount on a pen no matter who makes it.

Moonman >>>>> Majohn imo.

I hope they keep putting Moonman on the pens (and nibs) and just write Majohn in the title & photoshop the pics 😑

As for the A1: Seems to be a similar situation to the Curidas vs Lanbitou 3088. Same look, but worse sealing.

Only that the Moonman A1 apoarently is not quite as cheaply priced.

If it ends up in the $50 region I'm definitely NOT interested.

Weird clipless model discovered among other promotional photographs. Is it a prototype never to be released? A future release? A copy from another compagny? 

unknown model.jpg